Latest Posts

Topic: Trade System Blueprint

raistware

Topic Opener
Ranking
Likes to be here
Posted at: 2010-05-05, 11:54

I have created a blueprint drafts for Trade System. https://blueprints.launchpad.net/widelands/+spec/trade-system

Widelands need a trade system.

Proposal is that every player that wants to trade must build one or more "Marketplace" or "Harbour".

Marketplaces need a "Trader" (carrier + donkey) to work. Harbour need a "Trade Ship" (¿carrier + ship?) to work.

From now Marketplace and Harbour will be referenced as market. From now Trader and Trade Ship will be referenced as trader.

At markets, player must select an amount of one good to trade (export), and what goods want in change (import). When goods to export arrives to markets, then trader get goods and start to move towards discovered markets. When trader arrives to a other tribe market that tribe can select to accept or reject trade. If trade is accepted, then goods transported by trader are deposited on tribe market, and trader get exchanged goods to get back to his own market. Market goods are picked up by carriers and then added to player economy.

The more markets, more traders to travel arround.

Trader can only walk to any discovered market on map.

Every Trader can transport only up to 10 goods at time, but should move slower that normal carrier, maybe 1/2 speed?

Trade Ship should be able to transport more goods, may be 20.

For human players, when a Trader arrives to one of his markets, a visual icon of trader should be shown, and when player clicks on it a dialog of trade is showed with two buttons: Accept or Reject.

Please comment here your opinions.

07.05.2010 - Added sea point of view suggested by WLfan.

Edited: 2010-05-07, 09:30

Top Quote
ixprefect

Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2010-05-05, 16:34

This would mesh well with an ability for more targeted exploration / scouting: use a Scout to find other players' markets, then let the Trader do his trades.

Top Quote
SirVer

Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2010-05-06, 09:54

Trading has a lot of technical details to be fixed first: first, we have to merge all tribes into a meta tribe and fix the ui problems that come with this.

ixprefect: since you only trade with friends you will grant you vision, there is not much need to scout for markets I guess.

I always thought, trading should be done via roads at the border. You can only trade with people that have adjacent frontiers to your land; it seems strange that your traders could walk the whole way through your enemy territory.

I very much like to see this developed and implemented. Trading will offer fantastic gameplay for teams, for example one player concentrates on wood while the other one concentrates on ores.

Top Quote
WLfan

Ranking
Just found this site
Posted at: 2010-05-06, 23:04

This would be a good idea if you combine this with the possibility of allies. Sometimes stones can be as valuable as gold in this game. It's a great idea, but as SirVer says, it's a lot of work to make it.

Building: marketplace or harbor / Worker: trader / needs: ship or cart

I also think you need more tribes. For example: barbarians can make coal out of trunks. If you really want benefit of trade you need more types of tribes, let's say a tribe that can make stone out of clay (buid claydigger near swamps).

Edited: 2010-05-06, 23:04

Top Quote
SirVer

Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2010-05-07, 20:49

more tribes are currently out of the question. Those who are around need to be balanced before we add more. More game mechanics would be nice then: seafaring, science. There is plenty of possibility for trading as it stands now.

Top Quote
LennStar

Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2010-05-09, 12:46

I would vote that every tribe can build everything, at least with big efford. I will write a concept of that (I hope I get it done today).

But of course, you could implement special tribe Items that are necessary for special buildings. e.g. the biggest miliary building is native to the empire and you need "Empire special ressource" to build it.

"Scratch any cynic and you’ll find a disappointed idealist."

Top Quote
ixprefect

Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2010-05-09, 13:04

If every tribe can build everything, then what is the point of having different tribes? The tribes are different because we want to have different gameplay for different tribes.

Okay, so you want them to have different cost. Still, why would that make sense? This looks to me like a "Wouldn't it be cool... ?" day dream that hasn't really been though to the end.

Edited: 2010-05-09, 13:06

Top Quote