Latest Posts

Topic: Widelands customization

TheHunter
Topic Opener
Ranking
Likes to be here
Posted at: 2018-07-07, 21:31

What..template..??Ahh i need some help with blender this is first time im using it for something like this.Please respond as quick as you can so i can start with egyptians.

Top Quote
TheHunter
Topic Opener
Ranking
Likes to be here
Posted at: 2018-07-07, 21:47

So i wrote wares on paper once everything is ready im going to put it on "work wall" and start working on everything here is the list of wares(not yet 100% sure about everything):

Log

Sandstone

Planks

Gold ore

Gold

Copper ore

Copper

Coal

Fish

Meat

Reeds

Wheat

Wheat flour

Bread

Cloth

Crystals are changed to Gems

Copper spear

Golden spear

Hardened shield

Golden shield

Beer

Dates

Milk

If you have more ideas for wares just say here so i can change it.And when i start making tribe i will make sure that you get informed of every change.

Also egyptians will be able to replenish their meat supply by building Cow farm.They will also get Milk from there.

Edited: 2018-07-07, 21:49

Top Quote
Nordfriese
Version: Latest master
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2018-07-07, 21:58

I strongly recommend using the template file so the lighting settings, shadows etc of your models will fit in with the other graphics. Get a checkout of the wl-media repository on launchpad:

bzr branch lp:widelands-media 

You´ll find an empty building template for example in /graphics/tribes/frisians/empty_template.blend.
To make sure you get the cardinal directions correct, you can append the map_paths object (it´s part of nearly every frisian building blend file in the repo).

For the resizing of images, you can use a Java program I wrote to make scaling, moving and resizing easier. It´s in /graphics/tools/Graphics Tools (Java). You may find it a bit cumbersome in the beginning, but it can make getting your Renders into your egyptians branch much easier.

See also https://wl.widelands.org/wiki/BlenderPerspective/

But it´s a bit early to start modelling. I suggest you use placeholder images (copy-paste from other tribes) until you´re sure no building will become obsolete. For Frisians, I made only sketches (which are now in trunk), and I´m now designing better images in a branch.
A few buildings which I originally planned for Frisians were removed later. This can easily happen for Egyptians too; chances are that the tribe will get some major tweaking all the time. I guess you wouldn´t like it if you did some of the work for nothing face-smile.png

Top Quote
TheHunter
Topic Opener
Ranking
Likes to be here
Posted at: 2018-07-07, 22:02

Thank you for fast respond im going to start working as fast as i can.Now before you go what program to use for designing wares?

Top Quote
Nordfriese
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2018-07-07, 22:28

Wares are defined in data/tribes/wares/. Each ware has its own directory and is defined by the init.lua there. You can edit that with any plain-text editor, e.g. pluma, gedit etc. on Linux or notepad on Windows. You can find detailed explanations in the init.lua for the ware armor.
There is also a file helptexts.lua, which contains the texts for the in-game help. It´s also a plain text file.
And there are two png images for the in-game graphics.
That´s all there is to a ware.

To create a new ware, just copy an existing ware directory and adjust its init.lua (and later the other files) as you need them. If your tribe uses a ware that already exists, you only need to edit it´s init.lua to set the default target quantity and preciousness for egyptians.

All other tribe items are created in a similar way. Also take a look at the documentation at https://wl.widelands.org/documentation/lua_tribes/ and in the files

data/tribes/buildings/productionsites/atlanteans/armorsmithy/init.lua
data/tribes/buildings/militarysites/atlanteans/castle/init.lua
data/tribes/buildings/trainingsites/atlanteans/dungeon/init.lua
data/tribes/buildings/warehouses/atlanteans/headquarters/init.lua
data/tribes/workers/atlanteans/armorsmith/init.lua
data/tribes/ships/atlanteans/init.lua
data/tribes/immovables/ashes/init.lua
data/tribes/atlanteans.lua

You´ll also need to add every new unit to the data/tribes/init.lua, and your tribe to the data/tribes/preload.lua.

Yep, that´s quite a lot of work before you can play the first test game face-smile.png

Top Quote
TheHunter
Topic Opener
Ranking
Likes to be here
Posted at: 2018-07-07, 22:37

Oh and i saw that you want camels to be carriers so do you want to keep camels or do you have some other animals on mind.

Top Quote
hessenfarmer
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2018-07-07, 23:36

just to m ake it clear. I assume you - the Hunter - like to work on egyptians. This is a good vision to work on. However after some thinking I really like the idea of ypopezios of a nomadic tribe based on the ouput of goats. So for me this is different. Therefore i don't expect to have tents for the egyptian tribe. even not for small buildings. Camels as carriers would fit better to the nomadic tribe as well. So the second carrier could be human as well (which means egyptians don't need a second carrier breeding) or it could be horses which would be necessary anyway to upgrade with chariots.
regarding the wares I would use milk for advanced meals and beer to train soldiers. so your wares list is missing the food for miners. What about having a mine where productivity is dependent of experience and food supply ? regarding soldier training we need to decide whether to go for the no attack training route, which would made an interesting tribe. or the chariot route. in both of them we won't need any advanced spears. just basic ones for barracks. Copper will be no great use as ir behaves the same as iron so although historically incorrect we could stay with iron instead of copper.
Probably we shouold create a new egyptians thread to further discuss this issue. At least we should add ypopezios idea of a nomadic desert tribe to the thread where new tribe ideas are discussed. I really like the idea behinf this.

Edited: 2018-07-07, 23:37

Top Quote
Nordfriese
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2018-07-08, 11:57

hessenfarmer wrote:

So the second carrier could be human as well (which means egyptians don't need a second carrier breeding)

Interesting idea face-smile.png

What about having a mine where productivity is dependent of experience and food supply ?

Food-supply dependant mines would also be very nice.
Basing mine output on worker experience requires engine changes. But fishers, hunters, farmers and all other workers that walk around to do their work can have experience-based programs. For examples, fishers could get a higher working radius after a certain number of fish caught.

regarding soldier training we need to decide whether to go for the no attack training route, which would made an interesting tribe. or the chariot route.

I´d vote for no attack training, mainly because I don´t see how chariots could fit in with 1-second-attacks. But it´s TheHunter´s choice of course face-smile.png

in both of them we won't need any advanced spears. just basic ones for barracks. Copper will be no great use as ir behaves the same as iron so although historically incorrect we could stay with iron instead of copper.

I agree copper could be dismissed. Barbarian "bronze" is made from iron and gold, so not everything needs to be completely correct…

What do Egyptians use for health training? Helmets, armour, …? With what are new soldiers equipped? And have you thought about the distribution of training levels yet?

Top Quote
TheHunter
Topic Opener
Ranking
Likes to be here
Posted at: 2018-07-08, 12:06

I was a little bit full of ideas i agree with you we are going with no attack route and copper will be dismissed.I havent wrote armors yet but i think we should have golden armor and hardened armor.I already wrote my idea of shields but im not sure which type of shields should we have.Now for that nomadic tribe i dont know what to do should i continue with egyptians or i should create nomads?

This will be discused at game suggestions topic named Egyptians

Edited: 2018-07-08, 12:08

Top Quote
TheHunter
Topic Opener
Ranking
Likes to be here
Posted at: 2018-07-08, 12:24

I read stuff about nomads and they live in tents.They do so because they move from one place to other so they can easily transport tents.If we are going with nomads i already have some ideas for campaign.At topic Egyptians we will discuss both of tribes and one thats most wanted i will work on it but personally i now think nomads are good but rgyptians arent bad at all.I wont decide alone write your opinion at Egyptians topic in game suggestions.

Top Quote