Latest Posts

Topic: Older versions

YorkieOl
Topic Opener
Ranking
Just found this site
Posted at: 2018-06-09, 11:55

Hi peeps..

I used to have widelands installed and working on an older laptop - pre-openGL2.0, running 1.4 I believe..

Trouble is, I can no longer install and play the latest version from the ppa (openGL2?). Can anyone tell me how to get the pre-OpenGL2 build? I have looked, just cant find..

My thanks in advance for any help given (with the exception of "get new laptop")..

Top Quote
ypopezios
Ranking
Widelands-Forum-Junkie
Posted at: 2018-06-09, 12:33

Did you have a look here?

Top Quote
ypopezios
Ranking
Widelands-Forum-Junkie
Posted at: 2018-06-09, 12:47

Also here ?

Top Quote
YorkieOl
Topic Opener
Ranking
Just found this site
Posted at: 2018-06-09, 12:54

Hi ypopezios,

Thanks for your response.. I didn’t spot that address, that’s exactly what I’m looking for.. many thanks to you..

It must be a GL thing as I get the following from terminal:

$ ./widelands This is Widelands Version build-19 (Release) Set home directory: /home/**/.widelands There's no configuration file, using default values. Adding directory: /usr/share/games/widelands/data selected language: (system language) using locale en_IE.UTF-8 Graphics: Try to set Videomode 800x600 glewInit returns 1 Your OpenGL installation must be very broken. Missing GL version

Caught exception (of type '10WException') in outermost handler! The exception said: [/build/widelands-H_4qMe/widelands-19-1/src/graphic/gl/initialize.cc:90] glewInit returns 1: Broken OpenGL installation.

This should not happen. Please file a bug report on version build-19(Release). and remember to specify your operating system.

$ ./widelands --xres=800 --yres=600 This is Widelands Version build-19 (Release) Set home directory: /home/**/.widelands There's no configuration file, using default values. Adding directory: /usr/share/games/widelands/data selected language: (system language) using locale en_IE.UTF-8 Graphics: Try to set Videomode 800x600 glewInit returns 1 Your OpenGL installation must be very broken. Missing GL version

Caught exception (of type '10WException') in outermost handler! The exception said: [/build/widelands-H_4qMe/widelands-19-1/src/graphic/gl/initialize.cc:90] glewInit returns 1: Broken OpenGL installation.

This should not happen. Please file a bug report on version build-19(Release). and remember to specify your operating system.

$ ./widelands --fullscreen=false This is Widelands Version build-19 (Release) Set home directory: /home/**/.widelands There's no configuration file, using default values. Adding directory: /usr/share/games/widelands/data selected language: (system language) using locale en_IE.UTF-8 Graphics: Try to set Videomode 800x600 glewInit returns 1 Your OpenGL installation must be very broken. Missing GL version

I do have an interest in c++ programming as a hobby (no expert at all), have used SDL and SDL_GL. If ive used GL, I must have it, but its an old laptop and doesn’t have the latest video card or GL2.0

Once again, My thankx to you.. face-wink.png

Top Quote
kaputtnik
Version: current master
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2018-06-09, 14:57

Hi YorkieOl and welcome to the forums face-smile.png

I think you are on linux OS? Which?

I am also using linux, but use the non proprietary driver (mesa).

Can you provide some information of your used graphics card and the used driver? Eg by running:

glxinfo | grep -i 'renderer string'
OpenGL renderer string: Mesa DRI Intel(R) Sandybridge Mobile

The last version of widelands which uses software rendering, so no OpenGL is needed, is Version 18, afaik.

Edited: 2018-06-09, 15:03

Fight simulator for Widelands:
https://wide-fighter.netlify.app/

Top Quote
YorkieOl
Topic Opener
Ranking
Just found this site
Posted at: 2018-06-09, 17:14

Hi kaputtnik and thankyou..

The (very old) video card is: Mobile Intel® 945GM 

And as far as I'm aware the acer aspire 5630 is not one of the Aspire's that can take an upgrade, so unless some cash falls into my hands to buy a nice new Lenovo (Lenovo actually supports linux by supplying drivers) I'm pretty much stuck with what I have..

I'm not certain external links are appreciated on this forum but I'll chance it.. Below is a link to the specks sheet, funnily enough it supports 64bit. Lol.

https://www.cnet.com/products/acer-aspire-5630-6431-15-4-core-2-duo-t5200-vista-home-premium-1-gb-ram-120-gb-hdd-series/specs/

A little about me, hence my choice of distro (Ubuntu based)..

After 8bit zx48 and c64, my 1st 'real' computer was the amiga1200, so I'm comfortable with she'll and the likes, but still worked with a smart desktop, thanks to opus5 & Magellan. That computer died, due to mis management and further undermined by ms, who wanted multitasking..

I couldn't afford apple, so rebuilt a pc from reclamation and a few quid of my own. Linux was pretty niche back then an awfull lot of bash for your buck and I was new to bash and never quite got it, staying with Windoze.

Then linux became more graphical and was an option away from ms. I tried a few, including puppy, but rested with mint 17.3. It used to be my 2nd os to ms, but now mint boots first and I'm happy... Learnt some bash too and still learning..

So that's my story.. I did have widelands from the software repository, but on the tower, upgraded with the terminal and the ppa. I reinstalled the laptop after a hdd change and installed widelands via terminal. Now all I get if I start from desktop is a flash of a window and from the terminal, as you see above..

I did go the the link provided above and chose the earliest version. I'm not on the laptop right now, so can't be exact, still, if I run the earliest version, I'm getting "segmentation fault". I'll keep playing when I can to try get it working, cause I love this little game.. I remember settlers and settlers II with pride.. face-smile.png

Top Quote
YorkieOl
Topic Opener
Ranking
Just found this site
Posted at: 2018-06-09, 17:48

Build 15

Top Quote
kaputtnik
Version: current master
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2018-06-09, 19:59

Acer Aspire.... i had one of those also... didn't remember the graphics card, but this laptop was a pain... some time it was not able to run any game on it, because the graphics wasn't supported by linux anymore. If i remember rightly, Widelands version 17 was the last playable version on this laptop. But very slllooooowwww face-grin.png

It's always a pity if a working thing (e.g. computer) does not work anymore, because the software can't handle the hardware anymore, or the software is such power hungry that effective working isn't possible anymore...

My desktop computer is also very old, from time to time party upgraded. I guess the next thing is the graphics card that must be upgraded, but i will use it as long as it works for me.

I think most people here in this forum are here because they remember settlersII face-wink.png

Fight simulator for Widelands:
https://wide-fighter.netlify.app/

Top Quote
WorldSavior
Version: Recent tournament version
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2018-06-09, 20:21

YorkieOl wrote:

Build 15

Have you already tried to execute just "sudo apt-get install widelands" in your console? If no ppas are involved (you can remove them all before), this should bring you build18, which is outdated, but probably much more modern than build15.

By the way: https://wl.widelands.org/wiki/Download/

Edit: Or what about installing Widelands via Ubuntu software center?

Edited: 2018-06-09, 20:24

Wanted to save the world, then I got widetracked

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2018-06-22, 09:35

You can't find Widelands in the software center, despite my spending many days on that **** xml file they want... because we're not in Debian Stable. Maybe we can change that for the next version.

Build 18 is the version that you should try.

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote