Latest Posts

Topic: Widelands tournament Easter 2018

einstein13
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2018-03-30, 10:07

Hi everyone! Happy Easter!

I would like to announce first economy Widelands tournament!

The tournament is to measure how good is your economy. There will be no direct battles between players. So it will be the first tournament about building, not destroying here.

What are the basic rules?

You should start the single-player game with:

1. Map: The Nile (official version)
  2. Starting position: #1 (blue), headquarters, tribe of your choice
  3. Type of game: Endless game (no fog)

Your goal is to produce as much soldier power as possible. There will be several categories where you can win:

1. Highest soldier power after 12 hours of the game
  2. Highest soldier power after 24 hours of the game
  3. Highest increase of soldier power between 12 and 24 hour of the game
  4. Highest number of fully promoted soldiers after 24 hours of the game

So if you want to participate in any of the category, you just start your game, save after about 12 hours of the game (screenshots are welcome here too) and after 24 hours. Answer this topic with your results and send me a replay. My e-mail is widelands.tournament@o2.pl. Please include also number of the Widelands version (dev XXXX, build 19 or so) for reference. After confirming the results, I will update lists in this post. I will provide replays from all participants for the reference.

There is no limit for participants to send their games. You can try to build better economy empire and push your stats even higher!

The tournament ends within 2 full months, so you have time till 31st of May 2018.

More specific rules

Highest soldier power after some hours of the game

The best check for that stats is to use in-game stats and picking "military power". That will allow to see exact power of the soldiers. That is the base for our tournament values. The more you have, the better it is. The amount of time was picked to compare two types of players: those who can establish working economy very fast and they produce as much soldiers as possible from beginning of the game and players who like to build the economy after some time and think that they beat the first group of players face-smile.png . If you want, you can participate only with the first category.

Highest increase of soldier power

This value came from substracting two numbers: soldier power after 24 hours and soldier power after 12 hours. This should compare if the player can constantly produce lots of high-qualified soldiers in a short time. So if you think that you can't produce much soldiers in previous two categories, you can try to pick this one. Can you have 20 labyrinths or trainings camps working for 100% constantly? This category is for you!

Highest number of fully promoted soldiers

The rules for this category is a bit different from previous ones. Here I ask players who wants to participate in this category to build lots of big military buildings next to each other (perfectly fortresses, castles). I will count how many fully promoted soldiers will be inside of those buildings. Advice here: try to use a shore of other spot where counting is easier. Also you can count the number by yourself and paste the results in your participation post. It will make the life easier face-smile.png . If you build smaller buildings, it will also count, but will be harder to count. Make the life easier face-wink.png . Soldiers inside warehouses (ports & headquarters) don't count!

Replay directory

You can see all files I have received from players in URL: http://wuatek.no-ip.org/~rak/widelands/Tournament2018.

Other questions

If you have any other questions, please ask. Here, in this thread, via private message or e-mail. I will try to answer as fast as possible.

Final tournament results

1. Highest soldier power after 12 hours

No. Player Power Exact time Version Tribe
1 WorldSavior 22035 12:01 build19 Barbarian
2 Ferenc 9107 11:53 build19 Barbarian
3 king_of_nowhere 6417 12:00 dev8635 Atlantean
4 Carsten 4160 12:00 build19 Empire
5 tando 3633 12:00 dev8635 Barbarian
6 kaputtnik 2641 12:00 dev8653 Empire
7 hessenfarmer 2242 12:00 dev8632 Frisians
8 einstein13 1374 12:00 dev8365 Empire
9 Tinker 720 11:57 dev8635 Frisians

2. Highest soldier power after 24 hours

No. Player Power Exact time Version Tribe
1 WorldSavior 83230 24:00 build19 Barbarian
2 king_of_nowhere 32343 24:00 dev8635 Atlantean
3 Carsten 18982 24:02 build19 Empire
4 tando 17815 24:00 dev8635 Barbarian
5 einstein13 12953 24:00 dev8693 Empire
6 hessenfarmer 10806 24:00 dev8632 Frisians
7 Ferenc 9107 11:53 build19 Barbarian
8 Tinker 720 11:57 dev8635 Frisians

3. Highest increase of soldier power

No. Player Increase Version Tribe
1 WorldSavior 61195 build19 Barbarian
2 king_of_nowhere 25926 dev8635 Atlantean
3 Carsten 14822 build19 Empire
4 tando 14182 dev8635 Babarian
5 einstein13 11607 dev8693 Empire
6 hessenfarmer 8564 dev8632 Frisians

4. Number of fully promoted soldiers

No. Player Total number Version Tribe
1 WorldSavior 3529 build19 Atlantean
2 king_of_nowhere 3042 dev8635 Atlantean
3 Carsten 1399 dev8639 Empire
4 tando 1205 dev8635 Barbarian
5 einstein13 1050 dev8693 Empire
6 hessenfarmer 300 dev8632 Frisians
7 Tinker 29 dev8635 Frisians
8 kaputtnik 26 dev8653 Empire
Edited: 2018-06-01, 10:40

einstein13
calculations & maps packages: http://wuatek.no-ip.org/~rak/widelands/
backup website files: http://kartezjusz.ddns.net/upload/widelands/

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2018-03-31, 08:54

Thanks! I have announced it on the homepage.

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote
WorldSavior
Version: Recent tournament version
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2018-03-31, 11:13

einstein13 wrote:

Hi everyone! Happy Easter!

Hi einstein, happy easter for you, too. Your post is very interesting...

1. Highest soldier power after 12 hours of the game
  2. Highest soldier power after 24 hours of the game
  3. Highest increase of soldier power between 12 and 24 hour of the game
  4. Highest number of level 10 soldiers after 24 hours of the game

I'm wondering: Isn't that a little bit too extreme? I made the experience that even solo collectors is rather too long and exhausting, at some point it is not fun anymore face-tongue.png And 24 hours are six times longer...

By the way, I assume that level 10 soldiers mean fully promoted soldiers (either atlanteans don't have level 10 soldiers or level 10 barbarian soldiers are not fully promoted etc.)

There is no limit for participants to send their games. You can try to build better economy empire and push your stats even higher!

Does that mean that everyone can send in as many matches as he wants - instead of only one? Is it possible to become winner of all categories with several different matches?

The tournament ends within 2 full months, so you have time till 31st of May 2018.

More specific rules

Highest number of level 10 soldiers

The rules for this category is a bit different from previous ones. Here I ask players who wants to participate in this category to build lots of big military buildings next to each other (perfectly fortresses, castles). I will count how many level 10 soldiers will be inside of those buildings. Advice here: try to use a shore of other spot where counting is easier. Also you can count the number by yourself and paste the results in your participation post. It will make the life easier face-smile.png . Soldiers inside warehouses (ports & headquarters) don't count!

I assume that wandering soldiers + soldiers in the headquarters are not counting neither, but soldiers in small and medium military buildings count?

Wanted to save the world, then I got widetracked

Top Quote
king_of_nowhere
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2018-03-31, 14:49

24 hours seem a really long time, not sure if I will have the patience for a game thaat long. Especially because I can't speed it up, I still need to keep building everywhere.

Important question: how do we figure out the exact time? Sure, statistics show it to some extent, but you don't have such an accurate count. You can still miss by 10 minutes or so, which makes some difference. An in-game timer would be great here.

Top Quote
WorldSavior
Version: Recent tournament version
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2018-03-31, 15:04

king_of_nowhere wrote:

24 hours seem a really long time, not sure if I will have the patience for a game thaat long. Especially because I can't speed it up, I still need to keep building everywhere.

Similar case here face-wink.png

Important question: how do we figure out the exact time? Sure, statistics show it to some extent, but you don't have such an accurate count. You can still miss by 10 minutes or so, which makes some difference. An in-game timer would be great here.

As I told somewhere, build19 shows the exact minute if you save the game. Unfortunately some developer decided to destroy this feature in trunk.

Edited: 2018-03-31, 17:56

Wanted to save the world, then I got widetracked

Top Quote
kaputtnik
Version: current master
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2018-03-31, 15:34

The easiest thing would be to have a special sort of wincondition which is GameTime based. After 12 hours game time a savegame will be automatically created and after 24 hours an additional save game and the Game pauses.

Since only one map is involved, such a 'wincondition' could also be implemented as a scenario, i think. This could also be adjusted to show a message box every hour saying x time left, x time until final. All what to do is to add a bit scripting to the map and upload it to the website or provide it somewhere else for download.

Fight simulator for Widelands:
https://wide-fighter.netlify.app/

Top Quote
king_of_nowhere
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2018-03-31, 16:16

a bit of a noob question here: how do we make all those huge amount of soldiers? do we really need to place a lot of military buildings somewhere or there is some other way to force the game to make soldiers? I don't suppose we can get away with having weapons and armor in the inventory, right?

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2018-03-31, 16:40

WorldSavior wrote:

As I told somewhere, build19 shows the exact minute if you save the game. Unfortunately some omniscient developer decided to destroy this feature in trunk.

For savegames, just select the savegame from the list, and you'll see the gametime in the right-hand panel.

Replays have always had the problem that they only show the time the game was started and don't show the time the game was finished. Fixing this has been on my wishlist for a few years now.

If you prefer to hunt down the numbers with the b19 interface, you can still do so - you just can't open them.

We already have a bug open for toggling between the pretty names and the raw filenames.

Edited: 2018-03-31, 16:43

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote
einstein13
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2018-03-31, 22:04

Thank you, GunChleoc dor announcing the tournament to the official channel.

Is it too extreme? I don't think so. I haven't played this yet, but I assume that the map is similar to previous one. With my standard expansion, I have started soldiers production after about 8-10 hours. Long time? Possibly. Also in some places in this forum I have spotted people who prefer long games instead of short ones. This tournamemt is also for them.

Level 10 soldiers... I assumed that level 10 soldier is fully promoted one for every tribe. If it isn't, I should change the text then. I will do it rigt after I will have a PC time (now wroting feom mobile). Thanks for getting the issue.

Several tries. Yes, you can be the first in ecery cathegory with different games. But can you spend so long time dor the games? face-smile.png

Counting max level soldiers. Yes, every soldiers in military buildings counts. In every type. Preffered is fortress because it can hold many of them and it is easy to count then. Smaller ones ca be skipped by mistake while counting. Soldiers outside of them don't count. It is hard to coumt their number, plus it would not force the type of the game and the strategy.

Exact time. As it was tokd, after saving the game, you can see the exact time in the menu. In the statistics yoi should see approximate time. In game clock would solve all the problems. Any differebces, lets say +/- 15 minutes should be acceptable, but I don't eant to write it into the official rules. There is a possibility to calculate manpower from known values and increase through the time. My general idea is that there will not be such problems, because participants will have big differences between them. Of course it is an assumption. face-wink.png

Scenario map? I haven't tried making scenario before, but if somebody creates that, I can add an approval to the rules. That would be great for most of players. face-smile.png

Noob question: as I remember, you can set economy settings to produce lets say 9999 soldiers. Then you will have constant production for hours.

Any other questions?

einstein13
calculations & maps packages: http://wuatek.no-ip.org/~rak/widelands/
backup website files: http://kartezjusz.ddns.net/upload/widelands/

Top Quote
king_of_nowhere
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2018-03-31, 22:50

einstein13 wrote:

Is it too extreme? I don't think so. I haven't played this yet, but I assume that the map is similar to previous one. With my standard expansion, I have started soldiers production after about 8-10 hours. Long time? Possibly. Also in some places in this forum I have spotted people who prefer long games instead of short ones. This tournamemt is also for them.

the point is, the nile really is huge. 24 hours is ok time for it. You need four hours just to come in contact with an enemy.

I think this will be my new time killer for the end of the day. One hour or two every evening.

Edited: 2018-03-31, 22:52

Top Quote