Latest Posts

Topic: Let scouts work on unprocessed food

Nasenbaer
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2010-05-02, 12:36

mitchix wrote: (i understand the scout is new and the targeting issue might be unintentional. with the effect of it throws off the balance of ranged war buildings... now i can build a sentry+scout(war-scout) and attack a citadel where before i would not be able to attack the citadel until i build a like building)

Widelands is not a warefare game. So such a feature will not be implemented as it would increase the fighting part of the game.

Top Quote
ixprefect

Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2010-05-02, 13:29

Actually, I think it's a good thing to allow attacking buildings by sentry+scout, as this opens more strategic options. If you had to build a citadel to attack a citadel it would make the game more monotone.

Top Quote
Astuur
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2010-05-02, 20:05

While I like the feature that scouts make enemy military buildings targetable, I think this advantage comes a bit too cheap.

Here is another thought: Remove the feature, and make them a flag action (no food supply needed, but a tool).

If many people miss this, and you want another tactical military feature, create another profession, call it a "spy", fed, house-based, working on demand... and - as this is now clearly a military person-- discoverable and attackable by other soldiers.

A spy should be able to travel faster than soldiers but his chances to come back undiscovered and alive would decrease the heavier enemy territory is guarded.

@Nasenbaer: No, Widelands is not a warfare game, ... and then again, yes, Widelands is a warfare game! I am very happy with building up an economy, surpassing all others in productivity and wealth --- but in the end, WL has some birth defects (like Settlers) that make warfare inevitable: Exhaustible mining resources and the winning conditions. If you wanted a real "non-warfare" game, you'd have to go for wealth and reputation, diplomacy and treaties (and probably Gods, punishing treaty-breakers with natural disasters), -- and reward the player that can feed most citizens or increase their living standard, and, and, and....

I'd love to see all that. But as for now, what counts is military strength to conquer more land for farms, more mountains for steel and so on... All the rest of the economy is a supporting structure for that one purpose. It is not that this game is this, and is not that. What you really are saying, is that you do not want to further emphasize the warfare part of Widelands, because you hope that you can replace the warfare side with some other incentive in the future. And it’s not only you, who can imagine a peaceful, yet challenging WL :) But that is going to be a different game, I think

Edited: 2010-05-02, 20:06

Being no programmer, I apologize for all my suggestions that imply undue workload and for other misjudgements due to lack of expertise or relevant skills.
I am on Win32, have no means to compile, and rely on prefabricated distributions (Thanks to Tino).

Top Quote
ixprefect

Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2010-05-03, 10:46

This is quite off-topic to the discussion here, but it reminds me of the "wonders" in Age of Empires, or the space program in Civilization as an alternative way of winning the game. Of course, when people started building wonders or a space ship, it usually caused a huge amount of warfare ;) Still, I believe it's something to be considered at some point in the future.

Top Quote
LennStar

Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2010-05-03, 19:01

Since this seemed to has been written in the wrong thread (http://wl.widelands.org/forum/topic/443/), I copy it here:

A possible way is to let the scouts (and geologist btw) live in the huts. So for every scout/geologist you need a hut. If the scouts are at home, they scout the neighborhood. Just walking around, keep yourself trained face-wink.png But you can call them to a specific flag, where they go in a big circle, starting at the nearest border.

An addition would be to let them need food for a flag action. You could decide on the type of food and that would define the range they can go.

btw: I have a problem: I cannot attack an enemy because there is no enemy building visible. I could build a building nearer to the borger, but does that help? And is there a difference between military buildings or would any building be enough.

"Scratch any cynic and you’ll find a disappointed idealist."

Top Quote
ixprefect

Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2010-05-03, 22:53

Ultimately, building a building near the border will help. Unfortunately, there are some cases where you really need to build a bigger building to be able to see the enemy's building. That's part of the reason why I think it would be nice to make scouts more "powerful", and especially more directly controllable.

Top Quote
Astuur
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2010-05-04, 09:39

@Lennstar: Buildings, in this case military building have a different reconnaisance horizon. Not always are the big ones the best - look for tall buildings rather than large.

Being no programmer, I apologize for all my suggestions that imply undue workload and for other misjudgements due to lack of expertise or relevant skills.
I am on Win32, have no means to compile, and rely on prefabricated distributions (Thanks to Tino).

Top Quote