Latest Posts

Topic: Animals

Pfunk
Topic Opener
Ranking
Just found this site
Posted at: 2018-02-15, 02:55

I have noticed that the "Elk" are actually Moose and should be renamed as such. A quick look at a photo of each should convince anyone of that. Also the "Deer" look much more like Elk, with Elk-like antlers. Also deer, at least Whitetails and Mule deer, do not go around bugling as the animations show. I think they should be renamed "Elk". And then maybe a capable programmer (not me) could create a deer.

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2018-02-15, 07:41

We currently lack an Elder of Graphics, so there's no telling when we can make more animals. Would be nice though face-smile.png

Our deer looks like this one: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fallow_deer

Or did you mean the stag?

I agree about the elk/moose thing. That probably happened because many of the programmers are German, and the German word for moose is Elch - it's a common mistake to make.

Edited: 2018-02-15, 08:13

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote
Ex-Member
Ranking
Widelands-Forum-Junkie
Posted at: 2018-02-15, 09:48

I would also like to suggest that the animals when hunted are listed differently than just meat.

As it is a rabbit produces 1 meat, so does a sheep, deer or ox which is obviously wrong but I am also looking at expanding hunting so that am Empire hunter, for example, that capture a sheep would also provide wool as well as meat. This is similar to the Frisian reindeer farm that can produce meat and fur from a reindeer.

For any improvements to hunting it would need code changes so that the hunter knows what animal he caught.

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2018-02-15, 11:07

There is an open bug about the amount of meat produced: https://bugs.launchpad.net/widelands/+bug/536504

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote
WorldSavior
Version: Recent tournament version
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2018-02-15, 14:03

Tinker wrote:

I would also like to suggest that the animals when hunted are listed differently than just meat.

As it is a rabbit produces 1 meat, so does a sheep, deer or ox which is obviously wrong but I am also looking at expanding hunting so that am Empire hunter, for example, that capture a sheep would also provide wool as well as meat. This is similar to the Frisian reindeer farm that can produce meat and fur from a reindeer.

Well, the hunter kills the sheep, and as far as I know one cannot use wool from a dead sheep. I don't see why hunters should be suddenly able to capture animals...

Discussion of some time ago:

WorldSavior wrote:

Tinker wrote:

Also hunters would get more meat from larger animals, it is silly that a rabbit gives as much meat as a ox, this would need code changes to expose the animal type to pass to lua scripts.

Yes, that is illogical indeed. But fixing that could also affect the balance heavily, as the barbarian game keepers usually produce big animals. And possibly many maps would have to been checked...

Nevertheless one could think about solving the problem, and the game keepers could produce only rabbits or something like that, that would be better anyway as they are silent face-wink.png

Wanted to save the world, then I got widetracked

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2018-02-18, 10:24

I have created a branch that will rename the "elk" to "moose" https://code.launchpad.net/~widelands-dev/widelands/elk_moose

Pfunk, which version of Widelands are you on? I just noticed that the "Stag" used to be called "Deer" in Build 18.

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote
Pfunk
Topic Opener
Ranking
Just found this site
Posted at: 2018-02-18, 15:56

Thanks for the the pertinent info on the naming of animals. It does seem probable that the German "Elch" or Moose was translated as Elk in English! The Fallow deer does fit the "deer" animation. There are even a few of these "exotic" fellows running around the mountains of Northern Pennsylvania; escapees from game preserves. This is a good reminder that names mean different things to different cultures. I am running build 18 in Mint.

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2018-02-19, 09:35

OK, so the deer -> elk thing has already been fixed by deer -> stag.

Build 18 is many years old, I'm surprised that Mint didn't upgrade to Build 19, which is also 2 years old now.

However, Widelands doesn't appear in the Ubuntu software center either, although I spent many days creating that pesky xml file.

You can get it manually though without the need to compile yourself - see https://wl.widelands.org/wiki/Download/#debianubuntu

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote