Latest Posts

Topic: making scouts more reliable

WorldSavior
Version: Recent tournament version
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2018-01-28, 20:34

teppo wrote:

The scout behavior is changed for sites that are within a radius of 15. The conquer radius of the largest military sites is 12. There are some maps with rough terrain. In those maps even red spots are sparse. There could be one where a player can place a castle so that the opponent cannot build the scout close-enough; I have not found any yet, though. Please give feedback.

The most extreme map - concerning that matter - which comes to my mind is desert tournament. I don't know if you can always place a scout hut that close there, but I guess so. And anyway, the normal scout program has a bigger range than the attack range of military buildings...

Slightly changing topic.

In my opinion, the scouts could stop needing foodstuff to do his job. If this was done, would the scout already be too powerful?

I don't know how powerful he is now after the change. I guess more powerful, and scout huts are probably the cheapest buildings in the game as the scout doesn't need a tool. So I think that he would be too powerful indeed.

Tinker wrote:

Rather than removing their need for rations I would rather see all primary producers needing food, perhaps one work cycle without food then one with , so full production needs half a ration per ware and if rations are short then they work at 50% efficiency.

Again, why changing the current tribes that much? face-wink.png

And what would be the point for hunters, fishers, game keepers and fishbreeders? They would waste more resources than they'd create. And what do you think is better: A pair of forester and woodcutter plus a tavern, 2 hunters, 2 game keepers or two pairs of forester+woodcutter?

To facilitate the increased need of food fish migration into empty hexes or advanced fishers who have boats and can fish in deeper water would be needed.

This wouldn't be very helpful for atlanteans, but very helpful for the empire. Barbarians are somewhere in between...

Also hunters would get more meat from larger animals, it is silly that a rabbit gives as much meat as a ox, this would need code changes to expose the animal type to pass to lua scripts.

Yes, that is illogical indeed. But fixing that could also affect the balance heavily, as the barbarian game keepers usually produce big animals. And possibly many maps would have to been checked...

Nevertheless one could think about solving the problem, and the game keepers could produce only rabbits or something like that, that would be better anyway as they are silent face-wink.png

Wanted to save the world, then I got widetracked

Top Quote
teppo

Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2018-01-29, 05:34

WorldSavior wrote:

In my opinion, the scouts could stop needing foodstuff to do his job. If this was done, would the scout already be too powerful?

I don't know how powerful he is now after the change. I guess more powerful, and scout huts are probably the cheapest buildings in the game as the scout doesn't need a tool. So I think that he would be too powerful indeed.

Unsure. The scout would still do nothing but increase the vision range. It would make some maps feel less spacious.

Alternatively, should it be possible to bind a watch window to the scout himself?

Edited: 2018-01-29, 05:34

Top Quote
WorldSavior
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2018-01-29, 12:27

teppo wrote:

WorldSavior wrote:

Unsure. The scout would still do nothing but increase the vision range. It would make some maps feel less spacious.

Alternatively, should it be possible to bind a watch window to the scout himself?

Why do you think that it's not already possible? face-wink.png

Top Quote
teppo

Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2018-01-29, 19:12

WorldSavior wrote:

Why do you think that it's not already possible? face-wink.png

Can I? How?

Top Quote
kaputtnik
Version: current master
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2018-01-29, 20:05

Open the watch window for a scouts house. As soon the scout begins scouting click on 'follow' face-smile.png

Fight simulator for Widelands:
https://wide-fighter.netlify.app/

Top Quote
WorldSavior
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2018-01-29, 21:06

Yes

Top Quote