Currently Online

Latest Posts

Topic: Atlantean style?!?

Astuur
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2010-04-28, 11:32

Sound like I might know your tribes from Settlers face-smile.png Anything going with honey, huh?

Atlantean: The thing is: It's not really green for me (and I'm using a calibrated monitor here) It's just brown with a slight tint to olive - that's a natural color like what you find with the Nama and Bushmen in Namibia. So no complaints from my side.

Being no programmer, I apologize for all my suggestions that imply undue workload and for other misjudgements due to lack of expertise or relevant skills.
I am on Win32, have no means to compile, and rely on prefabricated distributions (Thanks to Tino).

Top Quote
chuckw
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2010-04-28, 17:09

QCS wrote: Well, in the tribe I'm currently working on, males and females are very distinct: Males do hard work, females are soldiers, and the priests are either male or female, depending on the god (always the opposite sex of the god).

QCS: I'd love to see your models if you have anything ready. Can you throw a couple pngs or jpegs together and post them here, or push them to the media trunk? I kinda like the idea of female soldiers. face-smile.png Reminiscent of the Amazons. And speaking of priests, we should probably consider adding a temple(s) or outdoor altars to support that facet of the culture. They could consume just about anything as "offerings" and produce, what else?, More priests! face-grin.png or maybe "warrior monks".

I see little people.

Top Quote
SirVer

Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2010-04-28, 17:20

I once threw up a quick idea of research: either like in civilization that you could "buy" knowledge (donkey domestication for example ;)) or contiously: a building consumes trunks on and on and it's productivity directly translates in the movement speed of your carriers or so. Temples would fit into these categories nicely.

Top Quote
chuckw
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2010-04-28, 17:20

Astuur wrote: Atlantean: The thing is: It's not really green for me (and I'm using a calibrated monitor here) It's just brown with a slight tint to olive - that's a natural color like what you find with the Nama and Bushmen in Namibia. So no complaints from my side.

It's true that calibrated monitors can make a world of difference. Still, not everyone's monitor is color-corrected and we should consider their playing experience, as well. It doesn't take much to make skin tones unnatural. I also have to admit that my monitors could likely use some tweaking. face-smile.png

I see little people.

Top Quote
QCS

Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2010-04-28, 19:52

chuckw: Sorry I'm only creating the idea and the game logic... samithdisal offered to do the renderings once this is done... but the work on that tribe currently is at very very low priority. I'm no graphics guru, unfortunately face-sad.png

Astuur: No, it is a completely new tribe, no Amazon warriors here (but more or less 'warrior nuns').

On the topic: Well, I definitely have no calibrated monitor... and I agree, it is not really green, but a green-ish colour.

CMake is evil.

Top Quote
chuckw
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2010-04-28, 22:57

QCS: Well, graphician or not, I still am fascinated with the concept. Wouldn't want to steal anyone's thunder by integrating those ideas into an existing tribe. By the same token, tho, it stands to reason that each tribe would have some kind of formal religion and history is full of "religious wars".

While I'm sure we can all come to an agreement regarding the Atlanteans and other prospective tribes, when all is said and done we may yet be headed to a "monks v.s. nuns" conflict over territory... on the Widelands digital battlefield, that is. face-smile.png

I see little people.

Top Quote
samithdisal
Ranking
Likes to be here
Posted at: 2010-05-06, 19:24

chuck, toning the color from greenish to brownish will make them look more real ;) I really like the woman character,

I think the mail ponytail should start with a little patch of hare around, then it looks natural.

Kiscsirke s one will be soo useful is converted to empire. As it is eligible of giving us the feeling of Academic / Professional person is walking on the map. face-wink.png

NoOb KiWwaTa NoOb Ma NeWeI

Top Quote
chuckw
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2010-05-07, 15:59

samithdisal wrote: chuck, toning the color from greenish to brownish will make them look more real

The green-ish, or "olive" as I like to call it ;), complexion arose from SirVer's earlier notes and comments. So for a prototype, I chose to lean in that direction.

I really like the woman character,

Thanks! IMHO the game is ready for "a woman's touch". face-grin.png

I think the mail ponytail should start with a little patch of hare around, then it looks natural.

I agree entirely, but still at the scale of the engine you can almost get away with it. (And this is one graphician who is still honing his skills.) I owe a great debt to those who created the original blender models, armatures and scripts from which virtually all of my creations have derived.

Kiscsirke s one will be soo useful is converted to empire. As it is eligible of giving us the feeling of Academic / Professional person is walking on the map.

I agree. The toga, in long and short variations, would definitely be an effective addition to the imperials.

So, with all of this said and shown, are we ready for a verdict on the atlantean style?

Would more prototypes be helpful?

I for one am quite willing to submit each worker model for review and approval before being committed to the trunk.

It's time to let our very tired "default worker" enter his well-earned retirement. face-wink.png

Wouldn't it be great to have all of the tribes' worker models completed, (if not fully animated) for build 16-rc1?

I see little people.

Top Quote
SirVer

Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2010-05-09, 16:55

Okay, I revive this thread and propose a solution; we have to come to a conclusion because we want to get some atlantean graphics soon, righty?

I'd say, we take chucks model for the atlanteans and use Kiscsirke's model for the empire; maybe the robes could get some stripes for that.

I'd also suggest to take the atlantean models a bit into the unrealistic and wait for people to complain. I do not mind that they look foreign, for their skin tone went down into the see with them a long, long time ago.

!SirVer

Top Quote
Nasenbaer
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2010-05-09, 18:43

SirVer wrote: Okay, I revive this thread and propose a solution; we have to come to a conclusion because we want to get some atlantean graphics soon, righty? I'd say, we take chucks model for the atlanteans and use Kiscsirke's model for the empire; maybe the robes could get some stripes for that. I'd also suggest to take the atlantean models a bit into the unrealistic and wait for people to complain. I do not mind that they look foreign, for their skin tone went down into the see with them a long, long time ago. SirVer

Agreed!

Top Quote