Topic: New search implemented

kaputtnik
Topic Opener
Version: current master
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2017-11-06, 12:05

Hi all,

there is now a new search active on the website. The main reason for implementing this is that the old search application 'django-sphinx' is not maintained anymore. Instead we are using django Haystack in combination with Whoosh for the indexing.

The most importand change for you is maybe that you can choose the 'section' (Forum, Wiki, Maps,...) directly in the search box of the navigation bar. There are also some other minor changes when displaying the results. The search page has also a 'Help', which could be rolled out if you click on the header. The search defaults to search only the last year from today when searching the forum and the news.

Hopefully you enjoy it.

Regards kaputtnik

Edit: You may have to reload the page by pressing CTRL + F5 (or similar) to update your cached stylesheets.

Edited: 2017-11-06, 12:17

Fight simulator for Widelands:
https://wide-fighter.netlify.app/

Top Quote
Tibor

Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2017-11-06, 13:52

Looks nice. BTW one small comment - is it possible to list forum threads only once and not list many posts in one thread?

Top Quote
kaputtnik
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2017-11-06, 14:37

Tibor wrote:

Looks nice. BTW one small comment - is it possible to list forum threads only once and not list many posts in one thread?

Can you give an example?

It is now also possible to copy the search url (address in the browser) and post it: search for "ai hints" in the forum

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2017-11-06, 14:58

Forum search results could be 1 result per post, or 1 result per topic, i.e. search every post separately or search for whole topics.

Another bug I didn't find during testing: I have a small screen on my Ubuntu, and the dropdown (which is all cleartext, no little arrow) is covering most of the search box. Maybe make the box as wide as the dark info area above the search box?

Edited: 2017-11-06, 15:00

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote
kaputtnik
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2017-11-06, 15:45

Forum search results could be 1 result per post, or 1 result per topic, i.e. search every post separately or search for whole topics.

Searching the Forum means:

1. Search topic names and list the matches under 'Topics', sorted by date
  2. Search all Posts (regardless of topics) and list them under 'Posts', sorted by date

As i understand, when searching the posts (2. above) you want to show only the first found post in one topic? Or want you to sort the matched posts by topic? Sorry i am a bit stupid today face-upset.png

and the dropdown (which is all cleartext, no little arrow)

This indicates you have to reload the stylesheets (CTRL+ F5 or SHIFT+ CTRL + F5)

Top Quote
Tibor

Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2017-11-06, 16:44

I was searching for "wai", most of occurrences are in one topic (news about AI), but user can be interested to see also other sources (wiki, other topics)

Top Quote
kaputtnik
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2017-11-06, 19:36

Tibor wrote:

I was searching for "wai", most of occurrences are in one topic (news about AI), but user can be interested to see also other sources (wiki, other topics)

If one wants to search for the term in the wiki he could do so. In the detailed search page you can activate different 'sections (Wiki, News, Forum, ...) to search for as you like. The Dropdown arrow in the navigationbar has also an entry 'All' to search all 'sections'.

If 'wai' isn't found as a topics name it can't be matched as a topic. This is the same behavior as we had in the former search. But maybe we could make it better....

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2017-11-06, 20:03

kaputtnik wrote:

This indicates you have to reload the stylesheets (CTRL+ F5 or SHIFT+ CTRL + F5)

Thanks, that fixed it face-smile.png

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote