Latest Posts

Topic: how too build soldiers

megalive

Topic Opener
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2010-04-12, 22:22

Hi,

I really have no idea how too create extra soldiers i have kinda all buildings.

in settlers 2 you needed in one magazine a sword and a shield too get a soldier. What do you need here ?

Top Quote
SirVer

Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2010-04-13, 10:36

a magazin, axe and shield for the barbarians. Similar for other tribes. Note that you also need to have a demand for soldiers. This is not really documented anywhere atm, though.

Top Quote
Nasenbaer
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2010-04-13, 19:46

Have to correct !SirVer here ;):

• Barbarians: carrier + axe
  • Empire: carrier + wood lance + helmet
  • Atlanteans: carrier + light trident + tarbard

Top Quote
Ex-Member
Ranking
Likes to be here
Posted at: 2010-04-13, 20:36

I added some notes to the pages for each tribe. Not a really noticeable thing, but better than having nothing about it.

Top Quote
Astuur
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2010-04-20, 10:38

SirVer wrote: ...Note that you also need to have a demand for soldiers. This is not really documented anywhere atm, though.

SirVer, this is not what I see (R15) or ever have seen in WL! In my experience you get hundreds and thousands of new soldiers, as long as the basic ingredients (axes, ect.) are produced.

Example or Barbarians: If you have either a metalworks, an axefactory or a warmill going, it will always produce an axe, which will always be grabbed by a carrier, and you have one new soldier. Since you cannot adjust minimum storage level below 1, this will go on indefinitly.

Being no programmer, I apologize for all my suggestions that imply undue workload and for other misjudgements due to lack of expertise or relevant skills.
I am on Win32, have no means to compile, and rely on prefabricated distributions (Thanks to Tino).

Top Quote
Nasenbaer
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2010-04-20, 15:47

Astuur wrote:

SirVer wrote: ...Note that you also need to have a demand for soldiers. This is not really documented anywhere atm, though.

SirVer, this is not what I see (R15) or ever have seen in WL! In my experience you get hundreds and thousands of new soldiers, as long as the basic ingredients (axes, ect.) are produced. Example or Barbarians: If you have either a metalworks, an axefactory or a warmill going, it will always produce an axe, which will always be grabbed by a carrier, and you have one new soldier. Since you cannot adjust minimum storage level below 1, this will go on indefinitly.

please make sure that you really face that behaviour!

If you do, this is definitely a bug! But I was not able to reproduce that behaviour.

Top Quote
SirVer

Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2010-04-20, 16:29

Astuur, what you most likely experience is that any of your trainingsites runs empty and requests a new soldier. This happens easily with the empire and the colloseum: training there is dirt cheap, so you run out of soldiers that can train there pretty quickly. If you do not reduce the number of soldiers that should train there to zero, the site will constantly request soldiers which are then made if the wares are available in a warehouse. Could that be it?

Top Quote
Astuur
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2010-04-20, 19:56

Hmm... hope I was not telling nonsense here. Well, what Sirver says sounds like a possible explanation. I was not aware that trainingsites create their own demand for soldiers, if they run empty. I guess stopping them should stop recruiting then, if all military sites are fully manned? I'll start a clean new play with R15 and double check this.

Edit: I checked that. Yes, Sirver was right. It's the Colosseum in my case that finishes its work quite fast, It then stands empty and so creates a demand for new soldiers. Sorry about the alarm .. no bug.

Edited: 2010-04-21, 08:44

Being no programmer, I apologize for all my suggestions that imply undue workload and for other misjudgements due to lack of expertise or relevant skills.
I am on Win32, have no means to compile, and rely on prefabricated distributions (Thanks to Tino).

Top Quote
Astuur
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2010-04-26, 09:00

SirVer wrote: Astuur, what you most likely experience is that any of your trainingsites runs empty and requests a new soldier. This happens easily with the empire and the colloseum: training there is dirt cheap, so you run out of soldiers that can train there pretty quickly. If you do not reduce the number of soldiers that should train there to zero, the site will constantly request soldiers which are then made if the wares are available in a warehouse. Could that be it?

On a second thought, SirVer .... is this what an avarage player would expect?

I think this behaviour is not what you would normally want from your trainingsites. A simply switch to produce more soldiers, or (if set to off) to invest into the training of the existing ones, would proobably be easier to communicate to players of WL. In addition you would not always have to watch, whether your trainingsites work on existing soldiers or produce a new demand. Worth a feature request?

Top Quote
SirVer

Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2010-04-26, 10:23

I do not think the current functionality to be defunct; I agree that it is underdocumented though. If you file a bug report than against this not being described in any of the tutorials.

Top Quote