Latest Posts

Topic: Widelands tournament 2017 (2): early announcement

king_of_nowhere
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2017-07-31, 03:41

WorldSavior wrote:

No matter if I'm going to participate or not, I would like to say that I consider "Dolomites" as a rather suboptimal choice: It is very unsymmetrical. But a tournament requires fair maps. How could the matches there be fair&balanced?

Furthermore I wonder when you are going to tell us more about the starting position colors. Blue vs red would be a good option for the Nile. I think that desert tournament would make only sense if it will be a match between east and west, but this still offers 4 possibilities.

Even harder would be the choice for elven forests. The starting positions of red and yellow look similar, so it would be similar to a periodic map. But I didn't think much more about that.

And have you already found the "other small autocrat map" or is there no alternative to this map here? https://wl.widelands.org/maps/tutorial-map/

So, any ideas? face-wink.png

I will give this more thought once I am sure there will be a tournament. that way, if we don't have enough players, I won't feel a fool for having done all the work for nothing. You know what they say about selling the bear's skin before killing the bear, and while I'm not superstitious, for this specific point I make an exception face-smile.png

regarding specifically dolomites, I playtested it to make sure everyone can make the same amount of buildings; and I was thinking to close some passes with immovables so that only two player position would remain, and use the map as a 1v1. but I'll consider it in more detail if it looks like a dinstinct possibility.

Top Quote
Mars

Ranking
Likes to be here
Posted at: 2017-07-31, 22:55

To make sure there are enough players, I would also like to announce my participation.

Top Quote
einstein13
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2017-08-01, 19:34

Right after announcement I've sent private message to king_of_nowhere that I would like to participate too. So if anybody will be encouraged by that, I will be happy face-smile.png

einstein13
calculations & maps packages: http://wuatek.no-ip.org/~rak/widelands/
backup website files: http://kartezjusz.ddns.net/upload/widelands/

Top Quote
king_of_nowhere
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2017-08-03, 16:42

between 2 and 10 september I will be away from home, but I will be able to connect to internet sometimes. I won't be able to play, I will have to hope my ipponent can play between 10 and 15 september. I considered shifting the beginning of the tournament, but I didn't want to make an ad personam law.

Top Quote
AlleyJazz
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2017-08-04, 13:14

I am interested in participating.

Two problems though: I'll have some holidays in the middle of september and don't know yet if I'll be home or not; also I'm not able to compile widelands atm cos I fucked up my (linux) dependencies big time.... need to reinstall first face-grin.png

Top Quote
dershrimp

Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2017-08-07, 00:05

I am interested! I haven't touched this game for more than a year! Wow! But would be fun to play again, count me in.

Top Quote
animohim
Ranking
Likes to be here
Posted at: 2017-08-07, 11:46

3rd week of september would be a good time for me. Why don't you make a Doodle-Survey? Would prefer a huge long play map like "srawerb ait" or "mountain lake".

Top Quote
king_of_nowhere
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2017-08-07, 18:04

Subscriptions are officially opened!

https://wl.widelands.org/forum/topic/2905

remember than you need to officialize your subscription if you want to play

Top Quote
WorldSavior
Version: Recent tournament version
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2017-08-08, 20:27

king_of_nowhere wrote:

WorldSavior wrote:

No matter if I'm going to participate or not, I would like to say that I consider "Dolomites" as a rather suboptimal choice: It is very unsymmetrical. But a tournament requires fair maps. How could the matches there be fair&balanced?

Furthermore I wonder when you are going to tell us more about the starting position colors. Blue vs red would be a good option for the Nile. I think that desert tournament would make only sense if it will be a match between east and west, but this still offers 4 possibilities.

Even harder would be the choice for elven forests. The starting positions of red and yellow look similar, so it would be similar to a periodic map. But I didn't think much more about that.

And have you already found the "other small autocrat map" or is there no alternative to this map here? https://wl.widelands.org/maps/tutorial-map/

So, any ideas? face-wink.png

I will give this more thought once I am sure there will be a tournament. that way, if we don't have enough players, I won't feel a fool for having done all the work for nothing. You know what they say about selling the bear's skin before killing the bear, and while I'm not superstitious, for this specific point I make an exception face-smile.png

Maybe this phrase is very unpopular in German, at least I didn't know it face-wink.png But okay

regarding specifically dolomites, I playtested it to make sure everyone can make the same amount of buildings; and I was thinking to close some passes with immovables so that only two player position would remain, and use the map as a 1v1. but I'll consider it in more detail if it looks like a dinstinct possibility.

So it's analogue to Archipelago Sea, which turned out to be quite imbalanced face-wink.png

Why not something like "The Great Escape"? It is a great map and offers indeed some symmetries face-wink.png

animohim wrote:

Why don't you make a Doodle-Survey? Would prefer a huge long play map like "srawerb ait" or "mountain lake".

Those maps are created by a random generator, so they are probably very imbalanced. And they are not small ;-) Or do you mean you'd prefer it for the tie-braking map? face-wink.png

Wanted to save the world, then I got widetracked

Top Quote
king_of_nowhere
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2017-08-08, 20:36

WorldSavior wrote:

king_of_nowhere wrote:

Maybe this phrase is very unpopular in German, at least I didn't know it face-wink.png But okay

there is a saying that goes "don't sell the bear's skin before you killed the bear", meaning "when you plan ahead, don't take for granted things that can easily go wrong", or "don't cheer for victory before the time".

I guess other languages have a different saying

Top Quote