Latest Posts

Topic: "Northmen" Tribe Page

Nordfriese
Topic Opener
Version: Latest master
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2017-07-05, 15:37

The only starting condition they currently have is the Headquarters Starting Condition. I guess you mean the win condition. I always tested it with autocrat. Not sure which other win conditions it´ll work with, I´ll include support for them all in the next upload.

By the way, your earlier post showed that the last upload contains a spelling mistake: The output complained about a parenthesis near '10000' in deep coal mines. The output is misleading – a comma is missing, and it will be included in the next revision.

@Tinker: Which win condition did you use? Collectors are the default and I´m quite sure they don´t work yet. If you used autocrat, this is certainly another problem…

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2017-07-05, 15:39

Yes, please do try that. Headquarters/fortified Village/Trading Outpost could also make a difference.

Regarding the complicated commandline stuff, the advantage of that is that you won't change anything in your actual Widelands installation. Copying the data folder over also works, of course and had also been mentioned - you probably overlooked that, since this thread is quite long.

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote
Nordfriese
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2017-07-05, 16:11

I now uploaded the new revision. I added Fortified Village and Trading Outpost, but as I never play with those, I have no idea if the settings are good. The only problematic win condition was Collectors, which now supports Frisians as well. I fixed the deep coal mine, and I increased the storage capacity of coal and iron in the armour smithy. It produces so many wares that it could not go through a full production cycle without refilling. No new images in this revision (but I´m working on them!).

Top Quote
hessenfarmer
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2017-07-05, 23:18

tried the latest revision. Here are my observations.
first the game did not offer the new starting conditions. I neede to include them in Preload.lua
then the game crashed due to missing Player colour pictures for well working animations 4 to 7. after deleting them this problem was solved.
while using the fortified village had some crashes of lua:
1. fortress soldiers need to be reduced to 10 cause this is the max amount.
2. In training camp change frisians_bread to bread_frisians and fur_clothes_studded to fur_clothes_silver.

After that the game worked fine in fortified village.

Top Quote
Nordfriese
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2017-07-06, 09:21

That´s what happens if I don´t test my changes before uploading… I pushed a new revision that fixes all these bugs, and another bug which I found in trading outpost. It works now, I tested it.

The next upload will finally contain new working animations for all buildings that still use blinking lights. I´ll just add rotating circles as an indicator for activity. Eventually, all buildings will get brand-new pictures in frisian architecture with pretty animations, so it isn´t worth the trouble to spend a lot of time with sophisticated animations here. After the next revision, I´ll start working on AI hints, so AI can be a stronger opponent as Frisians.

Top Quote
Ex-Member
Ranking
Widelands-Forum-Junkie
Posted at: 2017-07-06, 11:05

Nordfriese wrote:

@Tinker: Which win condition did you use? Collectors are the default and I´m quite sure they don´t work yet. If you used autocrat, this is certainly another problem…

That was the problem, sorry for the noise.

I did not even think asbout trying a different win condition.

I did have to work around the starting conditions as I have created another start for the three tribes, a village, just contains a couple of basic small buildings., but I had checked this was not the cause. As soon as I have some babdwidth I will d/l the latest version and test it.

Top Quote
Nordfriese
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2017-07-07, 17:08

The AI hints have now been added for all buildings. I also wrote some tribe-specific game tips for Frisians. Now I´m working on the helptexts for buildings, workers and wares. (EDIT: I´m done with that; they are uploaded in revision 8398.)

One thing that I find quite annoying during test games is the armoursmithy. The production cycle is a bit too complicated in my opinion. The current production cycle is: Basic Sword – Long Sword – Curved Sword – Double-edged Sword – Helmet – Golden Helmet. So I thought of some changes to improve it:

• Change cycle order to Basic Sword – Helmet – Long Sword – Curved Sword – Golden Helmet – Double-edged Sword.

• Have 2 buildings: Weaponsmithy produces Basic Sword – Long Sword – Curved Sword – Double-edged Sword; Helmsmithy produces Helmet and Golden Helmet.

• Basic Armoursmithy produces Basic Sword – Helmet – Long Sword; Advanced Armoursmithy produces Curved Sword – Golden Helmet – Double-edged Sword. The advanced armoursmithy is upgraded from the basic armoursmithy and needs a master blacksmith (it is no longer able to produce the "old" items).

I would prefer to use 1 of these suggestions. Of course, if most players think there is no need to change anything, I´ll leave it as it is. And naturally I´m open to other suggestions as well. Opinions?

Edited: 2017-07-07, 18:54

Top Quote
fuchur

Ranking
Widelands-Forum-Junkie
Posted at: 2017-07-10, 21:21

Nordfriese, I didn't test your new tribe yet but I read the discussion with interest. So my following words are mere thoughts from a abstract point of view. But maybe it helps.

Nordfriese wrote:

One thing that I find quite annoying during test games is the armoursmithy. The production cycle is a bit too complicated in my opinion. The current production cycle is: Basic Sword – Long Sword – Curved Sword – Double-edged Sword – Helmet – Golden Helmet. So I thought of some changes to improve it:

• Change cycle order to Basic Sword – Helmet – Long Sword – Curved Sword – Golden Helmet – Double-edged Sword.

In other words, if the stock is low and fresh supply is slow at least the production of the basic weapons and helmet is ensured.

• Have 2 buildings: Weaponsmithy produces Basic Sword – Long Sword – Curved Sword – Double-edged Sword; Helmsmithy produces Helmet and Golden Helmet.

That seems to be quite similar to the empire tribe. There you have the weaponsmithy producing all the spears and the armor smithy producing helmets and armor.

• Basic Armoursmithy produces Basic Sword – Helmet – Long Sword; Advanced Armoursmithy produces Curved Sword – Golden Helmet – Double-edged Sword. The advanced armoursmithy is upgraded from the basic armoursmithy and needs a master blacksmith (it is no longer able to produce the "old" items).

That suggestion is interesting, one building for the basic weapons and helmet, and the other for the advanced weapons and helmet. Sometimes I had wished such a configuration would be possible with the other tribes. But on the other hand this could make weapon production too easy. You just need two buildings, both producing different wares. The player just has to ensure that they have enough wares in stock and the production is running. And as the production runs in parallel you need less time to produce the weapons and helmets. Of course production cycles could be adjusted to take that into account.

I would prefer to use 1 of these suggestions. Of course, if most players think there is no need to change anything, I´ll leave it as it is. And naturally I´m open to other suggestions as well. Opinions?

Personally I'd skip suggestion 2 because of the similarity to the empire. The decision between 1 and 3 is difficult. I think 3 would make the tribe easier to play (mabe I'm wrong). If that's not desired then suggestion 1 is the best.

Top Quote
king_of_nowhere
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2017-07-10, 23:59

fuchur wrote:

That suggestion is interesting, one building for the basic weapons and helmet, and the other for the advanced weapons and helmet. Sometimes I had wished such a configuration would be possible with the other tribes. But on the other hand this could make weapon production too easy. You just need two buildings, both producing different wares. The player just has to ensure that they have enough wares in stock and the production is running.

How is that different from all the other tribes?

And as the production runs in parallel you need less time to produce the weapons and helmets. Of course production cycles could be adjusted to take that into account.

if you want to produce faster you can just make more weapon smiths. they are medium buildings and you only need 1 to feed a training site, so finding an extra medium slot is no big deal. weapon production is always dictated by how many metals you can mine, not by how fast your smiths are working. promoting soldiers is limited by how much weapons and food you can make, again the speed of wepon smiths is not relevant.

Top Quote
WorldSavior
Version: Recent tournament version
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2017-07-11, 11:41

Nordfriese wrote:

fuchur wrote:

Personally I'd skip suggestion 2 because of the similarity to the empire. The decision between 1 and 3 is difficult. I think 3 would make the tribe easier to play (mabe I'm wrong). If that's not desired then suggestion 1 is the best.

Nordfriese, before I could help here, I'd have to know how much weapons&helmets one needs to "produce" one frisian level 10 soldier out of nothing. So, how many swords of each kind does he require? (I mean, he requires 3 pieces of at least one type of sword, right?) And he needs just one helmet of each kind?

king_of_nowhere wrote: promoting soldiers is limited by how much weapons and food you can make, again the speed of wepon smiths is not relevant.

I wouldn't say that this is not relevant at all. But it's only slightly relevant for all current tribes.

Wanted to save the world, then I got widetracked

Top Quote