Latest Posts

Topic: No more trees

JanO
Topic Opener
Ranking
At home in WL-forums
Posted at: 2017-06-29, 21:53

I'm currently playing a match on build19 on a winter map (4 mountains) and have the feeling, that the trees there have quite a lot of trouble with their growing purposes. Many of them vanish and the others need a small eternity to reach maturity. I don't know if this is kind of a misdesign of the map (terrain with lowest fertility as default for the map?) or a general problem for winter maps. But this one is really annoying. Running like almost 3 foresters per woodcutter and the woodcutter still does not reach 100%...

This has lead me to another thougt. Didn't we have a discussion about the 'No more trees' message some weeks ago? I've got plenty of those in this match, so my idea is to change the trigger for this message a bit. I guess at the moment it is generated by woodcutters which don't find a mature tree in their working radius at the end of their sleep time. Is it possible to change that so it pays attention to immature trees? I guess that then only those woodcutters would send an alarm who don't have a forester close to them.

Top Quote
hessenfarmer
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2017-06-29, 22:03

the trigger is a perccentage definable in the init.lua of the woodcutter you can try to experioment with levels by editing it with a suitable editor. search in your data/tribes/building/ folder for the relevant file.

Top Quote
JanO
Topic Opener
Ranking
At home in WL-forums
Posted at: 2017-06-29, 22:12

I found it - it is set to 66%. But I still would prefer, if those guys with immature trees around would just keep calm even if they are forced to sleep a bit longer than normal face-wink.png

Top Quote
WorldSavior
Version: Recent tournament version
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2017-06-30, 03:00

JanO wrote:

I'm currently playing a match on build19 on a winter map (4 mountains) and have the feeling, that the trees there have quite a lot of trouble with their growing purposes. Many of them vanish and the others need a small eternity to reach maturity. I don't know if this is kind of a misdesign of the map (terrain with lowest fertility as default for the map?)

Yes, it is. The terrain (which is a mixed terrain) there is very bad for trees and this doesn't fit that well to the hints of the map.

or a general problem for winter maps.

No, not at all

But this one is really annoying. Running like almost 3 foresters per woodcutter and the woodcutter still does not reach 100%...

That sounds annoying indeed. Maybe the hints of the map should be changed...

Wanted to save the world, then I got widetracked

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2017-07-04, 17:36

Which map is it? I know that we changed the terrain in one of them recently, because it was pretty much unplayable. Last Bastion, if I remember correctly.

Taking immature trees into account would need quite a bit of non-trivial coding. If we could find a workable percentage for triggering the messages, that would make things a lot easier for us, and it could be implemented straight away.

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote
WorldSavior
Version: Recent tournament version
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2017-07-04, 19:38

GunChleoc wrote:

Which map is it?

"Four mountains" is actually the name of the map.

I know that we changed the terrain in one of them recently, because it was pretty much unplayable. Last Bastion, if I remember correctly.

That's true

Wanted to save the world, then I got widetracked

Top Quote
JanO
Topic Opener
Ranking
At home in WL-forums
Posted at: 2017-07-04, 19:58

Would it be possible to adjust the trigger-percentage ingame? Like, in the options menu or even for each building separately?

Top Quote
kaputtnik
Version: current master
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2017-07-04, 20:51

The bug report for Last Bastion is still pen because there is no consensus.

Regarding the map Four Mountains:
We could change the terrains just like king_of_nowhere did for Last Bastion (change some parts of snow to tundra). Of course we may need a good hint for this map as well.

JanO wrote:

Would it be possible to adjust the trigger-percentage ingame? Like, in the options menu or even for each building separately?

I think this would be overkill for the options. better find better values for the lua files. From my point of view the 'No trees' message is triggered too often. E.g. i some times build a foresters house on a 'non trees area' and immediately build also one or two woodcutters. In result the message get triggered because the planted trees does not grow that fast to get the woodcutter to work.

Fight simulator for Widelands:
https://wide-fighter.netlify.app/

Top Quote
JanO
Topic Opener
Ranking
At home in WL-forums
Posted at: 2017-07-04, 22:36

Then I would set the trigger to 60% (or even 50%). From my observations, if there is a forester nearby, the productivity of the woodcutters drops down to 65% quite often, but not often below 60%. 66 is just a little too high.

Another idea (propably hard to code): If the woodcutter doesn't find any tree to cut, he could instead walk towards the next forester, pick up a seedling there and plant it by himself somewhere in his working radius.

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2017-07-05, 08:42

I have lowered the percentage to 60% and pushed directly to trunk. Let's see how we get along - we can lower it again to 50% it it's still annoying and see how that works then.

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote