Latest Posts

Topic: New background and button textures

GunChleoc
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2017-06-10, 10:10

I want to get rid of the bold fonts in the fullscreen menus. However, our current background texture is far too noisy to allow that.

Also, we can't isolate our current leaves and grass graphics, because all we have is a flattened BMP file - anything that might have been layered is lost in the mists of SoureForge.

So, I've hit a "how to make granite" tutorial, grabbed the Blackroot Fields and some cute buildings + workers and GIMP's vine brush to see what I can do.

mapselect

The button colors still need fine-tuning, and I'm not really happy with the leaves. Overall, I'd like for this to look a bit warmer.

Corresponding bug report

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote
trimard
Ranking
Widelands-Forum-Junkie
Posted at: 2017-06-10, 17:22

Pretty cool! face-grin.png

I think the colors for the leafs are perfect, maybe if you try to apply a closer color to the grass? I didn't manage to do it on gimp personnaly

Top Quote
kaputtnik
Version: current master
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2017-06-11, 11:12

On first view it looks good face-smile.png When viewing with my 'Art eyes' i found some disturbing things:

• Most disturbing is the content overlaps with the border (leaves). Normally, at least in natural images, a pictures border is closest to the viewer, and the more one is looking into the middle of an image, the illustration gets optically away from the viewer, gets into the background. If the content overlaps the border it is optically in the foreground, which, i think, looks unnatural.
  • The bluish color of the table is clashing with the background color
  • For me the background is too noisy. I can't associate it with any thing i know, maybe topsoil, or the ground of a far away planet.

An idea, if feasible: Maybe enclose the main header with the leaves? I guess the longest header is "Multiplayer Game Setup", so the image should enclose this string and possible smaller strings have more empty areas on left and right.

Fight simulator for Widelands:
https://wide-fighter.netlify.app/

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2017-06-11, 13:47

I agree that the overlap is not good. Enclosing the header might be difficult though due to translations, we never know how long it will get. And if we leave plenty of space for long text, it will look silly in Chinese with tons of blank space. Also, I have no idea how to tile such a design for the various screen sizes - I absolutely want to get rid of texture stretching in these screens. So, a few leaves around the edges like we used to have is probably what we will end up with.

I am currently working on some coding changes so that we will have 1 greyscale button texture that then gets its color from C++, just like we do with playercolor. Once that's done, the graphics are fair game to anyone who wants to work on them. Note that the branch is already incompatible with trunk, so you can't hook in the datadir.

The background is supposed to be granite. I also experimented with marble, but the veins interfere with text legibility, so I gave up on that idea.

Edited: 2017-06-11, 13:50

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote
kaputtnik
Version: current master
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2017-06-11, 20:08

Yes, enclosing the header with leaves was a bad idea face-smile.png

The background is supposed to be granite. I also experimented with marble, but the veins interfere with text legibility, so I gave up on that idea.

Regardless how the background will be called, i think the problem with the noisy background is that i feel it unnatural to have a background which didn't looks plain. The background in your screen shot looks uneven. But i do not have any better idea. If i find time i will try it, maybe some other has a good idea or solution face-smile.png

Fight simulator for Widelands:
https://wide-fighter.netlify.app/

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2017-06-11, 22:20

The button texture that I based on the background picture is more even, I could try that.

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2017-06-12, 18:29

Next version. I have rewritten the code so that all panel backgrounds are now defined in data/templates/default, so we won't need to recompile every time that a value gets changed. The technology change means that I had to touch the in-game/editor GUI too.

Backgrounds can now have a texture and/or a color overlay. So, in these screenshots, there are only 2 button textures: one for fullscreen and one for in-game/in-editor. The rest is done with colors. More detailed documentation is in data/templates/default/init.lua

mapselect

wui

Branch

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote
WorldSavior
Version: Recent tournament version
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2017-06-12, 19:01

Even in this situation, I wouldn't let the tavern store bread face-tongue.png

Wanted to save the world, then I got widetracked

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2017-06-13, 11:44

Well, I hacked the starting conditions to give me 500 soldiers, so it doesn't matter how much bread I eat face-tongue.png

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote
WorldSavior
Version: Recent tournament version
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2017-06-13, 15:01

Okay, this is mighty. Enjoy your meal face-wink.png

Wanted to save the world, then I got widetracked

Top Quote