Latest Posts

Topic: "The Nile" crashes

NoLand
Topic Opener
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2017-04-13, 22:44

I have a problem with the game “The Nile“ after 8h 52 min the game crashes. It is not freezing. It just terminats itself. I have stored the status few seconds before the crash and it is always the same – I cannot continue the game.

Widelands build -19 (Debug)

My hardware is only a 200 Euro PC with a 15 inch monitor; but up to now I had played 16 other games (i.e. not "The Nile") with this software and hardware setup without such a technical problem. Any idea?

Since it is my first post I should not forget to thank the developers of this game.

Top Quote
kaputtnik
Version: current master
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2017-04-13, 23:17

Hi NoLand and welcome to the forums face-smile.png

There are some open bugs which you may ran into.
As you play a debug build, can you start it from a command line and provide the error message if there is any?
It would also be good if can upload that save game some where and provide a download link (File hoster, dropbox).

Fight simulator for Widelands:
https://wide-fighter.netlify.app/

Top Quote
NoLand
Topic Opener
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2017-04-14, 08:58

kaputtnik wrote:

Hi NoLand and welcome to the forums face-smile.png

There are some open bugs which you may ran into.
As you play a debug build, can you start it from a command line and provide the error message if there is any?
It would also be good if can upload that save game some where and provide a download link (File hoster, dropbox).

Hello kaputtnik,

firstly I should say that I am not at all a computer expert. I just go in the Internet and read what to do if I want to have something. This was the case with my Linux installation and with my Widelands version, too. With Linux Suse I found only Widelands 18 in the repositories and so I installed the version 19 by myself with a combination of xterm instructions and the help of YAST (not all libraries are listed in the Widelands installation description for Suse: libraries ICU and libicu_devel are missing) and I may have fetched a wrong version – I only wanted the “normal one”.

I tried to start from command line but I was not able to do it correctly:

• I went to the alias of Widelands which is located on my desktop and looked under properties where the program widelands is located (because I forgot it)

• Then I opened an xterm, went in the indicated directory and started Widelands

• The program starts

• But the window for selection of the stored files was empty, so I am not able to start any saved game file and also not the one with “The Nile”

I think the best idea for a lazy person like me would be to wait until Widelands 19 is officially a part of the Suse repository and then install / update my computer completely new (widelands 19 official version and operating system (where also a lot of things like flashplayer are still missing)).

In the meanwhile I can try the remaining 3 maps of Widelands.

Thanks for your support.

Top Quote
WorldSavior
Version: Recent tournament version
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2017-04-15, 16:51

Probably it's just the "normal" bug of The Nile: https://wl.widelands.org/forum/topic/2820/

There might be a possibility to fix such a savegame. Whether a human player is building the "bad" port (then it's easy) or you can do something like this:

1. watching the replay in order to find the "bad" port. Furthermore, you can hit the save button there in order to create new save games at any time - very useful

2. using "Multiplayer - LAN/Direct IP " to create a match where you control the player who is building the port. You can avoid that the port is finished by decreasing wares in his construction side. The AI should not be able to increase this values again face-smile.png

3. well, saving again and continuing to play with the right color...

By the way, the older versions of the Nile contain not so many port spaces, so the probability of such a crash will be much lower: https://wl.widelands.org/maps/the-nile-v2/

Wanted to save the world, then I got widetracked

Top Quote
NoLand
Topic Opener
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2017-04-18, 12:03

Thanks for your recommendations. At first I will try the hint with the "bad port" as soon as I will have again access to my „game PC“ (not before next weekend).

Edited: 2017-04-18, 12:04

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2017-04-19, 19:12

I have added libicu_devel to the SuSe instructions face-smile.png

The Widelands savegames are stored in ~/.widelands/save

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote
NoLand
Topic Opener
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2017-04-22, 21:23

WorldSavior gave the relevant hint. I can clearly avoid the crash by destroying my harbor which is under construction. As described in the bug report

https://bugs.launchpad.net/widelands/+bug/1638890

a port space expansion is avoided by a neighboring enemy which is located on the other side of the river.

In my stored file the harbor building process reaches already 99%. I find no button to interrupt the building activity. In addition, I have no more other saved “The Nile” files. Hence destroying the harbor is the best option for continuing the game (because it is the only simple one).

I consider my problem as solved. Thanks.

Top Quote
WorldSavior
Version: Recent tournament version
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2017-04-23, 16:03

NoLand wrote:

Thanks for your recommendations. At first I will try the hint with the "bad port" as soon as I will have again access to my „game PC“ (not before next weekend).

You're welcome!

NoLand wrote:

WorldSavior gave the relevant hint. I can clearly avoid the crash by destroying my harbor which is under construction. As described in the bug report

https://bugs.launchpad.net/widelands/+bug/1638890

a port space expansion is avoided by a neighboring enemy which is located on the other side of the river.

In my stored file the harbor building process reaches already 99%. I find no button to interrupt the building activity. In addition, I have no more other saved “The Nile” files.

And if you don't have the replays neither anymore, it will be difficult to create new saves of this match face-wink.png

Wanted to save the world, then I got widetracked

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2017-04-24, 18:36

It would also be interesting to see if the crash can be reproduced with a current development build, since the fix in the linked bug isn't available in Build 19 yet.

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote
kaputtnik
Version: current master
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2017-04-24, 20:56

I have asked NoLand per PN to send me the save game, so i could test it with current trunk. Unfortunately he didn't respond.

NoLand, if you still have the faulty save game, could you please look into your messages inbox to get my email adress and send me that save game?

Fight simulator for Widelands:
https://wide-fighter.netlify.app/

Top Quote