Latest Posts

Topic: Bugs

einstein13
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2017-02-16, 14:30

Capturing wares is a big problem: there are wares and workers (also soldiers) that shouldn't get to the enemy's economy (strange wares, limitless storage of low value ware, all workers and soldiers). Also the problem is with the real building: what should be done with it? Change into other building? (ex. small tent), or change to another tribe's warehouse?

I can see one option: after conquering warehouse (territory where that warehouse existed), you can build a flag immediately and select up to 8 wares you want. All of them will be stored on that flag. Not selecting anything will cause full destruction of the building, as it is now. This idea is whole new logic, but can be done without (almost) any graphic development.

einstein13
calculations & maps packages: http://wuatek.no-ip.org/~rak/widelands/
backup website files: http://kartezjusz.ddns.net/upload/widelands/

Top Quote
king_of_nowhere
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2017-02-16, 18:47

for the pproductivity treshold, I already suggested to add a button to "shut down" the building; no "out of work" messages will be generated by it. It applies to woodcutters with little wood and exhausted mines you keep because you have no other resources.

the part about capturing wares I don't like. First, warehouses are not military buildings, nor they should be. we already have ports and headquarters. Second, the smart thing is to burn down a building about to be captured anyway, so it wouldn't add much. but in case one forgets, or in case one is a noob and doesn't realize it (or in case, despite all my protestations that it is a fundamental part of defensive balance, someone writes a code that prevents buildings under attack to be destroied), then it is overly penalizing for the defender.

Edited: 2017-02-16, 18:51

Top Quote
WorldSavior
Topic Opener
Version: Recent tournament version
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2017-02-16, 23:11

Tibor wrote:

@WorldSavior Ownership by root should not be obstacle to editing the file. It should not be rocket science to change the owner to your current user or so.

For me it is even harder face-tongue.png

My idea is statistics of produced times, like:

1050 1110 1220 1348 1848 1889 1957 2157 2185 2237

(in seconds)

So if current time is 2300, last 10 minutes started at 1700, that would be 6 wares, if the site produces single ware - it is simple. If more wares, that would be more complicated. Than we could store also productions times along each time above.

I had already understood what you mean...

kaputtnik wrote:

WorldSavior wrote:

Thanks for the information! But I've got a problem: Changing the lua-file didn't work, because it is write-protected. And it seems to be hard to change that if you use Linux...

Just copy the whole folder into your home directory, there you should have write permissions. Then start widelands with the option --datadir=/home/worldsavior/widelands/ (may adjust the path to the folder where you copied the data-files into)

Thanks. But I don't understand how to do that...

Tibor wrote:

Alternatively:

a) Check your file manager - perhaps it allows rights elevation (will ask for root password) and allow you to change authorization

b) Or just lear how to change the authorities/ownership in console

sudo bash

or

su -

then change ownership to your user (use actual account of course)

chown youruser /path/to/file.lua

or allow write access to everybody (g=group, o=others, +w=add write access)

chmod go+w /path/to/file.lua

And then the file will be writable for you from GUI

EDIT:

So the "session" can look like:

$ ls -al ./trees/deadtree5/init.lua
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 422 feb 13 18:53 ./trees/deadtree5/init.lua  #only root can r+w
$ chmod go+wr ./trees/deadtree5/init.lua                       #add rw authorities for group and others
$ ls -al ./trees/deadtree5/init.lua 
-rw-rw-rw- 1 root root 422 feb 13 18:53 ./trees/deadtree5/init.lua  #now all can r&w

Thanks. Unfortunately, "a)" didn't work. And I don't understand how to do "b)"...

fuchur wrote:

WorldSavior wrote:

fuchur wrote:

WorldSavior wrote:

4 : In the match between Tando and waylon531, Tando's headquarter was destroyed because a guardhouse close to it was conquered. I think that it's a bug, because a headquarter should have higher priority, like a fortress. (A guardhouse next to a fortress cannot be conquered, it will be always destroyed automaticly). To watch this situation, just watch a little bit of the time after the replay (after 230 minutes) http://www.widelands.org/~sirver/wl/161121_tournament_2016_replays/Round04/

I was curious and had a look at the incident you mention. From what I saw I'd say it's not a bug because Tando hat no soldiers in is headquarter. That means it is treated like any other unmanned military building and therefore got destroyed when waylon531 conquered the guardhouse next to it. If there had been at least one soldier inside the headquarter I guess the guardhouse couldn't have been conquered but would have been burned instead.

There is a (quite old) bug report for this: https://bugs.launchpad.net/widelands/+bug/536583

OKay... I still think it's a bug (headquarters are like ports, and ports conquer terrain without soldiers - different to military buildings) - but the priority of that bug might be very low, if it doesn't cause bigger problems face-tongue.png

Ok, I think I didn't phrase correctly what I meant. That was the following: the game is designed that buildings are burned down if they are not protected by soldiers inside or the influence range of another manned military building. Consequently that happens to the headquarters as well.

If that should be really logic, ports shouldn't conquer fields if they don't have some soldiers. But they do so... face-wink.png

GunChleoc wrote:

The missing attack message is confirmed now. Thanks for the savegame face-smile.png

Again, you're welcome face-smile.png

Issues in this thread that still need looking into and be turned into proper bugs:

1. Crystal mines overproducing - how to reproduce the problem.

Now I'm sure about one misfunction of them. They produce everything if at least one of their three wares is needed. But I think that they should produce diamonds only if diamonds are needed, and so on.

1. Fixing the productivity statistics

Concerning the Barbarian Trainings camp: I found out that it does two unnecessary breaks per soldier if only warhelmets are missing. If it would just skip these breaks, it would work at 100%. I think that the Empirial Trainings Camp behaves like that. But I also think, that the Labyrinth makes mistakes, similar to the barbarian Trainings Camp.

And yes, it would be great, if productivity statistics would show the actual productivity face-smile.png

king_of_nowhere wrote:

for the pproductivity treshold, I already suggested to add a button to "shut down" the building; no "out of work" messages will be generated by it. It applies to woodcutters with little wood and exhausted mines you keep because you have no other resources.

That would be really important. Especially for exhausted mines... The lack of such a button makes it very uncomfortable to play with them.

Edited: 2017-02-16, 23:12

Wanted to save the world, then I got widetracked

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2017-02-17, 15:29

I had a look at the Crystalmine. I has 3 programs:

1. Produce 5 granite, 1 quartz
  2. Produce 3 granite, 3 quartz
  3. Produce 1 granite, 2 diamonds

All 3 programs are run if economy needs granite or economy needs quartz or economy needs diamond

We could remove the quartz/diamond check where those wares aren't produced, but I don't know what that does for balancing.

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote
JanO
Ranking
At home in WL-forums
Posted at: 2017-02-17, 16:36

One weird idea: What about giving different programs to the mine depending on the experience of the deployed workers there? What I'm thinking of is that a very experienced miner would find the desired material (let it be diamond, stone or whatever) with much less "searching" for it and therefore not digging out 20 quartz before one diamond comes out of the earth.

Like: Level1 miner: Only 1 program: x stones - y diamond - x stones - z quartz

Level2 miner: 2 programs: x stones - 1 diamond OR x stones 1 quartz

Level3 miner: 3 programs: 1 stone OR 1 diamond OR 1 quartz (maybe with the restriction to run the same program more than two times in a row)

In general I like the idea of developing the skills of my workers and gaining more opportunities by that. That's the main reason I like Barbarians most face-wink.png

Edited: 2017-02-17, 16:37

Top Quote
WorldSavior
Topic Opener
Version: Recent tournament version
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2017-02-17, 18:30

GunChleoc wrote:

We could remove the quartz/diamond check where those wares aren't produced,

I'm sorry, I don't understand that. Could you please explain it?

but I don't know what that does for balancing.

Which kind of balancing?

JanO wrote:

One weird idea: What about giving different programs to the mine depending on the experience of the deployed workers there?

Atlantean miners don't gain experience...

What I'm thinking of is that a very experienced miner would find the desired material (let it be diamond, stone or whatever) with much less "searching" for it and therefore not digging out 20 quartz before one diamond comes out of the earth.

Like: Level1 miner: Only 1 program: x stones - y diamond - x stones - z quartz

Level2 miner: 2 programs: x stones - 1 diamond OR x stones 1 quartz

Level3 miner: 3 programs: 1 stone OR 1 diamond OR 1 quartz (maybe with the restriction to run the same program more than two times in a row)

Why shouldn't the crystal mine run only the programs which are needed?

Wanted to save the world, then I got widetracked

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2017-02-17, 19:43

WorldSavior wrote:

GunChleoc wrote:

We could remove the quartz/diamond check where those wares aren't produced,

I'm sorry, I don't understand that. Could you please explain it?

We have now:

1. if economy needs granite or economy needs quartz or economy needs diamond: Produce 5 granite, 1 quartz. Skip otherwise.
  2. if economy needs granite or economy needs quartz or economy needs diamond: Produce 3 granite, 3 quartz. Skip otherwise.
  3. if economy needs granite or economy needs quartz or economy needs diamond: Produce 1 granite, 2 diamonds. Skip otherwise.

The change would be:

1. if economy needs granite or economy needs quartz: Produce 5 granite, 1 quartz. Skip otherwise.
  2. if economy needs granite or economy needs quartz: Produce 3 granite, 3 quartz. Skip otherwise.
  3. if economy needs granite or economy needs diamond: Produce 1 granite, 2 diamonds. Skip otherwise.

but I don't know what that does for balancing.

Which kind of balancing?

This make the Atlantean Crystalmines more efficient and thus the Atlantean economy stronger than before. They are already reported to be quite strong in late-game in comparison to the other tribes, which is where the precious resources are used.

JanO wrote:

One weird idea: What about giving different programs to the mine depending on the experience of the deployed workers there?

Atlantean miners don't gain experience...

What I'm thinking of is that a very experienced miner would find the desired material (let it be diamond, stone or whatever) with much less "searching" for it and therefore not digging out 20 quartz before one diamond comes out of the earth.

This would need coding changes as well. At the moment, it's not possible, as production is determined by building type alone.

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote
king_of_nowhere
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2017-02-18, 17:09

I don't think it would afffect the balance. atlanteans need very little diamonds or quartz anyway. making it slightly more or less expensive is negligible on the game.

Top Quote
JanO
Ranking
At home in WL-forums
Posted at: 2017-02-18, 18:30

GunChleoc wrote:

This would need coding changes as well. At the moment, it's not possible, as production is determined by building type alone.

I see - and I expected something like this answer. That's why I called my idea "weird" face-wink.png

But your redesign of the conditions for the three programs should do very well, I guess.

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2017-02-19, 00:10

Merge request for crystal mines is up: https://code.launchpad.net/~widelands-dev/widelands/crystal_mine_economy_needs/+merge/317708

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote