Latest Posts

Topic: Several Suggestions

toptopple
Ranking
At home in WL-forums
Posted at: 2017-01-15, 15:28

@WorldSavior: I was working on several of the sounds for Widelands and I recently pondered to substitute the more or less boring homesaw sound for ATL tree-felling with some decent chainsaw recordings.

But what do people mean with "metal cling" (annoying)? Do you mean the hammering or something else? And what do you mean with "leveling out"?

Top Quote
kaputtnik
Version: current master
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2017-01-15, 16:04

toptopple wrote:

But what do people mean with "metal cling" (annoying)? Do you mean the hammering or something else?

For me the sounds of the smiths are annoying. One could find them in data/sound/smiths/. The smith_*.ogg files as well the toolsmith_*.ogg files are very 'prominent'. Don't know if they are just too loud or if they seem to be loud ('prominent') because of the bright sound. For me they cause some kind of pain in my ears and those sounds are the main reason why i reduce the volume.

Edited: 2017-01-15, 16:05

Fight simulator for Widelands:
https://wide-fighter.netlify.app/

Top Quote
teppo

Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2017-01-15, 16:33

kaputtnik wrote: For me the sounds of the smiths are annoying. One could find them in data/sound/smiths/. The smith_*.ogg files as well the toolsmith_*.ogg files are very 'prominent'.

Same here.

Top Quote
toptopple
Ranking
At home in WL-forums
Posted at: 2017-01-16, 12:25

You are right they may be a bit too loud and sharp. These sounds are very old and I surmise from a time when loudness wasn't considered a modifiable setting. I will address myself on the issue when my latest enhancement branch has been processed.

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2017-01-17, 13:45

I think we should lower the volume of he "annoying" sounds for now - those will mainly be sounds that really stick out like the clanging and the "timber". As an additional measure, we could lower the probability was well to make them play less often on busy maps. Less options are always better here, because it will mean less for the user to do. So, adding finer sound controls should be the last resort in trying to fix this.

Before we add new options, I'd like to get the faders into the fullscreen options menu and then make all the options that make sense available in-game/in-editor as well.

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote
WorldSavior
Topic Opener
Version: Recent tournament version
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2017-01-27, 17:45

teppo wrote:

Uh, Sorry. I was not clear. I have not pushed any of those changes to the repository, as those changes reflect my own preferences only. People playing alone or with headphones would probably not like my choices.

No reason to be sorry face-wink.png

So do you have your own version of widelands or doesn't change that anything of the fact that it's still the same version which is online-game-compatible?

If that's the case, my next suggestion would be to make it easier to all widelands-players to set their own preferences face-wink.png

And by the way, I wouldn't like it if the sounds of messages would be not as loud as the sound of attack-messages...

toptopple wrote:

@WorldSavior: I was working on several of the sounds for Widelands and I recently pondered to substitute the more or less boring homesaw sound for ATL tree-felling with some decent chainsaw recordings.

Okayyyy.... face-tongue.png

GunChleoc wrote:

Less options are always better here, because it will mean less for the user to do. So, adding finer sound controls should be the last resort in trying to fix this.

It's interesting that you have got this opinion. It's the opposite of my opinion, because: It's for me no big problem to do (once) some settings which could last forever, but I don't like it at all that I cannot do anything against certain sounds.

Wanted to save the world, then I got widetracked

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2017-01-27, 19:58

Well, the best option would be for the sounds to be so perfect that you don't need to set anything at all!

Dividing the messages sound level from the ambient sound level does make sense though.

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote
king_of_nowhere
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2017-01-28, 01:22

I'd be of the opinion of not touching sounds, simply because everybody seems to disagree on which ones are annoying.

Top Quote
WorldSavior
Topic Opener
Version: Recent tournament version
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2017-01-30, 17:55

GunChleoc wrote:

Well, the best option would be for the sounds to be so perfect that you don't need to set anything at all!

Yes, sure. But I don't see that it could be perfect: Many people think that there are annoying sounds, but at the other hand, there are some guys who thought it would be a good idea to implement those sounds...

Dividing the messages sound level from the ambient sound level does make sense though.

+1

king_of_nowhere wrote:

I'd be of the opinion of not touching sounds, simply because everybody seems to disagree on which ones are annoying.

You just want that I don't play anymore face-wink.png But do you know what? I'm going to play less Widelands in the future anyway, probably face-wink.png

Well, if everybody is disagreeing about annoying sounds, sounds should be changed: Everybody should be able to set own preferences.

Wanted to save the world, then I got widetracked

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2017-01-31, 08:38

Bug time: https://bugs.launchpad.net/widelands/+bug/1660544

I still think we could lower the level for the "timber" sound, as it is very dominant, as well as for the high metallic sounds that are causing discomfort.

kaputtnik wrote:

toptopple wrote:

But what do people mean with "metal cling" (annoying)? Do you mean the hammering or something else?

For me the sounds of the smiths are annoying. One could find them in data/sound/smiths/. The smith_*.ogg files as well the toolsmith_*.ogg files are very 'prominent'. Don't know if they are just too loud or if they seem to be loud ('prominent') because of the bright sound. For me they cause some kind of pain in my ears and those sounds are the main reason why i reduce the volume.

Edited: 2017-01-31, 08:45

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote