Currently Online

Latest Posts

Topic: Widelands tournament 2016; official announcements

GunChleoc
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2017-01-21, 19:56

I'll be playing Trimard in a few minutes.

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote
WorldSavior
Version: Recent tournament version
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2017-01-22, 16:10

SirVer wrote:

I added an event for the game into the sidebar.

Very good :D The other matches might be called "Sir_of_nowhere vs. NotAWorld" and "not_a_nowhere vs. WorldSaVer" or "nowherebilis vs. WorldSirVer" face-wink.png

Wanted to save the world, then I got widetracked

Top Quote
king_of_nowhere
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2017-01-22, 16:27

I like also "king of sirver vs worldabilis" and "worldsirver vs notwherebilis"

Oh, since I had a horrible vision of me forgetting to come, I add anothe rule:

• if a player does not show up without announcing it, he is given -1 points; the game is still disputed, at a later date

I was also thinking on something in case someone forgets to come multiple times, but I decided that it's already unlikely enough that one of us will forget the game, much less forget it more than once.

Top Quote
WorldSavior
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2017-01-22, 19:17

king_of_nowhere wrote:

I like also "king of sirver vs worldabilis" and "worldsirver vs notwherebilis"

Me too face-smile.png And "king_of_sirwhere" would be one further possibility face-wink.png

Top Quote
king_of_nowhere
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2017-01-22, 22:33

Ok, the time is out and the first phase is done! janus and epicspartan both lose by forfait, but I doubt they care about it anywway face-tongue.png

Updated rankings are available in the first page and in the wiki. Soon an excel datasheet will also be made available (einstein wanted to try some statistics on it?).

Top Quote
king_of_nowhere
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2017-01-24, 22:14

Second game is done, worldsavior and notabilis won - actually, worldsavior could have won alone. He is now mathematically a winner. But if me and notabilis win the next game, then we will all 3 be tied up as winners. and notabilis is playing better than sirver in this second phase, so this gives me some hope. if worldsavior wins, he is the winner.

I can't figure out what he's doing better than me. he is playing very similar, and by just looking at the replay I would even get the impression that he's doing worse - he has less farms, for example. yet he already had 3 fully promoted soldiers after one and a half hour, while I had my first after two hours when playing the same position with the same tribe. Maybe he has more wood and so he starts faster, but he was using for wood exactly the same land as I did. still, that's the most likely answer i see for now.

Anyway, the next and FINAL game will be next tuesday at the same hour, and then we will have one or three winners.

Top Quote
einstein13
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2017-01-24, 23:37

king_of_nowhere wrote:

I can't figure out what he's doing better than me.

Maybe you've found the perfect opponent: somebody just like you? face-grin.png

einstein13
calculations & maps packages: http://wuatek.no-ip.org/~rak/widelands/
backup website files: http://kartezjusz.ddns.net/upload/widelands/

Top Quote
king_of_nowhere
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2017-01-25, 21:08

if he were "just like me", he'd be explaining in detail his strategy on the forum, to teach others. possibly write a guide.

Top Quote
king_of_nowhere
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2017-01-26, 16:06

ok, I've seen a couple differences. first thing, he actually made more wood than I did, and he was faster as a result. he used a slightly larger area for wood, and he had two sawmills against my one, and after 70 minutes he had 70 buildings against my 60 when playing the same position. Second difference, he turned down everything in the economy requests, so he'd have almost nothing in his warehouses. I've said somewhere that having fewer wares is good, because you want to turn all your wares into soldiers, not put them in a warehouse. and in fact worldsavior had the lowest amount of wares of all players. he was able to make the first promoted soldier while he had still like 2 farms. I never attempted to do it with so few resources. this only affects the early game, as I would have caught up to him as I gradually used all the bread and fish I had stored, but you can use an early game advantage to grab some permanent kind of advantage. namely, he killed my teammate with that advantage, and so by the time i could catch up with him, he had twice the land, three times with the teammate.

Also, I am seeing that the yellow position is pretty bad for getting wood. I could only get to around 50 buildings in 70 minutes, lower than i did in the other positions. on the plus side, it has better connectivity than the red position, so it's probably no worse, or not much worse, than the red position (which requires towers to go anywhere and has all the better build spaces on the other side of the map). blue is the best i've played of the three, it combines passable chances to get wood and enough building spaces. I will not play green, but I would like to know the opinion of someone who did. that's the kind of balancing issues that you'd never find out without playing the map in a high level competition.

Edited: 2017-01-26, 16:07

Top Quote
WorldSavior
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2017-01-27, 17:52

king_of_nowhere wrote:

actually, worldsavior could have won alone.

I'm not sure about that at all. Your defense strategy is very effective... You stopped me with just a couple of soldiers and I wasted a lot of building materials.

if he were "just like me", he'd be explaining in detail his strategy on the forum, to teach others. possibly write a guide.

Well, I'm not sure if that's my style. You are outstanding in this category (and in many other categories too, of course face-smile.png ) I prefer to write game suggestions.

he killed my teammate

Why is everyone using the word "kill" here? I didn't kill anyone, I just destroyed some buildings of SirVer face-wink.png

I will not play green, but I would like to know the opinion of someone who did.

Maybe I'm going to tell you something about that after the tournament...

Edited: 2017-01-27, 17:53

Top Quote