Topic: Game craches without recognizable indication

Goofy
Topic Opener
Version: 1.1 release
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2017-01-24, 13:11

Hello to all,

I would like to announce a bug. Unfortunately, I can't recognize a reason for it, so I try to discribe what has happened:

I played the map 'The Nile' and after approximatly 9:05 hours of gameplay, the game shuts down suddenly without a message.

I'm new here and don't know how to create a useful bug-report. Maybe the best solution is, that I send the saved game-file to one of the administrators of this forum. Then you can try, if it will be the same on other machines, or create a better diagnosis.

The game-file is saving a few minutes before it will 'crashing'. (With the page-up-key you'll get it faster) Can you tell me, where I can send the game-file?

My Operating System is: Sparky Linux Linux 4.8.0-2-amd64 (x86_64)

best Greetings goofy

Top Quote
kaputtnik
Version: current master
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2017-01-24, 15:07

Hi and welcome to the forums, Goofy face-smile.png

A crash is always a bad thing face-sad.png

Which widelands version are you running? In case it is a debug build you could to run it over a terminal by just typing

widelands

and press enter. There should be some output then.

I send you my e-mail address per private message, so you could send me the file.

Fight simulator for Widelands:
https://wide-fighter.netlify.app/

Top Quote
Goofy
Topic Opener
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2017-01-24, 15:50

Hello kaputtnik,

thank you for welcome. :-) No, that crash is a little thing. The Widelands is under development, and it's a great project! If I can help only by playing, I will do it. face-smile.png

I'm using: 'Widelands Version build-19 (Release)' ...Do you need the other output, too?

Then I'll looking to my Email-Account now.

Thank you :-)

Top Quote
kaputtnik
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2017-01-24, 18:22

I think you ran into one of the remaining bugs in widelands build19, namely Segfault right after colony harbour is constructed. The last message in Terminal is:

Attempting to setup port without neighboring water (coords:  57x254).

I discovered the area and it shows me this situation:

discovered portspace

The border of the red player is too close to the port. I think this save game is lost face-sad.png (and all previous save games where the orange player decided to put a port there)

Top Quote
Goofy
Topic Opener
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2017-01-25, 09:57

Thank you very much for your diagnosis, kaputtnik. :-) I think the developers will fix this bug soon, if the problem is known. Like I said: It doesn't matter. It's a good feeling, that the game is alive!

I can play a new game, or I can try it with an earlier autosave... -All is well! :-)

goofy

Top Quote
kaputtnik
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2017-01-25, 10:24

Goofy wrote:

If I can help only by playing, I will do it. face-smile.png

Playing and finding bugs is always welcome. Actually the work for build 19 is completed and the developers are working on the next release.

Since you're on linux you should try the unofficial development builds. Sparky linux derives from debian, so you could may use the Ubuntu ppa? Or you could compile widelands by yourself: Building Widelands. Sounds complicated but it isn't, because widelands comes with a handy compile script face-smile.png

Top Quote
Goofy
Topic Opener
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2017-01-25, 11:48

Hello kaputtnik,

it's a good tip, with the dailys update. But unfortunately all the commands which I see on the link, doesn't working. For example: If I type

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:widelands-dev/widelands-daily

the system is answers: command not found

I have searched 2 hours for a quick solution in the Web, but haven't found the right tip. Have you got any idea? If not, I will ask in the Sparky-Forum for an answer. ...It can be only a little thing...

goofy

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2017-01-25, 11:49

I think this bug is already fixed in trunk, so you could try loading your savegame in a current development version.

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote
kaputtnik
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2017-01-25, 12:09

You may have to install the package: software-properties-common

Got this information from: http://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/45879/how-to-add-repository-from-shell-in-debian#45905

But better ask in the sparky forum.

Top Quote
Goofy
Topic Opener
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2017-01-25, 13:10

Hello kaputtnik, now I have installed the missing Linux-system-packages: In my case it was not enough to install the software-properties-common, because in Sparky-Linux they are already existing.

I have found now a helpful link:

https://pricklytech.wordpress.com/2014/05/16/ubuntu-server-14-4-trusty-add-apt-repository-command-not-found/

The first line with '...install python-software-properties' is mostly not necessary because they are already exists in the distributions. But the following parts '...install apt-file' etc. are important, for working the 'add-apt-repository'-command.

Now the

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:widelands-dev/widelands-daily

command is working. It's only one error-message, now:

aptsources.distro.NoDistroTemplateException: Error: could not find a distribution template for Sparky/Tyche

But I hope thats unimportant?

How can I recognize, which exactly Widelands-Version is running now?

goofy

Top Quote