Latest Posts

Topic: Widelands tournament 2016; official announcements

SirVer

Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2017-01-13, 22:23

I edged out a win against Tando. It was another very good and close game with a lot of back and forth. I took the early lead - tando then overtook me and nearly got me, but I managed to persist and got my level 10 soldier factory rolling. This bought me the win. The replay is worth watching if I say so myself :).

Top Quote
king_of_nowhere
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2017-01-13, 22:54

I feel bad for tando; he plays much better than his score of 2/5 would imply. At least his massive bucholz vindicates him.

Anyway, that means that (unless notabilis and waylon somehow manage to draw or to lose both by forfait) there will be 4 people in the final phase. Which I quite hoped, because it gives me the chance to try something I've been wanting to try for a long time: 2v2 with changing teams!

-------- OFFICIAL ANNOUNCEMENT ON SECOND PHASE--------

The idea is simple: 4 players called A, B, C, D, play 3 games in teams as A+B vs C+D, A+C vs B+D, A+D vs C+B. Who wins more games individuallly wins the tournament. This would be relatively easy to arrange if all players share the same time zone. The three players who so far made it to 4 points all share the european timezone, and also notabilis, while waylon is in western america. So, waylon, I hope you do not take it personally if I cheeer for notabilis face-smile.png

If waylon wins, we can try it, but if we fail to play a game after two weekends because there's always someone missing, we go back to 1v1. Exact pairings will be:

blue green yellow red teams round
B A C D A+B vs C+D 1
A C D B A+C vs B+D 2
C D B A A+D vs B+C 3

(note; teams will change from blue + green to blue + yellow; the map can support both north vs south and east vs west, and it was the only way I could find to ensure every player got a different position every time; which is important in case the positions turned out to be less balanced than I believed them to be)

In case two players end up tied with 2 victories, the tournament will be considered draw (i could decide on a last match, but if two people remain balanced so far, i prefer to honor them both). The places A, B, C, D will be decided by the order in the ranking; so Worldsavior is A and I am B, while C and D are still uncertain.

Tribe choice will be free until the last minute, because I've seen that nobody cares to change tribe anyway and it is less of a hassle to keep track. In case two people want to see what the other picks to choose (very unlikely, but needs to be covered) blue player has to pick first, followed by red and so in in player order. If I host future tournaments I will keep this rule for choosing the tribe.

Edited: 2017-01-13, 23:07

Top Quote
tando
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2017-01-13, 23:49

Congratulations to SirVer, it was a lot of fun, and that was the point. Do not worry king_of_nowhere maybe I win the next tournament face-wink.png

Top Quote
einstein13
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2017-01-14, 00:57

king_of_nowhere wrote:

No, I just assumed that nobody would prepare seriously. In the previous tournament nobody did, I did prepare really hard to make the perfect start on every map, and I won all games easily; I even won a game where my teammate failed his start and I was left virtually 1v2.

You are wrong face-smile.png . I and my teammate played several times every map and find their strong and weak sides. That is why we managed to survive for so long. But you prepared much better. That is why you felt that nobody prepared for the game. Just nobody prepared for you face-grin.png

einstein13
calculations & maps packages: http://wuatek.no-ip.org/~rak/widelands/
backup website files: http://kartezjusz.ddns.net/upload/widelands/

Top Quote
Lokimaros
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2017-01-14, 03:56

WorldSavior wrote:

Lokimaros wrote:

So I, for one, would be grateful if either of the contestants (or even one of the spectators) could provide SirVerII with such a savegame.

There have been spectators? face-grin.png

I would not know, as I wasn't there, contrary to my intentions. But since the savegame has been uploaded now (and downloaded and watched by me), the point is moot.

Top Quote
Lokimaros
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2017-01-14, 04:11

einstein13 wrote:

king_of_nowhere wrote:

No, I just assumed that nobody would prepare seriously. In the previous tournament nobody did, I did prepare really hard to make the perfect start on every map, and I won all games easily; I even won a game where my teammate failed his start and I was left virtually 1v2.

You are wrong face-smile.png . I and my teammate played several times every map and find their strong and weak sides. That is why we managed to survive for so long. But you prepared much better. That is why you felt that nobody prepared for the game. Just nobody prepared for you face-grin.png

In this evening's game between SirVerII and tando, the latter showed a marked improvement over his previous performance, inspired by the analyses made of that Fourth round game, which I think points to a method of improving tournaments and inspiring newer players: let some insightful people analyse the best games of the last round in the forum, and soon you'll be fighting for your life to maintain a place in the top half of the tournament. face-tongue.png

In fact, both players voiced an interest in my thoughts on their altercation, so if I find time and energy tomorrow, I will try to analyse the shit out of them. I can tell you this in advance: it was a riveting game, and it took ages before the axe fell on tando, and it could quite possibly have gone the other way, can't be sure of that, yet, as I did not watch in analytical set of mind. Surely a contender for best game of the round.

Top Quote
WorldSavior
Version: Recent tournament version
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2017-01-14, 19:21

king_of_nowhere wrote:

WorldSavior wrote:

king_of_nowhere wrote:

I payed a hard price for not studying the map.

So basicly you've let my win because you wanted that match on "archipelago sea" - at least that's my impression face-wink.png

No, I just assumed that nobody would prepare seriously. In the previous tournament nobody did, I did prepare really hard to make the perfect start on every map, and I won all games easily; I even won a game where my teammate failed his start and I was left virtually 1v2. I assumed that this time by not preparing I would even the field. Also, there is the matter of free time; in the previous tournament, I was doing my phd in a foreign country, all my friends were 2000 km away from me, so I had nothing better to do after work than play videogames; now I am back home, and I spend a lot more time going out, so I have less for tryharding at widelands.

Okay...

Again, that's good for barbarians as their guardhouses are build much faster than every other guardhouse... Maybe you should have played barbarians, haha. I would really like to know how you play with them...

I'm not good with barbarians. Well, I'm worse than I am with atlanteans, at least. I know barbarians are supposed to use their cheap mines to make cheap soldiers and rush, while saving some resources to make a few elites later, but I never managed to pull it out satisfactorily. Maybe I will try in the future

Okay... We will see...

king_of_nowhere wrote:

In case two players end up tied with 2 victories, the tournament will be considered draw (i could decide on a last match, but if two people remain balanced so far, i prefer to honor them both).

What would happen if three people would remain balanced? The same?

By the way: I think that this second round offers a lot of potential face-smile.png

tando wrote:

Congratulations to SirVer, it was a lot of fun, and that was the point. Do not worry king_of_nowhere maybe I win the next tournament face-wink.png

Well, in case i would participate in that tournament, it would be my aim to win it. So I would like to reach that the winner will not be only you.

Wanted to save the world, then I got widetracked

Top Quote
king_of_nowhere
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2017-01-14, 20:11

WorldSavior wrote:

king_of_nowhere wrote:

In case two players end up tied with 2 victories, the tournament will be considered draw (i could decide on a last match, but if two people remain balanced so far, i prefer to honor them both).

What would happen if three people would remain balanced? The same?

I assumed it would not be possible, but I missed my statistics. So we have 3 games, 8 possible outcomes. A+B vs C+D, A+C vs B+D, A+D vs C+B. If results are 111, A wins with 3 points. If 110, A B and C are tied up with 2 points. If 101, A, B and D are tied up with 2 points. If 100, B wins with 3. If 011, A, C and D are tied up with 2 points. If 010, C wins with 3 points. If 001, D wins with 3 points. And if 000, B, C and D are tied up. So it turned out that it was not possible for 2 players to have a tie, we have either a winner or a three player tie.

Anyway yes, the tournament will be a tie.

Top Quote
SirVer

Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2017-01-14, 21:46

I would appreciate if we do not do the 2v2 3 games - I found 5 games to be enough for a tournament for me personally. 3 more is a lot of time investment which I do not have really right now. I would appreciate if I could get away with no more games or at max one tie breaker.

Besides my personal situation, I also think the tournament was long enough and great - I think finishing it quickly now and then do a more fancy one in a couple of months would be preferable. It would also allow more people to participate again instead of just the same 4 players for 3 games like in this final phase.

I also do not care personally what place I am that much. I improved a lot as a player in this tournament and that was fun. I also played a ton of very close games which was also fun and showed me that balance in Widelands is not in a terrible spot. Most surprising to me was that I liked the alternative win condition games much more than the Autocrats one - my wood gnome game was the best game of Widelands I ever played or witnessed.

Top Quote
trimard
Ranking
Widelands-Forum-Junkie
Posted at: 2017-01-14, 22:15

Tension is rising... these games might be very interesting to watch!! Please tell us when you have those so we can spectate face-grin.png

Top Quote