Latest Posts

Topic: Several Suggestions

kaputtnik
Version: current master
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2017-01-10, 10:59

WorldSavior wrote:

My suggestion would be: 8. Remove this "timber"-sound, because it is annoying. I really like widelands, but by my opinion it is full of annoying sounds. It is not necessary to hear a shout when a tree falls down, because that happens really often face-wink.png

I usually decrease the volume to a very small value so that the widelands sounds are very quiet.

In build 19, there is even a new annoying sound, it is probably a big animal, but I don't know exactly which one ;-) And the weapon-smiths are a little bit too noisy, aren't they?

The 'pling-pling' of the weapon smithy disturbs me also, because it is very loud (or better: present) against the other sounds.

Because the volume affects also the messages, maybe it would good to have different sound settings for 'Animals and Workers' and 'Messages'. So one could completely disable 'Animals and Workers' but keeps the sound for messages on.

Fight simulator for Widelands:
https://wide-fighter.netlify.app/

Top Quote
WorldSavior
Topic Opener
Version: Recent tournament version
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2017-01-10, 11:50

Lokimaros wrote:

Or better yet, replace "timber" with the sound of a tree falling. I've been looking for a good and fairly brief one, but as yet not found one I liked.

Ok, why not. In fact, the sound of the Atlanteans who are cutting wood is pleasant and not annoying at all... face-smile.png

king_of_nowhere wrote:

i proposed suggestion 9 myself.

Didn't know that... But I don't see that yet...

kaputtnik wrote:

WorldSavior wrote:

My suggestion would be: 8. Remove this "timber"-sound, because it is annoying. I really like widelands, but by my opinion it is full of annoying sounds. It is not necessary to hear a shout when a tree falls down, because that happens really often face-wink.png

I usually decrease the volume to a very small value so that the widelands sounds are very quiet.

I can understand why, but it is important to hear if you are attacked, because you cannot see that always... And messages are also important, yes...

In build 19, there is even a new annoying sound, it is probably a big animal, but I don't know exactly which one ;-) And the weapon-smiths are a little bit too noisy, aren't they?

The 'pling-pling' of the weapon smithy disturbs me also, because it is very loud (or better: present) against the other sounds.

Because the volume affects also the messages, maybe it would good to have different sound settings for 'Animals and Workers' and 'Messages'. So one could completely disable 'Animals and Workers' but keeps the sound for messages on.

That would also be a solution. In Build 19, there is a new feature: "Enable or disable sounds of messages", but if you also disable sounds, messages are always silent.

Edited: 2017-01-10, 11:55

Wanted to save the world, then I got widetracked

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2017-01-11, 23:51

Lokimaros wrote:

Or better yet, replace "timber" with the sound of a tree falling. I've been looking for a good and fairly brief one, but as yet not found one I liked.

+1

That would also be a solution. In Build 19, there is a new feature: "Enable or disable sounds of messages", but if you also disable sounds, messages are always silent.

I think that's for chat messages only.

10.: And I miss another feature in the message-system: In build 18, you could quickly delete all messages by "invert selection"+delete, in build19, this feature got lost...

I asked at the time and nobody seemed to be using it, but I'm working on a replacement feature using standard key combinations: https://code.launchpad.net/~widelands-dev/widelands/table_multiselect/+merge/312747

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote
toptopple
Ranking
At home in WL-forums
Posted at: 2017-01-13, 09:09

Since some time I wondered if we should not add a new check-entry "Allow for annoying game content" to the Program Options. This could hold e.g. the "Mimba" shouting, the new chain-saw (ATL) and the Stag mooing.

Top Quote
kaputtnik
Version: current master
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2017-01-13, 10:53

toptopple wrote:

Since some time I wondered if we should not add a new check-entry "Allow for annoying game content" to the Program Options. This could hold e.g. the "Mimba" shouting, the new chain-saw (ATL) and the Stag mooing.

Who decides then which sounds are annoying? I think some feels sound-x and some feels that sound-y is annoying and there couldn't be a general rule for it.

IMHO it would be better to categorize the sounds and then add such option for each category:

• Play Musik
  • Play animal sounds
  • Play working sounds
  • Play spoken sounds #this is currently "timber" for felling trees, the only spoken sound at the moment
  • Disable all sounds #would also disable sound for messages, which is otherwise always on

But i think this is only worth the work if there is general consensus that some sounds are disturbing or the disturbing things couldn't be handled with the currently sound settings.

Fight simulator for Widelands:
https://wide-fighter.netlify.app/

Top Quote
AlleyJazz
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2017-01-13, 12:56

Maybe I'm the only one, or one of a few... but I actually like the "timber"-sound. (if I'm not mistaken, it already got replaced in a recent version)

My wx actually called the whole game "timba" and especially asked me to play it, so she could sleep to the nice music and the sounds of the game, including the occasional warning of "timber"

For me, those piercing sounds of metal on metal are more annoying, so I want to recommend levelling out the different sounds. Another good and practical suggestion is the aforementioned grouping of sounds and the introduction of more volume faders.

Top Quote
WorldSavior
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2017-01-13, 17:15

GunChleoc wrote:

I think that's for chat messages only.

I checked that for you. It's for all messages.

10.: And I miss another feature in the message-system: In build 18, you could quickly delete all messages by "invert selection"+delete, in build19, this feature got lost...

I asked at the time and nobody seemed to be using it, but I'm working on a replacement feature using standard key combinations: https://code.launchpad.net/~widelands-dev/widelands/table_multiselect/+merge/312747

Very good! That would be even better than "invert selection" face-smile.png

toptopple wrote:

I like that idea, but I prefer the idea of kaputtnik, but maybe those ideas could be still combined face-smile.png And of course, the default option for "annoying game content" should be "off" face-wink.png

But what do you mean with "Chainsaw"? face-grin.png I just know normal saws of atlanteans which are not that annoying (my opinion), and not new in this build...

kaputtnik wrote:

IMHO it would be better to categorize the sounds and then add such option for each category:

• Play Musik
  • Play animal sounds
  • Play working sounds
  • Play spoken sounds #this is currently "timber" for felling trees, the only spoken sound at the moment
  • Disable all sounds #would also disable sound for messages, which is otherwise always on

Yes, that's nice. face-smile.png

But i think this is only worth the work if there is general consensus that some sounds are disturbing or the disturbing things couldn't be handled with the currently sound settings.

Hm... From my point of view, annoying sounds are a big problem for increasing the number of people who actually play widelands, so maybe it's not a question of consensus, but of majority face-wink.png

AlleyJazz wrote:

My wx actually called the whole game "timba"

See the problem? Very dominant sound face-wink.png

I want to recommend levelling out the different sounds. Another good and practical suggestion is the aforementioned grouping of sounds and the introduction of more volume faders.

+1

Top Quote
teppo

Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2017-01-14, 18:36

I have re-encoded most the sound files (all except "I am under attack") to significantly lower volume. Highest attenuation to the metal cling, least attenuation to "new message".

Especially when there are other people around, having the game noises low has an advantage. However, not paying attention to an enemy aggression can have severe consequences.

Top Quote
WorldSavior
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2017-01-14, 19:23

I like that. That's a step into the right direction. Thanks face-smile.png

Top Quote
teppo

Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2017-01-15, 10:42

Uh, Sorry. I was not clear. I have not pushed any of those changes to the repository, as those changes reflect my own preferences only. People playing alone or with headphones would probably not like my choices.

Top Quote