Latest Posts

Topic: Widelands tournament 2016; official announcements

einstein13
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2016-11-16, 09:41

toptopple wrote:

On my opponent's visible area in the North there is almost nothing to see, just meadow. I call it the "stealth area"! We receive attacks from this area but we can't attack anyone there nor can we extend our own land into this direction.

The simpliest solution for that is the Fortress/ Citadel/ the biggest military building. It covers the biggest area. Only another Citadel OR Tower can see this building. Barriers can't see them. Another solution is a Scout. You can place him near border and wait when he will go to the enemy's land.

Building up a big military building is a common solution for easy defense (can't see = can't attack).

And about children:

As a father (not an arbiter! face-smile.png ) I can say that children has their own laws. First: child, then: game. That is one of the reasons why I can't participate the tournament this time.

Edited: 2016-11-16, 09:43

einstein13
calculations & maps packages: http://wuatek.no-ip.org/~rak/widelands/
backup website files: http://kartezjusz.ddns.net/upload/widelands/

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2016-11-16, 10:07

The easiest way to provide a screenshot for a potential bug is to attach it to a (new) bug report on Launchpad.

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote
king_of_nowhere
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2016-11-16, 18:08

toptopple wrote:

Babies have priority! Otherwise even the tired ones may have to interrupt a game. What do the rules say about this? face-wink.png

The rules say that since you started a game, you will not be penalized at the first deadline (this sunday). If you play at least another evening before the second deadline (next sunday), you will not be penalized either; all games must end by the second deadline, but if you played a significant amount of time (the rules state six hours, but I'll not be strict on this; the important thing is that there is some contact between the players) I will judge your game and assign a draw or a victory to one side (if you think my decision was unfair you can appeal to einstein), instead of assigning a loss to both as I would if the game had not been played at all.

But if you don't start the game at all because of problems with babies, and you can't reschedule, I am sorry, but I must give the penalty. Players are responsible of organizing their own time, including judging whether they have enough time to participate in the tournament in the first place.

Especially because if I allowed people to get away by claiming big real life problems, then everyone could make false claims and I could penalize nobody. The only way to avoid a penalty without playing is by notifying before the turn that you will have troubles playing, and you'll still lose by forfait after two weeks.

You should have thought of that before making children face-smile.png

Well, ok, you can also avoid a penalty without playing by agreeing to a draw with your opponent without even starting a game, and technically that would count as having played. I did not forbid this in the rules because I assume you're all here because you want to play, and so why should you sign up for the tournament and then draw without playing?

I have to report a phenomenon which I can't categorise properly, perhaps it is an irregularity of some kind or I just can't explain it. On my opponent's visible area in the North there is almost nothing to see, just meadow. I call it the "stealth area"! We receive attacks from this area but we can't attack anyone there nor can we extend our own land into this direction. If the same happened to the South, it would constitute the perfect immunisation strategy. So is it a game bug, a game misconception or what is it? - I have a screenshot ready of this, if s.o. can offer me a place to upload, I could post it here. I'll send it to the King, though.

Otherwise we had a very interesting game and I would enjoy to continue it!

As einstein said, you will need a tower or fortress close to the border, or a scout, to see the enemy building.

Edited: 2016-11-16, 18:13

Top Quote
LAZA
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2016-11-16, 19:20

Game between tando and me will be played at

Friday, 20 pm UTC (21 o'clock in Germany)

* Dell X58 *
Xeon W3680 @ 3.33 GHz
M391B5673FH0-CH9 - 12 GB @ 1.33 GHz
R7260X-DC2OC-1GD5 DirectCU II OC
SP900 64 GB SSD = root; ST3000VX000-1ES1 = home; 2x WD2003FYPS-2 = pub
BDR-208D
-
* Manjaro Testing Xfce *

Top Quote
SirVer

Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2016-11-16, 19:49

[Baby discussion]

Just to clarify: it was Kristin and my baby-girl that was giving trouble. If kristin and toptopple do not manage to find another spot to finish the game, it must not be toptopple that is penalized - but Kristin. I think they plan to continue the game on the weekend though - which seems well in the rules set out, so if that works out no penalizing should happen at all.

Top Quote
king_of_nowhere
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2016-11-16, 20:05

I updated the first post with the communicated dates for the future games. WorldSavior - auktionadmin was scheduled for yesterday, I already PMed both players to see if they forgot to communicate the result or if the game was not completed, like the kristin - toptopple.

I wish I could give it a good formatting. It would all read much better if I could put the names into neat lines and columns. Especially when I will start publishing rankings (which I will after every turn), it will be much easier to read it if the scores and bucholz were all in the same column. But tabulaton does not work, and the forum automatically deletes extra spaces. Anyone knows if there is a way? Also, how do I underline? I can use bold and italics by putting stuff between asteriscs, but not underlining.

Top Quote
kaputtnik
Version: current master
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2016-11-16, 20:25

king_of_nowhere wrote:

I wish I could give it a good formatting. It would all read much better if I could put the names into neat lines and columns. Especially when I will start publishing rankings (which I will after every turn), it will be much easier to read it if the scores and bucholz were all in the same column. But tabulaton does not work, and the forum automatically deletes extra spaces. Anyone knows if there is a way? Also, how do I underline? I can use bold and italics by putting stuff between asteriscs, but not underlining.

Try tables face-smile.png

Fight simulator for Widelands:
https://wide-fighter.netlify.app/

Top Quote
toptopple
Ranking
At home in WL-forums
Posted at: 2016-11-17, 07:07

Since there is plenty of time until ROUND 2, I don't see why we shouldn't improve the map situation there. "Checkmate" has only 4 artifacts to catch. I consider this unfortunate in every aspect. I assume combat isn't enabled in the Artifact game modus, so stakes are high that most of the games will end with a "draw" or however you will name "undecided". It isn't difficult to add another 3 artifacts at appropriate locations in order to rescue this tournamen round. So I suggest we do this!

Top Quote
toptopple
Ranking
At home in WL-forums
Posted at: 2016-11-17, 07:32

I created a modified and balanced map with 3 artifact additions. If ppl are interested I can upload it to "Maps" or some other destination.

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2016-11-17, 09:09

Combat isn't disabled in Artifacts. Our win conditions never change the game mechanics, only what you get scores for / what will finish the game.

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote