Currently Online

Latest Posts

Topic: Widelands tournament 2016; official announcements

king_of_nowhere
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2016-11-08, 17:30

---------------------------------------------------------------- TURNS, DEADLINES AND STATISTICS ------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Signup was open until 13 november

If you cannot play the first turn, and you found someone else who cannot, and you want to agree to a draw, you can do so until the next turn is published

You can change the tribe you want to play until the tribe is published with the turn

Pairings for fifth will be announced on 25 december or after the last game of the fourth turn ends, whichever comes first

Last day to inform me that you will be unable to play the fifth turn in time without incurring in penalties is 25 december or two days after the end of the turn, whicever comes first.

Regular fourth turn is between 11 december and 18 december

Overtime turn (will incur a penalty of -1 to bucholz score) is 19 to 25 december

If you have a game still going, and it must be judged by a referee, you must send the replays no later than 25 december

If you failed to play in time, and you think you are not guilty for it, you must send me proof that it was your opponent who refused to play no later than 25 december

You must declare the tribe you will play on the next turn before the next turn is announced

Games not yet finished will be assigned and second turn pairings will be announced on 25 decemberù

EDIT: link to replays http://www.widelands.org/~sirver/wl/161121_tournament_2016_replays/

--------- FIRST TURN -----------

To avoid making this page even longer than it is already, old turns and rankings will be moved to the wiki page for statistics about the tournament: https://wl.widelands.org/wiki/WidelandsTournament2016FullStatistics/

--------- SECOND TURN -----------

To avoid making this page even longer than it is already, old turns and rankings will be moved to the wiki page for statistics about the tournament: https://wl.widelands.org/wiki/WidelandsTournament2016FullStatistics/

--------- THIRD TURN -----------

--------- FOURTH TURN -----------

--------- FIFTH TURN -----------

Game will be played on "the pass through the mountains", win condition: autocrat (so far, it has been the less used of the 1v1 tournament maps, having been played only once in the 2010 tournament and once in the 2012 tournament)

- blue player tribe result red player tribe time
1 king of nowhere (4) ATL 0-1 WorldSavior (3) ATL wednesday 11 january 19 UTC
2 waylon531 (3) EMP 0-1 notabilis (3) ATL saturday 14 january 18 UTC
3 Sirver (3) EMP 1-0 tando (2) BAR friday 13 january 18:30 UTC
4 Hasi50 (2) ATL 1-0 kristin (2) BAR monday 2 january afternoon (exact time uncertain)
5 LAZA (2) RND 1-0 AlleyJazz (2) BAR thursday 5 january 19 UTC
6 trimard (1) ATL 1-0 gunchleoc (1) ATL
7 janus (1) BAR 0-0 epicspartan098 (1) EMP forfait
- auktionadmin (1) 1-0 forfait N/A

You have time until 15 january to play without being penalized.

You have time until 22 january to play before your game is considered a forfait.

Ranking after round 5

place player score bucholz match penalties
1 WorldSavior 4 16 1
2 king of nowhere 4 16 0
3 notabilis 4 14
4 Sirver 4 12
5 waylon531 3 14
6 Hasi50 3 14 -1
7 LAZA 3 11 -1
8 tando 2 16
9 trimard 2 12
10 auktionadmin 2 11
11 AlleyJazz 2 11 -1
12 kristin 2 8
13 gunchleoc 1 12
14 janus 1 10 -1
15 epicspartan098 1 6 -1
(retired) toptopple

--------- SECOND PHASE -----------

games will be played on "archipelago sea", win condition: autocrat (I've been wanting to use that map since I made it, but I cannot use it for everyone: it is very difficult to expand on it, and weaker players may end up locking themselves.)

The four remaining players will play in teams of 2v2, changing teammate and starting position at every game. highest individual score wins; in case of a tie, there will be more than one winner.

VS scheduled
king of nowhere (blue) WorldSavior (green) 1-0 notabilis (yellow) Sirver (red) sunday 22 january 18:30 UTC
WorldSavior (blue) notabilis (green) 1-0 Sirver (yellow) king of nowhere (red) tuesday 24 january 18:30 UTC
notabilis (blue) king of nowhere (yellow) 1-0 Sirver (green) WorldSavior (red) tuesday 31 january 18:30 UTC
WorldSavior king of nowhere notabilis Sirver
2 2 2 0

The second phase ends in a draw, and three people win the tournament

Edited: 2017-02-01, 00:28

Top Quote
king_of_nowhere
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2016-11-08, 17:32

---------------------------------------------------------------- RULES AND REGULATIONS ------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The rules and regulation can also be found in the other thread (https://wl.widelands.org/forum/topic/2438/?page=1#post-17944), but here they are copied for your convenience

SHORTENED VERSION (see the full version for details)

the tournament will be played with the swiss system.

the pairings will be declared at the beginning of every turn, so keep an eye on the forum. once the turns are declared, contact your opponent and set up your game. after the game, notify the result to me and send me the replay. you also have to notify if you want to play a different tribe.

there will be one week to play normally, and one week overtime. People are expected to play in the first week. Going overtime is penalized, except in a few specific cases, most notably if you start a game without finishing it. after two weeks, games not played will be assigned by forfait as a loss to both players, except for a few cases. Games started but still ongoing will be assigned by a judge, generally as draw unless there are good reasons not to. In no case a game will be allowed to continue after two weeks, as all the results will be needed to make the new turn.

I, king of nowhere, will be the arbiter for all disputations. However, in the interest of having a judge who is not a player and therefore potentially biased, einstein is the supreme arbiter. If you think my judgment was unfair, you can appeal to him, but you have then to accept his decision.

FULL VERSION

1) pairings and ranking.

• The tournament will be played with a swiss system pairing (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swiss-system_tournament). Basically, first turn is paired at random, who wins get one point, draws (can happen by agreement between the players, or by either players failing to win after a long time) are awarded half a point. For further turns, players are paired against other players with an equal score, so winning will progressively give you harder opponents, and losing will give you easier opponents. Nobody will be eliminated.

• There will be five turns, unless there are more than 20 participants, in which case the turns will be six. EDIT: full calendar available in the first post

• The final ranking will obviously be given according to the score. To sort players with equal score, the Bucholz system will be used: the Bucholz score of each player will be calculated as the sum of the scores of all his opponents; a higher score means one has played against stronger opponents. If two players also have the same Bucholz score, they will be ranked according to how their direct game ended, if they did play against each other. Otherwise, the tie will not be resolved. Exception to the whole Bucholz mechanism is for deciding the winner.

• If there is an odd number of participants, a forfait will be included, i.e. a virtual player who will always lose without playing. If one player retires, a forfeit will be put in his place. So a forfeit is a free win, but since the forfait will lose all games, it will sink your bucholz face-smile.png If there are two forfeits, they will be eliminated.

• After the last round, if one player leads the ranking alone, he will be the winner. If there are several ex-aequo winners, then they will play a second phase with round-robin rules (everyone plays against everyone else). If that also ends without a clear winner, then direct encounters will be used to break the tie, both from the first and second phase. If there is a tie there too, then the involved players will be declared winners ex-aequo.

• after the game, the players must send the replay of the game by email to me, at lainluigi86/at/tiscali.it. It is enough for one player to send it, but sending it twice to be safe cannot hurt.

• both players must also announce the tribe they intend to play in the next turn. if one does not announce the tribe, he will have to play with the tribe he used the previous time.

2) time schedule

• Ideally there should be one round per week, but up to two weeks is considered an acceptable delay. Never a turn will last more than two weeks. Therefore, when a round is started, every player is expected to play within one week. Taking more than one week to play will entail penalties, and after two weeks the game will be assigned by the arbitral decision as follows:

• If two players fail to play within one week, then they will be penalized by -1 point on their bucholz score. If they accumulate 3 such penalties, it will instead be commuted to 0.5 points in the score (so it could make you lose the tournament if you were tied up for the first place). If they still have not played after two weeks, the game will be assigned as lost to both of them. A few exceptions below:

-if it can be demonstrated that the delay was clearly the fault of one player (for example, if one player failed to be there at the appointed time of the game, or if one was only available for very narrow time windows while the other was much more available) then only the player at fault will be penalized. After two weeks, the game will be won by forfait by the player declared not at fault. EDIT: of course, if you failed to play and think it was not your fault - or not only your fault - you should send me some kind of proof that your opponent set an unreasonable schedule. Copy of mailed messages is the preferred method, of course.

• if two players did play for some time but had to interrupt the game and continue from a reload at a later date, they will not be penalized for taking more than one week. At the end of two weeks, if they produced at least 6 hours of in-game gameplay (taking into account game speed; they can get away with only playing 2 hours if they used 3x speed for example) and they sent the replays to me no later than by 18:00 of the day after the turn expires, and still there is no victor, then the game will be considered draw unless one player has a clear advantage. again, einstein will be the final arbiter for this judgment.

-If one player will notify in advance that he will have problems playing one week, he will not be penalized for going overtime. If he still can't play after the two-weeks deadline, he will be declared loser by forfait, but will not face any more penalties. If you know you cannot play, you can try to agree a draw with another player with a similar score: if you find one willing, I'll try to manipulate the turn so that you can be paired against each other and get a draw by agreement.

-Since I, king of nowhere, cannot be considered an impartial arbiter on this matter, since I will also be a player, einstein13, as an old member who will not play this time, will be the final arbiter for deciding which players should be penalized for tardiness and how to assign unfinished games; he has agreed to this position. Though I will make the first decision in any game where I am not directly involved, anyone can appeal to him if he believes my decision is unfair.

-If one consistently fails to answer communications (i.e. never answering, or never discussing game schedule; missing one message is acceptable) for more than one week, he's considered retired from the tournament.

Edited: 2016-11-22, 23:51

Top Quote
king_of_nowhere
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players

---------------------------------------------------------------- FURTHER DETAILS AND FAQ ------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• how exactly will the turns be drawn?

The algorithm is simple.

1) I will start with the player with the highest ranking (one at random if there is a tie), and pair him against the lower-bucholz player of higest score that he hasn't played yet (again, one at random if there is more than one).

2) remove those two players from the ranking

3) Go back to 1. Repeat untill all players have been paired up.

It is easier to explain with an example. Say there is the following ranking:

rank player score bucholz
1 Alice 4 12
2 Bob 3 13
3 Charlie 3 12
4 David 2.5 11
5 Eleanor 2.5 10

Alice is leading the tournament, and should ideally play against someone else at 4 points. But there are none; highest are at 3. Then Alice should play against Charlie, the one with the lowest bucholz of those at 3 points (bucholz penalties for tardiness will not be counted for the pairing). But! Alice already played against Charlie. So he will play against Bob instead. If he had already played also against Bob, he should have faced Eleanor. So Alice and Bob are against each other. The higher player without opponents now is Charlie. He has no one at 3 points to face, since Bob is already paired up against someone else; so Charlie will get one of those at 2.5. Specifically Eleanor, who has the lower bucholz. Next in line of those who need an opponent is David, who will go against someone at 2 points...

Why do it like that?

If I did the reverse, pairing those of higher bucholz against the players with the highest score, then winning against a harder opponent will give you even harder opponents, while winning against weaker opponents would give weaker opponents. This would create an imbalance, in that some players would always pick the stronger foes, while some would always pick those who come up from the lower ranking.True, the first will have a great bucholz, but it will be no good for winning since in case of tie at the first place there will be a second phase of the tournament. The way I'm doing it, instead, among players with equal score, those who faced the easier opponents are more likely to get harder ones, and viceversa. Seems fairer.

• What must I do if I still have not finished the game after the two-weeks deadline expired?

First, a premise. I think you will be sportsmanlike, and I sincerely hope that I will never have to arbitrate cases of players accusing each other of obstructive behavior. I believe that I will not, and that einstein, who has graciously agreed to be the final referee, despite many time-consuming issues in his real life, will never have to be callled upon. But as organizer, it is my duty and responsibility to plan for the worst and make rules for it.

That said, at the expiration of the deadline, if I got no news of how the game ended, I am going to call it a 0-0 (forfeit loss for both), assign a -1 bucholz penalty to both players, and move on without prrodding further. So, if you haven't played the game after two weeks, or if you played, but it became too late and you had to leave before there was a winner, and you don't want to be losing by forfait, you must notify me as soon as possible, preferrably the very evening when the deadline for playing expires. If you do it later, you will get a -1 bucholz penalty anyway, though you may avoid losing by forfait. When you contact me, you must state your case, and possibly offer proof of your claim. If you say "we we scheduled game for this time, I was there, opponent did not show up", and your opponent goes "no, I was there, it was him who did not show up", and no one witnessed anything, I will be forced to assign a loss to both. A good trick then could be to open Widelands, reduce it to window, enter in multiplayer lobby, open an internet browser in the background, open a news site, and take a screenshot. The widelands window will show your opponent missing from the lobby, and the news site, with the "latest news" feed, will offer proof of the time you took the screenshot (unlike your pc clock, which you may have manipulated beforehand). Again, I hope and confide that you all will be sportsmanlike enough that the party at fault willl admit "yes, it was my fault, I messed up the time zones, forfait victory should go to my opponent", but I have to make rules for the worst cases.

Let's see it with some examples:

• turn one starts 15 november. Alice and Bob are plaing together. They message each other and agree to play on 20 november at 20:00 UTC. Alice is there. Bob does not show up. Alice remains online until 21:00 and takes screenshots as evidence. The she hears Bob. Bob apologizes, they reschedule to play on 25 november. That's past the penalty line, which entails a -1 to bucholz. But since Alice can prove that it was Bob's fault they did not play before the 22 november deadline, then only Bob will be penalized by -1 bucholz.

• Alice and Bob agree to play on 20 november at 20:00 UTC. Alice is there. Bob does not show up. Alice gathers evidence, then leaves. She makes no further attempts to contact Bob. Bob send a message the day after, apologizing and suggesting five different possible evenings to reschedule the game. Alice turns down all of those; she only offer to play one day in the middle of the night, and Bob has to turn it down. So the 29 november comes, and Alice and Bob still have not played. Alice claims faault from Bob, but in a twist, Bob accuses Alice of having been uncooperative when rescheduling. Screenshots of mail communication show it to be so. This would make it both player's fault, and call for the 0-0. But, together with Alice's claim of exclusive Bob's fault, the evidence point at a darker picture: Alice has intentionally avoided rescheduling in the hope that she would be assigned an easy victory by forfait. The referee decides to punish Alice's unsportsmanlike behaviour by assinging the victory to Bob.

Notice that while the turn pairings will not be changed once published, the score can be changed afterwards. So, in the aforementioned example, Alice contacts me on 29 november night, and I assign the game as won by her. Then I make the pairing for the second turn. Bob is notified that I ruled against him, so he presents his own evidence. I reverse the judgment and give the victory to Bob, but the pairings for the second turn are not changed.

In case you did manage to play some, but did not finish the game, send me the replay. If you do not send the replay, it will count as if you had not played. If you send the replay and you played over 6 hours, it counts as if you have played, and i will assign a victor, or a draw, after seeing the replay. If you think my judgment was biased, you can appeal to einstein, but you can't appeal his judgment. In case you played less than 6 hours, it will count as a game not played, but send the replay anyway. If it shows that your opponent "had to leave" when he only had the headquarter left, and "by coincidence" he was never available when you were, it will strongly bolster your claim that your opponent intentionally failed to reschedule to deny you a victory.

• HINT: the referees have limited time. If you know that you had a losing game, don't ask me to judge, resign the game. If you were evenly matched, agree to a draw. Only ask a referee if you cannot agree. Maybe include explanations of why the game should be ruled in your favor, if it is not immediately noticeable in the replay (example: you lost ten times more soldiers than your opponent, but they were rookie soldiers against fully trained ones, so your opponent actually lost more resources).
Edited: 2017-10-02, 11:25

Top Quote
king_of_nowhere
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players

TABLE

(an excel version of this will be made available after the tournament)

Player using tribe against player with final score using tribe result progressive Buch progressive
AlleyJazz using tribe against player with final score using tribe result progressive Buch progressive
BAR Hasi50 3 ATL 0 0 3
BAR epicspartan098 1 EMP 1 1 4
BAR tando 2 BAR 0 1 6
BAR auktionadmin 2 EMP 1 2 8
BAR LAZA 3 EMP 0 2 11
auktionadmin using tribe against player with final score using tribe result progressive Buch progressive
EMP WorldSavior 4 ATL 0 0 4
EMP kristin 2 ATL 1 1 6
EMP Hasi50 3 ATL 0 1 9
EMP AlleyJazz 2 BAR 0 1 11
EMP forfait 0 N/A 1 2 11
epicspartan098 using tribe against player with final score using tribe result progressive Buch progressive
EMP gunchleoc 1 BAR 0 0 1
EMP alleyjazz 2 BAR 0 0 3
EMP forfait 0 N/A 1 1 3
EMP trimard 2 ATL 0 1 5
EMP Janus 1 BAR forfait 1 6
gunchleoc using tribe against player with final score using tribe result progressive Buch progressive
BAR epicspartan098 1 EMP 1 1 1
EMP sirver 4 EMP 0 1 5
ATL waylon531 3 EMP 0 1 8
ATL kristin 2 BAR 0 1 10
ATL trimard 2 ATL 0 1 12
Hasi50 using tribe against player with final score using tribe result progressive Buch progressive
ATL AlleyJazz 2 BAR 1 1 2
ATL WorldSavior 4 ATL 0 1 6
ATL auktionadmin 2 EMP 1 2 8
ATL notabilis 4 ATL 0 2 12
ATL kristin 2 BAR 1 3 14
janus using tribe against player with final score using tribe result progressive Buch progressive
BAR sirver 4 EMP 0 0 4
BAR LAZA 3 EMP 0 0 7
BAR kristin 2 BAR 0 0 9
BAR forfait 0 N/A 1 1 9
BAR epicspartan098 1 EMP forfait 1 10
king of nowhere using tribe against player with final score using tribe result progressive Buch progressive
ATL waylon531 3 EMP 1 1 3
ATL toptopple 1 ATL 1 2 4
ATL notabilis 4 ATL 1 3 8
ATL Sirver 4 EMP 1 4 12
ATL WorldSavior 4 ATL 0 4 16
kristin using tribe against player with final score using tribe result progressive Buch progressive
ATL toptopple 1 ATL 0 0 1
ATL auktionadmin 2 EMP 0 0 3
BAR janus 1 BAR 1 1 4
BAR gunchleoc 1 ATL 1 2 5
BAR Hasi50 3 ATL 0 2 8
LAZA using tribe against player with final score using tribe result progressive Buch progressive
BAR tando 2 BAR 0 0 2
EMP janus 1 BAR 1 1 3
RND trimard 2 ATL 1 2 5
BAR WorldSavior 4 ATL 0 2 9
EMP AlleyJazz 2 BAR 1 3 11
notabilis using tribe against player with final score using tribe result progressive Buch progressive
ATL trimard 2 ATL 1 1 2
ATL tando 2 BAR 1 2 4
ATL king of nowhere 4 ATL 0 2 8
ATL Hasi50 3 ATL 1 3 11
ATL waylon531 3 EMP 1 4 14
Sirver using tribe against player with final score using tribe result progressive Buch progressive
EMP janus 1 BAR 1 1 1
EMP gunchleoc 1 EMP 1 2 2
EMP WorldSavior 4 ATL 1 3 6
EMP king of nowhere 4 ATL 0 3 10
EMP tando 2 BAR 1 4 12
tando using tribe against player with final score using tribe result progressive Buch progressive
BAR LAZA 3 BAR 1 1 3
BAR notabilis 4 ATL 0 1 7
BAR AlleyJazz 2 BAR 1 2 9
BAR waylon531 3 EMP 0 2 12
BAR Sirver 4 EMP 0 2 16
toptopple using tribe against player with final score using tribe result progressive Buch progressive
ATL kristin 2 ATL 1 1 2
ATL king of nowhere 4 ATL 0 1 6
retired
retired
retired
trimard using tribe against player with final score using tribe result progressive Buch progressive
ATL notabilis 4 ATL 0 0 4
ATL waylon531 3 EMP 0 0 7
ATL LAZA 3 RND 0 0 10
ATL epicspartan098 1 EMP 1 1 11
ATL gunchleoc 1 ATL 1 2 12
waylon531 using tribe against player with final score using tribe result progressive Buch progressive
EMP king of nowhere 4 ATL 0 0 4
EMP trimard 2 ATL 1 1 6
EMP gunchleoc 1 ATL 1 2 7
EMP tando 2 BAR 1 3 10
EMP notabilis 4 ATL 0 3 14
WorldSavior using tribe against player with final score using tribe result progressive Buch progressive
ATL auktionadmin 2 EMP 1 1 2
ATL Hasi50 3 ATL 1 2 5
ATL sirver 4 EMP 0 2 9
ATL LAZA 3 BAR 1 3 12
ATL king of nowhere 4 ATL 1 4 16
Edited: 2017-01-22, 22:14

Top Quote
king_of_nowhere
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2016-11-13, 23:31

Tournament is open! first turn is posted in the first post of this thread, here https://wl.widelands.org/forum/topic/2750/?page=1#post-18594

Contact your opponent as soon as possible to set up a game. When you have agreed on a time, please post it on the forum, so that those who want to spectate may come. After you play, communicate the result and send me the replays.

For all players is specified the tribe they decided to play with. I made an exception for LAZA and tando, because LAZA hasn't declared the tribe he will play. So I choose to also let tando change his in case. Also, while I did not specify penalties for not declaring a tribe, I am giving a -1 bucholz to LAZA for that. Also, a couple things I forgot to speciify:

• starting condition is, of course, headquarters.

• for the calvisson map, which is a 4-player map, the players will still respectively play blue and red.

Top Quote
Kristin

Ranking
Likes to be here
Posted at: 2016-11-14, 20:41

Which tribe plays toptopple? Did you forget to indicate that, king_of_nowhere? Just contacted him to find a date to play.

Top Quote
king_of_nowhere
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2016-11-14, 21:02

Kristin wrote:

Which tribe plays toptopple? Did you forget to indicate that, king_of_nowhere? Just contacted him to find a date to play.

woops, my mistake. fixed now. I also updated LAZA, who answered.

Top Quote
SirVer

Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2016-11-14, 21:15

Janus and myself will play tomorrow, Tuesday 15 November, at 9.15pm CET. I will host and spectators are welcome - meet us in IRC or in-game in the lobby. We will play b19.

Top Quote
toptopple
Ranking
At home in WL-forums
Posted at: 2016-11-15, 07:17

How can I download a branch from BZR for the release 19-rc1? Thanks!

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2016-11-15, 07:37

bzr branch lp:widelands/build19

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote