Latest Posts

Topic: I want to organize a tournament for the new build

king_of_nowhere
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2016-11-08, 20:58

Now I announced also the maps and win conditions for all the turns, still in the official announcement forum, along with some small explanation for why I choose them. If enough people don't like my choices, they can still be changed, though.

Edited: 2016-11-08, 21:01

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2016-11-08, 21:49

Thanks for drawing up the rules face-smile.png

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote
einstein13
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2016-11-09, 08:04

Hmmm... I guess that those rules are most comprehensive I ever read here.

So small hint to players: just play and try to win face-smile.png . You don't have to win all the battles to win the championship, but if you manage to do that, you have great chance to be the best.

einstein13
calculations & maps packages: http://wuatek.no-ip.org/~rak/widelands/
backup website files: http://kartezjusz.ddns.net/upload/widelands/

Top Quote
AlleyJazz
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2016-11-09, 16:52

Hi everyone, I'm new to this forum, but not to widelands. I signed up especially for the tournament, so count me in! I already sent a pm to king_of_nowhere, but haven't got an answer yet. Anyways, I'm really looking forward to that!

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2016-11-09, 17:06

Excellent - welcome face-smile.png

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote
king_of_nowhere
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2016-11-09, 17:22

AlleyJazz wrote:

Hi everyone, I'm new to this forum, but not to widelands. I signed up especially for the tournament, so count me in! I already sent a pm to king_of_nowhere, but haven't got an answer yet. Anyways, I'm really looking forward to that!

You can see in the first post of the first page (https://wl.widelands.org/forum/topic/2438/?page=1#post-17944) that I keep updating with the names of the players who signed up. Yours is on the list.

In fact, everyone should check that his name is on the list, just for safety.

@ einstein: yes, I wrote very comprehensive rules, almost by accident. Even as I was writing them, I kept thinking "but what if this happens?" and I made new codes for it. I think that most of it won't be used, and I trust that everyone will be sportsmanlike, but it felt right to plan for the worst. I also had to be quite harsh with delays because with swiss pairing system I cannot make the new round until every single game of the previous round has ended, so even just a single game dragging would slow the whole tournament without a way to deal with it strictly and swiftly. In chess tournaments, where I learned about the swiss pairing, when the appointed time for the game comes, the arbiter starts your clock if you're not there. Even your opponent is not allowed to give you more time.

Oh, and winning all games will mathematicaly win the tournament. The pairing system will match players with equal score, so if there are two players who have won all the games, they will have to play against each other. If no one else joins, we are 15, after first turn there can be 8 player with full score (one will win by forfait), after the second there will be at most 4, after the third there can remain no more than 2, who will face each other at the fourth turn. Only if everyone loses some game there can be a tie for the first place.

Top Quote
AlleyJazz
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2016-11-09, 21:34

oh, thanks! I didn't check, but it's all good in this case :) Good job with all that planning!

And I'm really looking forward... I guess I totally suck, having never played against a human enemy... face-grin.png face-grin.png face-grin.png

Top Quote
trimard
Ranking
Widelands-Forum-Junkie
Posted at: 2016-11-10, 16:25

I think that most of it won't be used, and I trust that everyone will be sportsmanlike, but it felt right to plan for the worst. §

To set precises rules in the case where the opponent would be absent was very smart. It is a very likely scenario IMO.

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2016-11-11, 18:21

Build 19 just finished uploading, so we can use B19 for the tournament face-smile.png

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote
king_of_nowhere
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2016-11-11, 18:27

--------- OFFICIAL ANNOUNCEMENT -------------

*2 players: LAZA and janus, still haven't communicated me the tribe they will play in the first game*.

This is mandatory. You have to secretly declare the tribe you will play before the round pairing. While it is arguable if one tribe has the advantage against another, we want to avoid players trying to counterpick each other.

10 players: gunchleoc, kristin, hasi50, LAZA, tando, janus, notabillis, auktionadmin, waylon531, epicspartan098, have not communicated me their email. Doing so is not mandatory, but it helps to ensure you never miss a message. Remember, taking too long to play because you read your messages late will cause you to be penalized, up to losing the game by forfait.

Top Quote