Latest Posts

Topic: I want to organize a tournament for the new build

king_of_nowhere
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2016-11-06, 13:40

Ok, a few announcements:

First, I was contacted by a player, auktionadmin, who had problems with hosting or joining games. we tried, and we could not make a game that both could use. So, to avoid that kind of problem at the last minute, I suggest that everyone tries to host a multiplayer game with someone else, just to check if it works. I will try to spend time in the multiplayer lobby in the next evenings, so that people will have someone to test if their games can be joined, or if they can join one, but I cannot be there all the time.

Second thing, everyone who joined the tournament,please give me your email too. personal messages are easier to miss than an email.

third, I drafted the rules. I sent them to kristin for revision and I will post them afterwards, but I can announce that the tournament will have the swiss pairing system (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swiss-system_tournament). If you don't want to read all the relevant information, it means that everyone will play the same number of games, those who win more often will play with those who win more often, and the amount of won games will decide the winner, with tie-breaks resolved by how many games your opponents won.

Top Quote
toptopple
Ranking
At home in WL-forums
Posted at: 2016-11-06, 14:06

What is required for programs to join a game? Some version number, but which? I think you have to fix a relevant game version for the entire match or at least for a section. Also, somehow participants must be in the position to aquire the correct program version for the match. Perhaps more tricky than expected.

Top Quote
king_of_nowhere
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2016-11-06, 14:35

toptopple wrote:

What is required for programs to join a game? Some version number, but which? I think you have to fix a relevant game version for the entire match or at least for a section. Also, somehow participants must be in the position to aquire the correct program version for the match. Perhaps more tricky than expected.

The version is the rc-19. Half the purpose of the tournament is to test it.

Top Quote
toptopple
Ranking
At home in WL-forums
Posted at: 2016-11-06, 14:48

Good idea! I like quality control. face-wink.png

I wonder if it is feasible to supply compiled versions r19 for big standard Linux distros? Perhaps I don't understand this, but why is the "daily compile" available via PPA for any Linux and up & running, if compiles are such a problem?

Edited: 2016-11-06, 14:52

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2016-11-06, 19:08

Launchpad has a "View source package recipes" link, but don't see any corresponding "Create source package recipe" link. Seems like this can only be done by running a whole bunch of shell commands - will have to look into this when I'm back home.

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote
king_of_nowhere
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2016-11-07, 20:56

i posted the full rules. there is an update on the fist post

Top Quote
SirVer

Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2016-11-08, 06:16

The rules sound pretty good to me, seems to cover most cases. I have a few questions though:

• When will the first games start? On which map?
  • Which Widelands versions are acceptable?
  • Do I need to announce the tribe that I play in each game or can I choose arbitrary at the beginning of my match.

I will also be able to host games for other players. I try to be in IRC whenever I am online.

Top Quote
einstein13
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2016-11-08, 08:26

Maybe making any doodle or something similar will be a good idea?

Also I would like to see all the statistics after tournament! I remember short discussion with someone (Kristin?) about which tribe is the strongest one. Now we have a chance to find the answer face-smile.png

Edited: 2016-11-08, 08:26

einstein13
calculations & maps packages: http://wuatek.no-ip.org/~rak/widelands/
backup website files: http://kartezjusz.ddns.net/upload/widelands/

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2016-11-08, 09:40

Widelands version is in the rules:

The game version should be build 19 rc-1 or a newer development version

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote
king_of_nowhere
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2016-11-08, 19:25

NEW UPDATE

I made a new official thread for official announcements and official explanations and officially official officialities face-smile.png https://wl.widelands.org/forum/topic/2750/

FIRST TURN WILL BE PLAYED ON "CRATER" MAP, WIN CONDITION: AUTOCRAT. The pairing will be published on november 14. If you want to change the tribe you will play in light of this new information, you have time until the 13 to do so.

Once you schedule the game with your opponent, please advertise it on the forum. that way, people who want to spectate can, and there will be witnesses in the unfortunate case of a contentious.

@ sirver: I edited the rules to address your concerns; specifically, I forgot to mention that yes, one has to declare the tribe he intend to use, and can change his idea until the moment I publish the pairing for the new round.

einstein13 wrote:

Maybe making any doodle or something similar will be a good idea?

That would be great, if I had any idea on how to do it. Though, since games will be 1v1, scheduling the time can be done more easily by private messaging.

Also I would like to see all the statistics after tournament! I remember short discussion with someone (Kristin?) about which tribe is the strongest one. Now we have a chance to find the answer face-smile.png

You will see all the statistics, as I will publish them (need informations on how to make a table on this forum). I don't think they will be truthful on which tribe is stronger, though. For example, I favor atlanteans, and I am strong, so that would make it seem atlanteans are stronger. I am not as goood at using empire, cause I very rarely use it, so it may make empire look weaker by comparison. Also, it depens a lot on the map.

By the way, since people have to tell me which tribe they will be using, I also need to decide it in advance. I will PM einstein for it.

Top Quote