Latest Posts

Topic: Bad translation or no translation?

QCS

Topic Opener
Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2010-02-25, 22:48

I already asked Azagtoth along that question, but received no answer as of yet (no offense, it's my impatience face-wink.png ), and I figured I may better ask this question in the public.

One of my less serious "past-times" is Esperanto, both the language and the idea behind it. I'm still far from being content in the language, but I have the problem that I need practice in grammar, and also new vocabulary. So I thought about using the Widelands project to practice, and translate the game slowly (over the next year or so) to Esperanto. I've already started offline, fearing that my Esperanto is really really bad, but on the other hand, if nobody starts, it can't become better.

So my question to the public is: Would you rather have a bad translation in a language where it will be hard to find a Native speaker (only a few thousand worldwide), or no transation if there's not at least the basic quality of a long-year speaker of that language?

Votes please face-wink.png

CMake is evil.

Top Quote
raistware

Ranking
Likes to be here
Posted at: 2010-02-26, 08:41

Start it, now that project is on LaunchPad, it is easily that more people contribute to your translation. The only 'must' that I think that is required is that all translations that you were not 100% sure that is perfect, mark it to be reviewed. So if anyone with more expertise joins into translation, he could aprove or revoke they.

Top Quote
SirVer

Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2010-02-26, 09:41

I agree, start it!

Top Quote
QCS

Topic Opener
Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2010-02-26, 10:01

That's one of the things I was not able to find out yet - if translations are marked for review, are they regarded as translated, in the game point of view (so, they are visible, but flagged in Launchpad) or not yet released and not visible in the game. From your post, it looks like the first option.

I guess most of the translations I do will end up marked for review, at least all those ingame texts in the widelands template. It is easier to translate the campaign texts face-smile.png

CMake is evil.

Top Quote