Latest Posts

Topic: Temporary Workarounds Using conf Files

madtumat

Topic Opener
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2009-03-25, 02:31

In this string, share changes you have made to conf files to create new workers, new buildings, or temporary workarounds you use to make the game more playable for YOU. Someone else may find them helpful as well.

Please include the version you are using, as a work around in one version may not work in another. Also give a brief description of what the file does!

Top Quote
madtumat

Topic Opener
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2009-03-25, 02:36

I modified the deep coal mine to trade for coal since the computer player will not mine. This worked in early build 13. I have not tried this in the newer SVNs. The prefix "comp-" indicates the change is intended solely for the computer player. I found making CompTribes was more efficent for game play, though it takes longer for the game to load.

Compabarbarian Coal Trader

[global]

descname=_ Coal Trader

type=production

size=big

buildable=no # Use yes if you need to!

buildicon=deeper_coalmine_build.png

worker=miner,carrier # maybe just use a carrier

program=work

output=coal

output=raw_stone

stopable=yes

[inputs]

ration=6

snack=6

meal=6

beer=6

trunk=6

[work]

sleep=40000

consume=meal,snack,ration trunk:2

animate=working 16000

produce=coal:2

consume=beer:2

animate=working 10000

produce=coal:3

animate=working 5000

produce=raw_stone:2

[buildcost]

trunk=4

raw_stone=2

[idle]

pics=deeper_coalmine_i_??.png

hotspot=45 45

[working]

hotspot=45 45

[build]

hotspot=45 45

Edited: 2009-03-25, 02:37

Top Quote
madtumat

Topic Opener
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2009-03-25, 02:42

This is another conf file for a computer player. This seemed quite successful in build 13. This trades different goods for ironore.

NOTE: if your system starts crashing after adding one of these, an edit my solve the problem. If you cannot find one, just delete the new building and conf file. MAKE COPIES OF THE BUILDINGS YOU WANT TO USE FOR THE TRADE BUILDINGS. DO NOT USE THE ORIGINALS.

# Compabarbarian Iron Trader

[global]

descname=_ Coal Trader

type=production

size=big

buildable=no # try yes in build 13. Use the building in a configure file for SVNs.

buildicon=deeper_coalmine_build.png

worker=miner,carrier

program=work

output=coal

output=raw_stone

stopable=yes

[inputs]

ration=6

snack=6

meal=6

beer=6

trunk=6

[work]

sleep=40000

consume=meal,snack,ration trunk:2

animate=working 16000

produce=coal:2

consume=beer:2

animate=working 10000

produce=coal:3

animate=working 5000

produce=raw_stone:2

[buildcost]

trunk=4

raw_stone=2

[idle]

hotspot=45 45

[working]

hotspot=45 45

[build]

hotspot=45 45

Edited: 2009-03-25, 02:44

Top Quote
madtumat

Topic Opener
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2009-03-25, 02:52

This is the trick I used to enable the computer AI to build soldiers. First, create a ware called recruit. (I'll post that once i find it!) Then pick a building, or create one, to use a recruiting depot. Change the soldier conf file so that the build cost of a soldier is "recruit=1". For build 13, once the depot is built, the computer AI will build recruits, and it will convert them to soldiers as combat progresses. In SVN builds, the computer AI will build recruits as space opens in training buildings.

#Recruit Depot

[global]

descname=_ RecruitDepot

type=production

size=medium

help=Recruits New Soldiers

buildable=yes

buildicon=recruitdepot_build.png

worker=hunter

program=recruit_soldier

program=work

output=recruit

[inputs]

gold=8

axe=2

hunting_spear=2

meal=2

strongbeer=4

[work]

call=recruit_soldier

sleep=50000

return=skipped

[recruit_soldier]

consume=hunting_spear strongbeer

sleep=35000

consume=gold:3 strongbeer axe meal

sleep=35000

worker=hunt

sleep=75000

produce=recruit

[buildcost]

blackwood=3

grout=3

raw_stone=2

[idle]

pics=recruitdepot_i_??.png

hotspot=46 52

[build]

pics=recruitdepot_b_??.png

hotspot=46 52

One thing I like when I use this for my player is being able to control the production of soldiers. I do not have to rely on the computer to do it for me.

Sorry about the extra length. The system was combing all lines together will line returns.

# Recruit

[global]

descname=_recruit

help=Defend and Conquer!

menu_pic=soldier_menu.png

[idle]

pics=idle_??.png

hotspot=5 13

Top Quote
sigra

Ranking
At home in WL-forums
Posted at: 2009-03-25, 09:19

The program [recruit_soldier] has 2 consume statements. This will not work, because it may succeed with the first one and then fail with the second one if it can not be fulfilled. Then the program has failed but consumed a hunting_spear and a strongbeer.

In short, a consume command may not come before a command that can fail.

Edited: 2009-03-25, 09:20

Top Quote
madtumat

Topic Opener
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2009-03-25, 23:28

It has worked quite well. Yes, sometimes materials are consumed without creating a recruit. Not all who go to a recruiting center end up being recruits! I do not know about the most recent SVNs, but this has worked in my games. However, this might be something to alter just the same!

I do not know how many of the commands work or which take precedence, so some of my conf codes don't work, at least not for the computer player. I just try something new. Each failure is a learning experience.

Top Quote
Magor

Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2009-03-30, 10:50

Just to get an understanding of whats going on inside the engine: When the first consume worked and the second cannot be fulfilled, will the engine wait or abort/restart? If the engine waits, everything is fine, it just takes longer to get the recruit, if it fails, well, that woul be bad, and if it restarts, it might end up with eating up all items of the first consume statement without generating anything.

So: what does the engine do?

Yours, Magor

Top Quote
sigra

Ranking
At home in WL-forums
Posted at: 2009-03-30, 11:17

If there are several consume statements in a productionsite program, it may eat the first set of wares without producing anything. Therefore a productionsite program should only have 1 consume statement. I fixed the Atlantean labyrinth in revision 3714. If there are any other productionsite programs with multiple consume statements they should probably be reported as bugs.

Top Quote
madtumat

Topic Opener
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2009-04-05, 01:09

I did edit the recruit depot so it has only one consume statement. This does make game play a bit quicker.

Top Quote
Astuur
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2009-04-05, 11:39

sigra wrote: If there are any other productionsite programs with multiple consume statements they should probably be reported as bugs.

Have not found any left.

Being no programmer, I apologize for all my suggestions that imply undue workload and for other misjudgements due to lack of expertise or relevant skills.
I am on Win32, have no means to compile, and rely on prefabricated distributions (Thanks to Tino).

Top Quote