Latest Posts

Topic: Trees:

Spiceskull

Topic Opener
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2010-02-01, 09:24

Hi,

I'd really appreciate a brief explanation of the game mechanics of trees. I was frustrated with the "over-run" feature, whereby I was constantly fighting an ever-increasing map of trees. I worked out (by trial and error) how the terrain affinity is configured, and have a much "happier" map now.

What I would now like to know is how the trees are seeded, and how the time intervals work when they transform from seed to tiny to small to medium and on to full trees. I guess the two key areas are:

Full tree config:

[program] animate=idle 1455000 transform=deadtree3 23 seed=tree7_t 120

Other tree config:

[program] animate=small 60000 remove=24 grow=tree7_m

How do the animate steps work, the transform, remove, grow and seed steps work? I have my lumberjacks and foresters working in "synch" meaning that trees are felled at the same rate as they are planted. However, it is the timing between planting and having a tree ready for felling that has me confused. I want to set my timings so that the rate of felling matches the rate of growth. I have tried various hacks, but all I seem to end up with is either a load of dead trees or a patch of bare land.

Thanks, Adam.

Top Quote
QCS

Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2010-02-01, 09:57

I can't answer your question directly, but I have a little remark on your goal:

I want to set my timings so that the rate of felling matches the rate of growth.

You can try that, but I expect you to fail, because every tribe has different rates of forester and lumberjack work. So if you make your map so that your Barbarian tribe thrives, your Atlanteans will probably be overgrown soon by trees with the same setup of lumberjacks and foresters.

Edited: 2010-02-01, 09:58

CMake is evil.

Top Quote
sigra

Ranking
At home in WL-forums
Posted at: 2010-02-01, 22:24

ImmovableProgramReference

Top Quote
Spiceskull

Topic Opener
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2010-02-02, 15:33

Thanks guys - I'll digest all of that reference material.

As for imbalance ... I'll make adjustments to my "opponent" tribes so that they don't lose out by any changes I make to the world files.

Top Quote