Latest Posts

Topic: Better name for Milking Tongs

Hasi50
Topic Opener
Version: 1.2 (selfcompiled master etc)
Ranking
Widelands-Forum-Junkie
Posted at: 2016-04-08, 16:50

I always was wondering what kind of tool a "Milking Tong" might be and now (finally) found it is used by the Atlanters to fetch the silk from the Spidelers.

So I propose to introduce a new name for that tool:
* Silk spindle - This tool is used to coil up the silk from the spiders
* Silk coil

We can imagin how this could look like at
http://www.wdr.de/tv/kopfball/sendungsbeitraege/2010/1212/spinnenseide.jsp
for example.

Perhaps we should invent the Silk coiling device?
Native english speakers, please step forward.

In German this might become:
* (Spinnen)-Seidenwickler
* (Spinnen)-Seidenspindel

Edited: 2016-04-08, 17:02

Here are the widelands where people may dwell, walking around care that evrythings well.

Top Quote
Hasi50
Topic Opener
Ranking
Widelands-Forum-Junkie
Posted at: 2016-04-08, 17:03

When we have agreed on the new name we will need a new picture, too.

Edited: 2016-04-08, 17:03

Here are the widelands where people may dwell, walking around care that evrythings well.

Top Quote
DragonAtma
Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2016-04-08, 21:36

Hmm... I tried looking for real life comparisons, but I don't think we have any.

"Due to the difficulties in extracting and processing substantial amounts of spider silk, the largest known piece of cloth made of spider silk is an 11-by-4-foot (3.4 by 1.2 m) textile with a golden tint made in Madagascar in 2009. Eighty-two people worked for four years to collect over one million golden orb spiders and extract silk from them." -- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spider_silk#Human_uses

If we're going with an actual silk-collecting device, I recommend "Silk collector" or "Silkspinner". If we're going with a silk coiling device, then I recommend "Silk rods" or "Silk holder".

As for graphics, we'd have to look for tools that don't match 100%. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Silk_raw_01a.jpg is indeed reels of silk -- but standard silk, not spider silk. If we're going with an actual silk collector, the current graphic is fine (at least in my opinion; I never tried collecting spidersilk!). But if you prefer a name like "Silk rods", then I'd draw silk rods (without the silk).

My suggestion? Go with the name "Silk collecter", use the current icon (or something similar) for the tools, and use a silk rod (with silk around it, of course XD) for the unit of actual spidersilk.

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2016-04-09, 09:51

Renaming units at this stage might complicate the code - I will want to match the internal unit name to its display name, and there might be compatibility issues. I should have a look at that code again though, it might not be a problem. I will have to look into it.

I think both spider silk and gold thread would look nice if they were on little spindles face-smile.png

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote
Hasi50
Topic Opener
Ranking
Widelands-Forum-Junkie
Posted at: 2016-04-09, 10:00

Gun: this is something for the time after RC 19, unless you feel like this is a really tiny task

Edited: 2016-04-09, 10:02

Top Quote
kaputtnik
Version: current master
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2016-04-09, 11:36

I am fine with "Milking tongs" for now.

Changing this should be targeted to build 20. My opinion.

Nice video face-smile.png

Fight simulator for Widelands:
https://wide-fighter.netlify.app/

Top Quote
SirVer

Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2016-04-09, 18:37

I love "Mliking tongs"!! Nasenbaer came up with that and the thought of some person sitting with tiny tongs mliking spiders is hilarious to me. Granted, it is not very intuitive...

Top Quote