Latest Posts

Topic: Do Atlantean fishbreeders need fish?

pixnaps

Topic Opener
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2010-01-29, 17:19

I noticed a reported bug on sourceforge complaining that their fishbreeder was reportedly not working because "out of fish". I've noticed this a couple of times too. The bug submitter interpreted this as meaning that the fishbreeder was removing fish from the sea instead of adding to them. I'd assumed it just meant that the fishbreeder needed to find an existing fish or two before he could "breed" more of them. Can anyone confirm?

(Also, this seems to be one message that tends not to repeat with time. Does that mean that absences of fish may be merely temporary? Perhaps more fishes swim in from a neighbouring patch of ocean, so the fishbreeder can resume his job...?)

P.S. I've never noticed the Fisher giving an 'out of fish' message. Is this possible? Or does he just stop working without giving any message, like lumberjacks without trees? (Speaking of which, why don't they give 'out of tree' messages?)

Top Quote
QCS

Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2010-01-29, 17:42

Fishbreeder does not need fish, it generates fish in a spot where fish is allowed (see map definition). If a fisherman doesn't find fish, he behaves just like lumberjacks without tree - no messages, just efficiency silently going down to zero.

From logic fishbreeder should never be "out of fish", but perhaps he wants to say that he doesn't find a spot where to put fish because every spot is full of resources? That would also explain why it seems temporary (fisherman will take fish out of the ressources field). The "out of fish" message may then only be a "similar message" like the lumberjack, who is really out of trees if he fails to find a spot with ressources (trees) for him, so it might just need a new/updated message.

CMake is evil.

Top Quote
Spiceskull

Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2010-02-06, 15:01

I just started getting the Fishbreeder out of fish message. I'll try clearing all the trees from the coastline, but I don't see how that would solve the problem - all my coastlines have "beach" terrain, and the tree afinity for beach has been set to 0.

Hmmm.

Top Quote
QCS

Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2010-02-06, 20:10

Apparently my thoughts were not clearly enough. No, I can't imagine clearing the trees from the coastline should help your fish breeders either face-grin.png

What I thought was:

The fishbreeder is, technically, the same like a forester. Both add resources to places where those resources are allowed. Lumberjacks are, technically, the same like fishermen. Both take resources from places where those resources are available.

Now, the fishbreeder says "out of fish" and stops working. Thinking along the similarities, lumberjacks and fishermen don't say "out of fish" or "out of tree", but stop working silently. Interesting thing would now be, if foresters say "out of tree" when they can't find a spot to plant a new tree. If that's the case, you have a "visible" guidance to the problem - everything full of trees and "out of tree" message leads to the reason I supposed for the "out of fish" message. In that case it is just a "bad translation" and should be named "out of empty spots for fish" and "out of empty spots for tree".

CMake is evil.

Top Quote
Spiceskull

Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2010-02-08, 10:12

Okay - whilst the grammar was not perfect, that explanation certainly was. The water is full of fish, there is nowhere else for the fishbreeder to work ... I don't think that a message is needed.

After all, messages should only be used when something is needed, not when it is not needed ...

Adam.

Top Quote