Latest Posts

Topic: widelands and CPU usage

hessenfarmer
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2016-01-17, 17:39

ok I tested it with a clean install of bzr 7709 and a map provided with this package again. And I can confirm the behaviour when only a few messages are displayed that cpu usage increases dramatically. And yes displaying general stats has an dramtic effect on game speed as well. But from my perspective I could more easily live with stats slowing down the game as I check them only from time to time. But in a big map with different opponents it is very hard to keep track what is going on without the messages window. I'll check this forum constantly so let me know what to do especially whether to open a bug on launchpad.

Top Quote
kaputtnik
Version: current master
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2016-01-17, 17:46

About the translations: There has been no update from transifex to widelands since end of december. Please wait until end january, i think the translations will then be updated. Playing current developer versions may have such things face-smile.png

Edit: max -> may

Edited: 2016-01-17, 18:04

Fight simulator for Widelands:
https://wide-fighter.netlify.app/

Top Quote
hessenfarmer
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2016-01-17, 17:58

no worries about the translations I just wanted to assure myself that this is normal for this build. and/or let everybody know that there is some minor issue in the german version.

Top Quote
kaputtnik
Version: current master
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2016-01-19, 08:25

I created a bug report regarding high CPU usage when opening messages window.

Fight simulator for Widelands:
https://wide-fighter.netlify.app/

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2016-01-20, 10:05

Thanks for the bug report!

The issue with the building names is known - this is something that I still need to fix.

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote
staustelladam

Ranking
Likes to be here
Posted at: 2016-03-01, 19:42

I'm still playing with trunk 7670 as we wait for build 19 to come along ... and I know it will be old news to most but the speed boosts are an improvement on earlier versions. I don't pretend to understand the underlying code for indexing stuff, but I remember a conversation that led to a massive improvement by doing it a different way. However, in playing a huge map I have just discovered something ...

Previously the game crawled to a halt after <10 hours, especially if the map was very busy. With this current map I am playing solo, with no enemies, and even 40+ hours in, with most of the map covered and visible, I am able to run at 4x for most of the time ... until I build training camps, arenas and colosseums. As soon as one of those hits the map everything grinds to a treacle pace ... and it can take up to 60 minutes before units start moving at normal speed. Remove/destroy those buildings and everything speeds up again ...

Now, if I were to hazard a guess I would believe that as soon as one is built then a training programme is planned for every single soldier, and routes to and from training are indexed until they change when a closer training site is built. If you have a great number of soldiers then this method will really slow the game down until you have many training sites.

This is only an observation, but as I haven't seen it mentioned before then it is something to consider when looking at future speed boosts.

A.

Top Quote
Tibor

Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2016-03-01, 20:28

My very unreliable observation is that when there is an attack taking place, the game slows down. But I will not argue...

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2016-03-02, 08:52

My first guess is that once you start building trainingsites, you can have a lot of soldier swapping going on, which means more economy requests? With attacks, it is probably the pathfinder that needs the CPU.

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote