Latest Posts

Topic: wares distribution (iron ore and coal)

Astuur
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2009-03-24, 10:13

I was playing a large map (Riverlands). It is map that enforces long transportation, as the landmass is divided by rivers that allow crossing only at some few places. I had smelting works all over the map on almost every island with mountains.

When I explored a new island I built a warehouse, 2 smelting works, one iron-ore and one coal mine. I expected the system to use the new facilities at hand and produce iron and then carry the iron away to ironworks, axe factories, warmill etc. -- but it did not. Instead the mining resources were carried straight from the mines, not even using my new warehouse, and seemingly evenly distributed to every smelter on the map (all idle then).

Is this as designed? I dont think it is an effective system. It generates a lot of needless traffic. I would rather see the system using local facilities first, and only distribute things when their capacity is exhausted.

Being no programmer, I apologize for all my suggestions that imply undue workload and for other misjudgements due to lack of expertise or relevant skills.
I am on Win32, have no means to compile, and rely on prefabricated distributions (Thanks to Tino).

Top Quote
SirVer

Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2009-03-24, 10:42

It is currently programmed as such. There is much room for improvement of the routing/distribution algorithms. Feel free to take a look at the source.

Cheers, !SirVer

Top Quote
Astuur
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2009-03-24, 14:03

I am afraid I can look at the source until hell frezes over, and it wont help much. Not everybody who would like to see WL progress, has the (programming) skills to do so himself - alas.

Even if some capable programmer would invest his time to implement such a new code, I'd still be wondering whether what I suggested is the smartest possible solution. Things like this directly influence a player's tactics and make a lot of difference.

Being no programmer, I apologize for all my suggestions that imply undue workload and for other misjudgements due to lack of expertise or relevant skills.
I am on Win32, have no means to compile, and rely on prefabricated distributions (Thanks to Tino).

Top Quote
madtumat

Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2009-03-24, 16:53

Build a separate economy on each island for awhile. Then reconnect them all. I have had to do this when I play large maps, but it seems to work. I like large maps, so I do this quite a bit when I play. I have many repeats of buildings, but this is just the way things develop. The downside is you can be attacked at a weak point and it will take a long time for new soldiers to arrive if you try this playing a human.

Top Quote
Astuur
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2009-03-25, 07:22

madtumat wrote: Build a separate economy on each island for awhile.

Yes, I have already tried that, and it works. However, what you cannot do with this workaround, is dedicate certain regions to certain tasks (like "weaponproduction" or "food production"). Instead such isolated regions must always be autonomous for all aspects of the economy. Also I do not clearly understand what happens when you finally reconnect everything. there is some sort of distribution among wareshouses, but it seems to affect only some wares (corn, meat)

Top Quote
madtumat

Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2009-03-25, 22:32

A long term solution is to allow the player to set how many of each ware is to be stored in each warehouse. A warehouse array could link each ware type with a longinteger for this. The buttons would take some work, but modifying the current economy template should work.

Top Quote
Mars

Ranking
Likes to be here
Posted at: 2009-03-28, 20:27

I don't know whether this is the right place, but I think it would be a good idea to implement such a button.

Then it would be possible to tell your economy to produce e.g. axes even if you have enough soldiers at the moment.

It's great that sawmills or stonemason just produce on request but for military buildings that don't work well in my opinion. And this button could make request for weapons as well.

Top Quote
sigra

Ranking
At home in WL-forums
Posted at: 2009-03-28, 22:10

Mars wrote: Then it would be possible to tell your economy to produce e.g. axes even if you have enough soldiers at the moment.

This is already implemented (revision 3543).

Top Quote
Astuur
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2009-04-05, 13:50

madtumat wrote: A long term solution is to allow the player to set how many of each ware is to be stored in each warehouse. A warehouse array could link each ware type with a longinteger for this. The buttons would take some work, but modifying the current economy template should work.

I agree that this would be very welcome, but I dont think it's a solution to exactly the problem i was describing. The policy would still be "distribute evenly" whereas I wanted a penalty for longer ways to make the system route things in the neighborhood. Only then does it pay that you put more thought to the question what to built where. This would dramatically change the game's behavior and (IMO) make it a lot more interesting to play.

Top Quote