kaputtnik
Topic Opener
Version: current master
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2015-10-27, 14:56

GunChleoc wrote:

I am wondering if we should allow small buildings on this terrain

Currently there is only the possibility to define a terrain as arable. The size of buildings depends then only onto the surface (f.e. height of adjacent terrains). Mountainous terrains are a bit different.

• this all depends on which types of map we want to design with it. E.g. there could be a long stretch of such terrain to overcome by building sentries in order to reach an island on the other end. If we don't allow small buildings, one would maybe need to build a big military site on shore in order to reach the other end.

One could make small islands to overcome a long distance. If we allow small buildings such buildings should be like a stilt house i think.

Fight simulator for Widelands:
https://wide-fighter.netlify.app/

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2015-10-27, 17:09

Let's aim for flags and roads only at this time. Having special building types just for this terrain can always be thought about later.

Edited: 2015-10-27, 17:10

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote
king_of_nowhere
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2015-10-27, 22:33

kaputtnik wrote:

One could make small islands to overcome a long distance. If we allow small buildings such buildings should be like a stilt house i think.

Graphically, this could be rendered with a common base of stilts for all buildings, over which the regular building could be built. It would be appropriate if a building on stilts was also more expensive, which could be coded as the stilts being a separate building, with the characteristic that you can build other buildings on top of it. That way, you could actually build venice. Although I still think it would be appropriate if workers could not walk on it outside of bridges.

But yes, that would require a lot of new coding. Including a coding of AI to teach it how to deal with the new terrain.

As for bridges on regular water, possibly such that ships could pass underneath, it should be something enabled from the editor, like port spaces.

Edited: 2015-10-28, 07:10

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2015-10-28, 09:19

We would still need separate stilts graphics for each building, because they have different shapes. We wouldn't want random stilts sticking up through the water around the building.

Setting special spaces on the map like port spaces would be more feasible, then we could have a special building type like for ports.

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote
kaputtnik
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2016-01-12, 00:34

A first attempt to summer shallow water, i call it "seagrass" or "water lily":

water_lily.png

Animation (currently wrong direction): animation

I don't know if such terrains should be walkable. The main thing would be to have a barrier for ships. But if we define this as unwalkable, no fish could be placed regularly (one can, if he places first water, place fish and afterwards turn water into the new type of terrain).

For me there is no hurry to get these terrains into the game.

Edited: 2016-01-12, 09:43

Top Quote
wl-zocker

Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2016-01-12, 14:33

I like the terrain. It fits good to the surrounding terrains.

I think the terrain should be unwalkable because water lilies are not that stable, I imagine. Furthermore, does walkable imply that fields can be planted on that terrain? That would look really odd.

I think the correct way of adressing the fish problem is to redefine where fish can be set. Since the seagrass/water lily acts similar to swamp, it is difficult to find a general rule. Maybe it's easier to define the allowed resources for each terrain individually.

(one can, if he places first water, place fish and afterwards turn water into the new type of terrain)

I think this should not be possible any more with the latest trunk.

"Only few people know how much one has to know in order to know how little one knows." - Werner Heisenberg

Top Quote
kaputtnik
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2016-01-12, 16:48

wl-zocker wrote:

I like the terrain. It fits good to the surrounding terrains.

Thanks face-smile.png

I think the terrain should be unwalkable because water lilies are not that stable, I imagine.

My private idea is to have footbridges as roads over this kind of terrains. Example here Having footbridges the underground does not matter, footbridges would automatically be used over shallow water. But i think footbridges should be targeted to build 20. If we want this type of terrains in build 19, we have to live with

• not walkable
  • no fish

In comparison with swamp the water like terrains fits surely better when placed somewhere in the middle of water to have a blocker for ships. But as said, if the "impassable water" gets into the game in build 20 (with possibility to place fish and having foot bridges), i am fine with that.

Furthermore, does walkable imply that fields can be planted on that terrain? That would look really odd.

Hm, i don't know exatly, but fields do also grow on water under some circumstances.

I think the correct way of adressing the fish problem is to redefine where fish can be set. Since the seagrass/water lily acts similar to swamp, it is difficult to find a general rule. Maybe it's easier to define the allowed resources for each terrain individually.

See this bug

Top Quote
king_of_nowhere
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2016-01-12, 18:09

I also like the terrain, and I say to postpone it to build 20. better to wait for something well done than to rush a poor job. Making footbridges would also require more coding to explain the program that roads on different terrains have different graphics, something that could be non trivial. I would like for the footbridges to have a cost and require a builder to make, but that would be even more complicated.

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2016-01-13, 14:20

I had started working on the code but postponed the project to continue on what we need to get Build 19 done. The consensus so far was to call it "Shallow Water" or "Shallows", and as kaputtnik said with roads and fish available, but not buildings. The duck should also be able to swim on this terrain, but there should be no ships.

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote