Latest Posts

Topic: French Widelands website

kaputtnik
Version: current master
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2016-01-06, 13:16

SirVer wrote:

I think a link on the landing page is not appropriate but I think it is time we add a links or "endorsment" section somewhere prominent on the page - maybe a new top level menu "Links" or a sidebar with "Links" could be added.

I thought about this before and there are other pages that deserve some endorsment, for example Einsteins and King_of_nowhere's 20 strategy thome, and several tutorial pages and some video series on Widelands.

What do others think?

A "Links" section could be added on the right of "Development" in the top menu. That wouldn't be a problem face-smile.png

The main problem of linking to maybe some old stuff wouldn't be solved. F.e. the link you gave to Stephen Frasiers blog is about 5 years old. So from time to time all the links has to be checked for actuality (and validity). Who will do this? Changing this links would also need to change the code, because these links are hard coded.

We have a Links page in our wiki. We could put all the links to external pages/descriptions in there and link this page from Main menu -> The Game (or through an additional entry in the main menu itself). A Wikipage could be edited by every registered user, so everyone could add/modify/remove links in there. A Wikipage could also be ordered with headers.

May a solution in between would be preferable: Adding a "Links" entry in the main menu with links to specific headers of a Wikipage. F.e. "Links -> Fansites" would directly link to the Wikipage "LinksPage -> Header Fansites".

Fight simulator for Widelands:
https://wide-fighter.netlify.app/

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2016-01-06, 13:31

kaputtnik wrote:

May a solution in between would be preferable: Adding a "Links" entry in the main menu with links to specific headers of a Wikipage. F.e. "Links -> Fansites" would directly link to the Wikipage "LinksPage -> Header Fansites".

+1

Vassili, please don't feel bad when we disagree with you - disagreement is good. Without disagreement, there would be no discussion, and only through discussion can we find the best solution face-smile.png

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote
einstein13
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2016-01-06, 14:16

Making a wikipage with all known links is very good. Some of the links are quite old and some will disapear in time, so we have to be able to change that face-smile.png

einstein13
calculations & maps packages: http://wuatek.no-ip.org/~rak/widelands/
backup website files: http://kartezjusz.ddns.net/upload/widelands/

Top Quote
Jaypad
Topic Opener
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2016-01-06, 18:24

I didn't think that a request for a link will cause such a debate. I think that you forgot that we just want to enlarge the community with french users.

SirVer
I am not gonna lie, I would prefer that you invest yourself into our existing stack, learn the technology and improve it for the benefit of the whole community instead of doing widelands.fr.

The main problem is that I don't have skills for that. I don't know how to make Django development, and I don't have enough time to learn it. I can do websites and cool stuff with my basic PHP / MySQL knowledge, but that's all.

SirVer
Widelands is an old project - 13 years and counting. How committed are you to widelands.fr? Will it be around in 4 years, in 10 years?

It's difficult to predict future, but I think that it will depends of the size of the french community. If people come, our motivation to stay will be better.

What I understand of this discussion is that you prefer keep all the stuff related to widelands here to keep control on it. I understand it. But this website can't be easily translated, I think the best option is to create our own.
Top Quote
kaputtnik
Version: current master
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2016-01-06, 19:08

Jaypad wrote:

I didn't think that a request for a link will cause such a debate. I think that you forgot that we just want to enlarge the community with french users.

We are just discussing how your request for a link could be implemented in the best way. If you have a better idea where and how to place a link to widelands.fr on widelands.org, feel free to make a suggestion face-smile.png

If you are searching for the original widelands font, look here: http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~widelands-dev/widelands/trunk/files/head:/i18n/fonts/Widelands/

Fight simulator for Widelands:
https://wide-fighter.netlify.app/

Top Quote
Vassili
Ranking
At home in WL-forums
Posted at: 2016-01-06, 19:13

kaputtnik wrote:

We are just discussing how your request for a link could be implemented in the best way. If you have a better idea where and how to place a link to widelands.fr on widelands.org, feel free to make a suggestion face-smile.png

I have write this:"Are you saying you refuse to link our project to wl.widelands.org mainpage?"

SirVer answerred negative, and you are trolling... cool

Thanks for the font link, i effectly had not this one.

Edited: 2016-01-06, 19:15

Top Quote
Jaypad
Topic Opener
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2016-01-06, 19:17

Thanks for the link.

kaputtnik
If you have a better idea where and how to place a link to widelands.fr on widelands.org, feel free to make a suggestion face-smile.png

Can we imagine a box on the right side like the latest posts, with links to widelands related stuff?
Top Quote
einstein13
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2016-01-06, 22:16

box with the links? Good idea if there is good way to choose which link should be there. Your site - ok, but then why not (for example) my page?

First thing I would do in your situation is to add the link to your signature. Second thing is to be live in the forum here. There is number of players who read only what is going on. Last thing is to add your Widelands site to the Wiki in some pages. Also it is possible to add small box, like you suggest, but only for some time. Just to notify current players that there is new Widelands.fr page. I would disagree for permament link - not every player is French.

If you know other communities connected to the strategic games, you can write there to propagate Widelands and your site.

I like the idea of adding some fanpages links to Wiki and to add this wiki site to the menu tab. It can propagate other fanpages too. More cool stuff face-smile.png

einstein13
calculations & maps packages: http://wuatek.no-ip.org/~rak/widelands/
backup website files: http://kartezjusz.ddns.net/upload/widelands/

Top Quote
Jaypad
Topic Opener
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2016-01-07, 09:36
einstein
box with the links? Good idea if there is good way to choose which link should be there. Your site - ok, but then why not (for example) my page?

Obviously, this box should contain other links to fan pages.

The box may retrieve automatically the list from the wiki page where all links are listed. If there are too many links to fit in the box (for example more than 10), they might be sorted by update date, and the others could be accessible via a "view all links" link to the complete list.
Top Quote
SirVer

Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2016-01-07, 10:23

SirVer answerred negative, and you are trolling... cool

Vassili, this community has very high ethical standards. There is a lot of respect for and friendliness between each other here, because we all value the interest people have in our common project Widelands. And we want for everybody to enjoy the free time they invest in Widelands. We like it that way and work hard to keep it like that. That also means that there is no trolling in our community, because we do not enjoy that. Please keep that in mind when reading and writing answers here, because being told to be a lier or being a troll is not much fun for most people.

The box may retrieve automatically the list from the wiki page where all links are listed. If there are too many links to fit in the box (for example more than 10), they might be sorted by update date, and the others could be accessible via a "view all links" link to the complete list.

That would be an ideal solution, but requires a lot of logic to get right. Especially 'update date' is hard to get right from an external site. And extracting the right links out of the markdown of the wiki is finicky. I think a manually curated link list is easier, technically. Of course the obvious question is then who decides which links to include?

Top Quote