Latest Posts

Topic: storage houses functionality

Astuur
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2009-03-07, 21:19

Currently the game is not very flexible as to where wares are sent to for storage. (the nearest storage house). This sacrifices a good bit of fun and planning when playing the game.

Let me give an example: Suppose you have a charcoal corner somewhere, where you cut trunks and make coal. You know that you are going to explore a mountain range somewhere else on the map. Would you not wish for an option to direct the coal to a storage house close to where your smelters will be built? It would probably avoid a traffic jam, if you could send the coal in the slow sequence it is produced, compared to what happens when a sudden demand of 5 smelters jumps in.

The best way I can imagine would be to determine the storage house from the production site's window. But that may be complicated. As a first step, a way to move certain wares out of one storage house into another, would already help a lot.

Being no programmer, I apologize for all my suggestions that imply undue workload and for other misjudgements due to lack of expertise or relevant skills.
I am on Win32, have no means to compile, and rely on prefabricated distributions (Thanks to Tino).

Top Quote
Seraphina

Ranking
Just found this site
Posted at: 2009-03-08, 06:24

I agree with you. It would be a lot more convenient to be able to control the final destination of goods as well. Then you can either use it for other production purposes or to store it in any selected warehouse.

Top Quote
madtumat

Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2009-03-10, 07:22

Copy some building and maybe change the image somewhat. Then change the conf file to make it into a store house for your specific resource. The site would need to be a production building, limiting storage to only 255, but this might help you achieve your goal. The building absorbs coal that is not needed immediately, and then releases it as needed. Also, you can increase the coal storage in each of the smelters or weapon factory or whatever so more coal is moved directly to the building. However, this WILL create temporary traffic jams if your warehouses are already full of the resource. This means you need to plan well in advance where you want your store houses and build them before the other buildings.

If you want something, try playing with the conf files! With a little practice, you will find you can create plenty of custom items you want in your personal copy of the game. Keep in mind if you are playing online, you will have to either use the standard game or share your customized game with everyone in the multiplayer game.

One thing I have been trying is to have the lumberjacks cut and store trunks until they are needed elsewhere. Likewise, hardeners and coalburners store more wood to keep the trunks off the road for the computer player. I still have much experimenting to do. My tester set up already gives the computer player a large pile of wood, so I have an immediate traffic jam in front of headquarters.

In SVN, build another option for your starting city. I call mine headquarters village. Make sure your warehouses are on the OUTSIDE of the beginning city (larger starting distance). The option to be able to make multiple starting villages is really nice! I am glad the production team created it!

Maddy

Top Quote
madtumat

Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2009-03-13, 23:48

Using the storehouse idea works well for a human player, but it will crash the system if the computer player builds it. Stick with the second method.

Top Quote
madtumat

Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2009-03-13, 23:52

Using the storehouse idea works well for a human player, but it will crash the system if the computer player builds it. Stick with the second method.

Top Quote
Tibor

Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2009-03-23, 23:39

Could it be possible to forbid storage of some material in a warehouse? When you are showing items in a warehouse, you could click on material (box) and forbid storage of the material in this warehouse....

Top Quote
Lars_Krimi

Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2009-04-15, 21:26

Sounds to me like a very good idea Tibor, I 2nd it face-smile.png

(And since the current svn's have resource management system for bulding up storages, it seems a goodnext step would be to let you manage which storehouses should store what)

Top Quote