Vassili
Topic Opener
Ranking
At home in WL-forums
Posted at: 2015-12-18, 15:45

Vassili
"Widelands is a free, open source"

What about saying he is libre?

English don't have word for libre in this context, freedom is a synonym of liberty, and free also mean "for no money".

It's why a majority of libre projects use the french (and spanish) word (english language is very close of french language).

GunChleoc
I think we could have a long philosophical discussion on FOSS/FLOSS/whatever the next acronym is. Widelands is free in both senses of the English word, so I think that the current description fits - I think it's clearer than calling it "libre and gratis".

Vassili
rms will not agreed with you, like a majority of people in the world :p

I prefer to use libre programs than just open-source than don't offer freedom exept helping a proprietary program..

For all non english speaking natives, and some english speaking natives too, free mean gratis if it's about a thing who can be buy (like a program).

GunChleoc
"This program is GPL'ed, so it is libre. We also offer it free of charge, so it is gratis. So, you can use it according to your philosophy - it is libre. It is also very clear from the description that it is. I sometimes wish people would do less bickering about terminology - discussing philosophy is good, but fighting about a keyword isn't of much use IMHO. If you would like to discuss this further, I think we should do this in a new thread, so we can keep this one is about technical bugs face-smile.png"

So why do you add "open-source"? This is a proof of you don't think yourself that "free" mean "code-readable"...
Edited: 2015-12-18, 15:52

Top Quote
kaputtnik
Version: current master
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2015-12-18, 18:27

I just looked into the licence of firefox (about:license) and there its called also free and open source.

Look on gnome.org: "Free"

Look on the qt page : "Free", with a link to wikipedia

May you want to discuss such things with greater projects than widelands?

Fight simulator for Widelands:
https://wide-fighter.netlify.app/

Top Quote
Vassili
Topic Opener
Ranking
At home in WL-forums
Posted at: 2015-12-18, 18:30

I have start to be implicated into Widelands, not in Firefox or others, but i will contact others for sure :p

The wikipedia page you link approve me: "Libre" is often used to avoid the ambiguity of the word "free" in English language; see Gratis versus libre.

Edited: 2015-12-18, 18:31

Top Quote
kaputtnik
Version: current master
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2015-12-18, 19:19

It seems there is a general consensus that "free" has the meaning of freedom in open source projects.

I have start to be implicated into Widelands

If you want to contribute to widelands your help is appreciated face-smile.png Just take a look at Contribute. Other things are much more important than philosophy on "free" vs. "libre".

Fight simulator for Widelands:
https://wide-fighter.netlify.app/

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2015-12-22, 15:04

I think philosophy is important, but I don't think that the wording on the homepage needs to change - Widelands is free in both senses of the word.

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote
Vassili
Topic Opener
Ranking
At home in WL-forums
Posted at: 2015-12-22, 19:58

Today on Twitch, i ask to people if they will play Widelands with me, one ask what is it, i say It's a libre game.

He had look here and said to me "no, he is not libre, he is open-source".

Call him stupid if you want, but you already had include tutorial for people who don't want search how to open a port and firewall...

Also, call me stupid too, i know you think it, cause all i propose is clearly rejected (exept the long rename of the french forum).

Edited: 2015-12-22, 20:01

Top Quote
einstein13
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2015-12-23, 00:31

Why are you complaining all the time?

einstein13
calculations & maps packages: http://wuatek.no-ip.org/~rak/widelands/
backup website files: http://kartezjusz.ddns.net/upload/widelands/

Top Quote
tuggyne

Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2015-12-23, 01:19

Vassili wrote:

Today on Twitch, i ask to people if they will play Widelands with me, one ask what is it, i say It's a libre game.

He had look here and said to me "no, he is not libre, he is open-source".

Call him stupid if you want, but you already had include tutorial for people who don't want search how to open a port and firewall...

Someone who nitpicks about the difference between libre and open source is not stupid, certainly. They aren't even lacking in tech-savvy. Rather, they have a very specific, very particular worldview aligned with the FSF, and are quite well educated in general.

I disagree that there's enough of a distinction to make a big fuss about it, but that's not because I think anyone who does make that distinction is stupid.

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2015-12-24, 11:57

A proposal can get rejected due to disagreement on what should or can be done - it has nothing to do with thinking anybody is stupid.

The reason that I am personally resisting a change is that I hate political correctness and the constant changing of what we call things. It's called the "Free Software Foundation" and not the "Libre Software Foundation", because its name predates the "libre" term, as I expect the description of our game does.

Edited: 2015-12-24, 12:03

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote
Venatrix
Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2016-01-02, 23:23

I never heard the term "libre" in context with a program, except the name LibreOffice. face-tongue.png
So I don’t even understand the discussion, because "free and open source" tells me it’s gratis and open source (which both is great), so why using a term not everybody understands without looking at Wikipedia or whereever?

You can tell me if I missed the point.

Two is the oddest prime.

Top Quote