Latest Posts

Topic: wouldn't it be nice to have a minable tree-friendly terrain?

kaputtnik
Version: current master
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2015-11-25, 22:39

First try for winter... winter has two types of mountain: grayish and brownish. I think the tree freindly terrains should fit with both types:

winter_00.png

It seems only coniferous trees will grow.

Fight simulator for Widelands:
https://wide-fighter.netlify.app/

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2015-11-26, 12:03

+1 for the green and deset terrains.

I think only coniferous trees is perfect for the winter terrain. It looks fine with the reddish mountains, but I find it hard to distinguish from the normal mountains. Maybe playing with brightness/saturation would be enough to fis this?

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote
king_of_nowhere
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2015-11-26, 12:13

visaully, i like it, but i think it has too much green to be believable with the snow. grass and bushes go brown when it snows.

well, now that i think about it, it could be green because of mountain pines (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pinus_mugo), so it makes sense to only find them in the mountains, so it's probably not that bad.

another problem is that it is quite difficult to see the boundary between it and the grey mountain. but there's little to be done about it: all the winter terrains are difficult to tell apart, an unavoidable side effect of containing so much white.

so, basically, i approve of it

Top Quote
kaputtnik
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2015-11-26, 21:29

I gave one of winter forested mountains a bit ochre instead of green:

winter_01.png

And here is the first try on wasteland:

wiasteland_00.png

Top Quote
king_of_nowhere
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2015-11-26, 22:30

and i think the blackland looks fairly nice. the down side is, i don't associate it particularly with fertile terrain. the up side is, the same goes for all blackland terrain. they are not intuitive as to which one will grow stuff.

Top Quote
kaputtnik
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2015-11-26, 23:02

Wasteland trees:

wasteland_trees.png

I think it would be good to have more cirrus or twine trees in it (instead of birch and beech). Is this possible? Current values are:

temperature = 70,
   humidity = 0.5,
   fertility = 0.75,

Top Quote
king_of_nowhere
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2015-11-27, 03:20

i agree that trees aren't what i was thinking about. i was thinking more coniferous should sprout with those values. strange, spruce has 60 0.7 0.5 0.6, all should be fairly close to that terrain plus low pickyness. as for cirrus and twine, cirrus likes it dry and very fertile, while twine likes mid-low values of both. both trees have high pickyness, so they don't grow outside their favored terrain. it is impossible for a terrain to grow them and coniferous trees at the same time, so we have to choose. liana is also similar in shape to cirrus and twine, but it has 120 0.2 0.7 0.6. it likes warmer terrains. again, can't have that and coniferous together.

you could give it 95 0.2 0.4, the values of twine. then almost only twine would grow there. twine has values very different from those of any other plant, so it doesn't grow much on most terrains. for cirrus it's 110 0.15 0.95. with those values cirrus would be the most favored tree, but also most wasteland trees would grow there - they like it dry and fertile. no trees from other biome would grow.

to keep the attempt to grow both wasteland (not cirrus or twine) and winter trees, maybe fertility could be lowered to 0.7 and humidity increased to 0.55 or kept constant. hopefully that would grow umbrella red, birch, and spruce. i would have liked a mix of twine and spruce, but that's not possible, unless the values of the specific trees are changed. and those values were set to keep the trees compatible with older maps, so that'sm not advisable.

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2015-11-27, 10:33

+1 for both terrains face-smile.png

I agree that twine and spruce would be nice. I don't think it's a problem if it won't work well for spruce.

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote
kaputtnik
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2015-11-27, 18:06

Because we have two terrains of type "forested mountain" we could use different terrain affinities to each terrain. So using both terrains in "random mode" (select both and set the terrain in map) will produce may more cirrus trees. If one uses only one terrain, then the mixture of trees isn't as much. I want to test this for wasteland.

But we have also another thing that needs changing: The tooltip with "treeless". GunChleoc, this is because "mountain" is parsed also as "kDry" face-wink.png

And there is the thing of how to tell the mapmaker which of the terrains would like trees. Can we live with my suggestion to add this information to the tooltip which is generated from /word/terrains/init.lua? Fe. something like:

-- The name that will be used in UI and translated.
   descname = _ "Meadow, like trees",

Or "...likes summer trees" and sort the trees in the immovable menu like that (put appropriate trees in tab "Summer trees"). Does this make sense and is it possible king_of_nowhere? If so, and we could live with the trick of storing the tree-freindlyness in the tooltip, i would ask you to change the terms in the init.lua file face-smile.png

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2015-11-27, 18:37

kaputtnik wrote:

Or "...likes summer trees" and sort the trees in the immovable menu like that (put appropriate trees in tab "Summer trees"). Does this make sense and is it possible king_of_nowhere? If so, and we could live with the trick of storing the tree-freindlyness in the tooltip, i would ask you to change the terms in the init.lua file face-smile.png

The code allows this - we need king_of_nowhere to have a look if it will work with the actual terrain affinities.

The editor categories are defined in world/init.lua, and each tree's init.lua then has an entry that picks the editor category. Only 1 category per tree is currently allowed.

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote