Topic: Some icons need updating

GunChleoc
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2015-10-28, 18:26

The following menu icons would benefit from an update:

• The Barbarian Innkeeper still uses the old ration/meal icons
  • All Carriers use the Atlantean Buckets icon. Create something off the idle animations?
  • The Barbarian Weaver has wool in his icon instead of thatch reed.

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote
kaputtnik
Version: current master
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2015-10-28, 20:27

The innkeeper and the weaver are no problem face-smile.png

Weaver Innkeeper
weaver.png weaver.png

But for the buckets i don't know .... Maybe we could make other materials (coloring) to each tribe. Or what do you mean?

Edited: 2015-10-28, 20:28

Fight simulator for Widelands:
https://wide-fighter.netlify.app/

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2015-10-29, 08:13

Thanks, these look good face-smile.png

I wouldn't want buckets at all - I just grabbed them off the Atlantean Buckets tool because I needed something. I would want something looking like a carrier, just like we have with carrier2 (Ox, Donkey, Horse) - similar to the idle animations.

Edited: 2015-10-29, 08:15

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote
kaputtnik
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2015-10-30, 19:30

Ah, ok, now i understand. We could make something like this:

carrier.png

But there are things to consider:

• I have no idea what he should carry... it should be something general. A box would be good, but boxes aren't used in widelands. Stone?
  • All other icons for workers in the menu do not have a human being in it. All workers are represented with there tools they use. So using something like above would be a great difference in comparing with the other worker icons. To be honest: Without the text i never knew which icon represents which worker face-upset.png It has been always disturbing me that in the tab "workers" no worker (as a human being) is seen ...
Edited: 2015-10-30, 19:34

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2015-10-31, 10:06

kaputtnik wrote:

Ah, ok, now i understand. We could make something like this:

carrier.png

Yes, this is what I mean face-smile.png

But there are things to consider:

• I have no idea what he should carry... it should be something general. A box would be good, but boxes aren't used in widelands. Stone?

Stone or a log would be good I think, because it's a basic building material and all tribes have it.

• All other icons for workers in the menu do not have a human being in it. All workers are represented with there tools they use. So using something like above would be a great difference in comparing with the other worker icons. To be honest: Without the text i never knew which icon represents which worker face-upset.png It has been always disturbing me that in the tab "workers" no worker (as a human being) is seen ...

I would like to see that - we need to make sure though that they don't look to similar to each other at the small scale. We also might want a side view rather than the isometric game view, which means that somebody needs to figure out how to render a different view in Blender.

Edited: 2015-10-31, 10:07

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote
kaputtnik
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2015-10-31, 11:18

Some (most?) worker animations do have a "walk_e_*.png" (walk east) which is more or less a side view. May we could combine this with a ware or a tool he produces/use.

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2015-10-31, 11:48

Maybe we should go for walkload if this is available - there might already be a ware integrated into the animation.

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote
kaputtnik
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2015-10-31, 13:47

I looked over some workers and found some images where he carry a ware. So f.e. the barbarian brewer:

brewer.png

I take a look if i find some more of such images... and will create a branch if had success.

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2015-10-31, 16:55

Thanks!

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote
kaputtnik
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2015-11-01, 12:29

So here is a first mockup where 18 icons are changed. I used sometimes a side view, sometimes other walking directions dependent on which image of the animation files the tools are better identifiable. In general i would favor the walk_se/walk_sw than the side view. In my mind some icons need additional work, f.e. the forester (column 2; row 4), the stonemason (c2; r1) or miller (c3; r4). Maybe we need additional work also for the weapon-and armor-smith.

Funny would be having a front view of the worker and he will wave his hand face-grin.png Front view and additional tools or ware displayed at the side of the worker would be the best imho. But this will require someone who is able to do it with blender because we do not have a front view of each worker. So we would have to use the images we have and modify them for our needs (i have done so for the fisher image; c3; r1)

mockup.png

What do you think?

Top Quote