Latest Posts

Topic: Flood Tool:

staustelladam

Topic Opener
Ranking
Likes to be here
Posted at: 2015-10-30, 08:08

Working in the map editor, especially on larger maps, I got to thinking that a "flood" button/tool is needed.

For most map editing a brush size of 1-10 is usually sufficient. However, when starting a new map you may sometimes want to start with a new terrain rather than the default. I appreciate that this can be amended in the terrain config files, but a button to allow "fill whole map" with desired terrain would be easier.

Following on, when your terrains are fully painted to your heart's content, it would be fantastic to be able to select "fish" or "ground water" and then be able to "flood" the whole map with this resource wherever those resources can appear, accounting for immovables etc.

I can't imagine a scenario where you would want to do this, but you may also want to flood with trees, stones or even critters. But it would be a fun map to play ... possibly.

Just an idea.

Top Quote
kaputtnik
Version: current master
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2015-10-30, 11:43

staustelladam wrote:

For most map editing a brush size of 1-10 is usually sufficient. However, when starting a new map you may sometimes want to start with a new terrain rather than the default. I appreciate that this can be amended in the terrain config files, but a button to allow "fill whole map" with desired terrain would be easier.

This is already a confirmed bug

Following on, when your terrains are fully painted to your heart's content, it would be fantastic to be able to select "fish" or "ground water" and then be able to "flood" the whole map with this resource wherever those resources can appear, accounting for immovables etc.

Hmm... this will result in maps which would be easy to create, but having a lot of fish on all water terrains or water resource even on desert terrains wouldn't be good i believe.

For me it would be nice if the editor would be capable of zooming in/out the map. So you could zoom out and place your immovables on a great area.

Fight simulator for Widelands:
https://wide-fighter.netlify.app/

Top Quote
king_of_nowhere
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2015-10-30, 14:24

setting up a default terrain when you start would indeed be useful, and i'd wished for it every time i started a new map. never felt the need for the other use; fish is the only resource that I ever want to put on all water tiles, but a quick sweeping of the map with a 10-seized brush set to maximize it will fix the issue in one minute even on a large map. also, by default there are some fish even if you don't set them, so I often don't feel the need to add them.

By the way, speaking of fish and resources: both fish and ores have a way of cluttering the map in a way that makes it difficult to see what you're doing afterwards. It becomes hard to judge how the map would actually look. I always place those resources last to minimize that. I would like an option to make those resources invisible in the editor (i.e. stop visualizing) so that it would be easier to focus on other aspects fo the map. I'd also like if it could be applied to trees, for example if i planted a forest but then wanted to better fix the elevation and texture underneath it. It would be a simple option like "hide resurces" and "hide immovables"

Edited: 2015-10-30, 14:24

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2015-10-30, 15:10

I agree that picking the terrain for a new map and hiding resources/immovables are the important functions here.

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote
king_of_nowhere
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2015-10-31, 08:54

oh, and since we are on a wishlist, I'd also like for the flood tool to be able to increase or decrease the height of all the map; I'd like to lower everything on my mountain map by 10, since there is only one small valley at the border of the map that goes lower, but all the high passes would look much better if I could raise the mountaintops a bit. But changing the height now, bit by bit, without any effective way to see which pieces I already worked, and with tiles at the border of the worked area being pulled along if the slope becomes too steep, is impossible without ruining the careful arrangement of building spaces.

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2015-10-31, 10:10

Can you open separate bugs for each wishlist item please?

I think this last one would be feasible as well.

Edited: 2015-10-31, 10:11

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote
king_of_nowhere
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2015-11-01, 13:12

I opened two wishlist: one for a global tool, which would include changing terrain texture, setting resources, and changing elevation.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/widelands/+bug/1512086

another for hiding the immovables and resources.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/widelands/+bug/1512089

I haven't made a report for your idea of zooming, but if you think that should be included, then I believe zooming should not be restricted to the editor, but could also be used during the game.

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2015-11-01, 13:50

We already have a bug for zooming: https://bugs.launchpad.net/widelands/+bug/536461

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote
staustelladam

Topic Opener
Ranking
Likes to be here
Posted at: 2015-11-18, 18:14

Aha ... some good feedback there, and I also agree with the zoom features and button to "hide resource view" ... not only does it clutter the view but when there are lots of resources it starts to make the program go slower ... maybe I just need a better graphics card than the one I have ...

Top Quote
king_of_nowhere
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2015-12-01, 09:14

i am bumping this thread to say that I am starting a 512 x 512 map, and I realized we need this tool badly. my wrist is aching from moving in circles while holding down the index and ring fingers, and i am barely at one quarter of the job. also, this was the most boring part of mapmaking ever.

Top Quote