Latest Posts

Topic: is there any plan for creating impassable cliffs?

GunChleoc
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2015-10-27, 09:29

I tried it with slope = 5 as well. The artifacts appear at the edge of the screen when scrolling and on the south slope as well. With a flat top, the building spaces icons on top of the mountain also create graphics artifacts.

In case you can compile yourself, the parameter to change is in src/logic/flag.h on top of the file.

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote
king_of_nowhere
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2015-10-27, 11:13

i am curious and would like to try, except that I cannot find any folder named src or logic or a file named flag.h in my widelands folder. maybe because i have a windows version, or maybe because i should use another program to open it.

Top Quote
einstein13
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2015-10-27, 12:25

king_of_nowhere wrote:

i am curious and would like to try, except that I cannot find any folder named src or logic or a file named flag.h in my widelands folder. maybe because i have a windows version, or maybe because i should use another program to open it.

logic / src folder is a source code. You should download it from launchpad, then you will have folders with code. After changing you can compile. But I reccomend to use Linux for that work. I like Windows to play with (most programs I use are under Win), but I work on Linux (much easier compiling and not typical settings).

einstein13
calculations & maps packages: http://wuatek.no-ip.org/~rak/widelands/
backup website files: http://kartezjusz.ddns.net/upload/widelands/

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2015-10-27, 13:28

I could let my machine compile this overnight and give you a screenshot of the problem. Or you could just take my word for it face-wink.png

I am not familiar enough with the graphics code to provide an easy fix - I expect it might be quite complex. So, it is something we might try for Build 20, but definitely not for Build 19.

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote
kaputtnik
Version: current master
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2015-10-27, 16:20

GunChleoc wrote:

I tried it with slope = 5 as well. The artifacts appear at the edge of the screen when scrolling and on the south slope as well. With a flat top, the building spaces icons on top of the mountain also create graphics artifacts.

Maybe this is related to the dithering of terrains. While creating terrain patterns sometimes i forget to index the image (with indexed images they loose their transparency). The result is quite surprising face-grin.png Some things (don't know what) gets painted on the transparent area and while scrolling these things get repeated in the transparent area.

The dithering is made with a mask (file: /world/pics/edge.png) with lunate form. Maybe with too much slope on the mountains the angles of adjacent terrains gets to obtuse/sharp and the mask does not cover all adjacent terrain patterns. Just a thought.

I played already with the mask and tried to make it a bit more smooth, but i haven't found a better form then it has now. Changing the dithering will cause great code changes i believe.

Fight simulator for Widelands:
https://wide-fighter.netlify.app/

Top Quote
king_of_nowhere
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2015-10-27, 22:24

Ah, welll, if it requires more than opening a file with block notes and changing some text in it, then it is above my capability. I'll take your word for it.

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2015-10-28, 09:15

Since I had already recompiled it, I went ahead and made some screenshots.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/widelands/+bug/1510822

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote
kaputtnik
Version: current master
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2015-10-28, 20:11

Just to show how it looks like:

screen artifacts

On my computer (linux) this appears only at the bottom of the screen. This effect appears for all surfaces above a height of 60. For all surface beneath the height of 60 nothing happens.

Fight simulator for Widelands:
https://wide-fighter.netlify.app/

Top Quote
king_of_nowhere
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2015-10-29, 19:08

GunChleoc wrote:

Since I had already recompiled it, I went ahead and made some screenshots.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/widelands/+bug/1510822

i see that you opened a bug report. now that you did, is there any chance the possibility of elevations greater than 60 will be implemented within a few months?

I have to take back what I said previously: while I won't rework the whole map, there are three high passes with elevation aboove 2000 meters (around 55 in my scale), and the player is supposed to go there - in fact they are supposed to be the focus of fighting - and they are surrounded by mountains above 3000 meters, but in my map those mountains are barely bumps on the side of the road, and no amount of playing with perspective can fix that. I'd definitely rework those areas if I could.

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2015-10-30, 12:38

I opened the bug report so that I could attach the files.

I have no idea how difficult it would be to implement this, because I am not familiar with the internals of the graphics engine. So, it might happen, and it might not.

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote