Latest Posts

Topic: Suggestion of new "Unit": Spy

Ex-Member
Ranking
Likes to be here
Posted at: 2010-01-01, 16:58

raistware wrote: If is done this way, then a fast player could send an attack out lof line of sight of his buildings, I think that this is not desirable by other developers because a player can attack with no reply. It would make a game a bitter tactic, where good reflexes can decide the game.

This already is possible with any worker (if a carrier gets lost, he might even get that far, I know that). So it's not that much of a change.

Top Quote
QCS

Topic Opener
Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2010-01-01, 18:09

Soeb wrote:

raistware wrote:

If is done this way, then a fast player could send an attack out lof line of sight of his buildings, I think that this is not desirable by other developers because a player can attack with no reply. It would make a game a bitter tactic, where good reflexes can decide the game.

This already is possible with any worker (if a carrier gets lost, he might even get that far, I know that). So it's not that much of a change.

That's basically true, but it doesn't work in a "securely planned way" - try and error many many times until it finally works that the "fugitive" gets lost in the correct direction. Not something you can count on - which would change with a spy. On the other hand, sending a geologist would basically do the same, but on a very narrow area, so maybe one can live with sending a geologist? This job doesn't take much, just one tool. I've never thought about "spying" with the help of a geologist, that just occurs to me now...

Maybe we shouldn't change anything... after all that thought.

Happy New Year everyone. Keep the good work up, I really like the game.

I'm currently working myself into the "inner mechanics" of the game and I'm impressed how much you can do with so little like the tribes description. Just for the fun of it (and because you can learn a lot about the inner workings, and balancing), I'm creating a new, very unique tribe which has certain unique properties, drawbacks and advantages, more complex economics and as far as it's working right now (far from finished), it is really different in the "feeling of playing" than the other ones. Unfortunately I lack the skills of creating graphics and animations, so I have to borrow the images from the other tribes face-grin.png

Edited: 2010-01-01, 18:10

CMake is evil.

Top Quote
sigra

Ranking
At home in WL-forums
Posted at: 2010-01-01, 22:00

QCS wrote: That's basically true, but it doesn't work in a "securely planned way" - try and error many many times until it finally works that the "fugitive" gets lost in the correct direction. Not something you can count on - which would change with a spy.

An explorer would not be completely controllable either. He would have a program like this:

consume=some food explore=40000

This would mean that he exlores 40 seconds for the food that he gets. The game engine finds a path that takes at most 40 seconds, starting and ending at home, and explores as much as possible. This could be a simple calculation that can be improved later. So no complete control.

Top Quote