Latest Posts

Topic: Out of fields

DragonAtma
Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2015-06-09, 23:18

I'd go with a higher percentage for woodcutters. Seeing as foresters are very cheap and logs are the basis of every single new building, there's no excuse not to have the woodcutters warning a LOT higher than 20% (I recommend a number somewhere around 60%, maybe even 70-80%).

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2015-06-10, 07:43

Tibor wrote:

So you will eliminate counter altogether then?

Yes, the counter is gone. It is better to have only 1 mechanic, everything else would be confusing, both in the code and for setting the parameters in the conf.

I am also publishing a notification for all buildings now and not just for mines, so once we have found good values, the AI could use them to decide when to dismantle a fisher's hut / build more foresters etc.

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote
king_of_nowhere
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2015-06-10, 21:51

DragonAtma wrote:

I'd go with a higher percentage for woodcutters. Seeing as foresters are very cheap and logs are the basis of every single new building, there's no excuse not to have the woodcutters warning a LOT higher than 20% (I recommend a number somewhere around 60%, maybe even 70-80%).

One month ago, I would have agreed. Since then, I made and playtested my archipelago sea map. it's a map where the whole land is made of small islands. almost all spots are close to water. and trees planted on the waterfront won't grow as well. most islands are so small that you can fit a single large buildings on them, and you must save those for farms. the others are even smaller, or they have rocky interiors. in both cases, most trees will die. there is very little place in the whole map that is tree-friendly. I had some islands where I had 2 foresters and 1 single woodcutter, and the woodcutter was at no more than 30%. It kept giving messages of out of fields, and it was so annoying, but there was nothing to be done about it and i needed every tree i could get.

And that's why I would like a customizable way to stop the out-of-fields messages.

Top Quote
einstein13
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2015-06-11, 14:14

DragonAtma wrote:

I disagree. For most woodcutters- yes, but when the map is big enough and have very good soil everywhere (or almost everywhere), the trees are spamming all around, but slowly. So you should have some foresters in one place and few woodcutters around to basic wood prodcution. A bit far away from that place you will build some other woodcutters (1 or 2 for each side: N, S, E, W, where is good soil). And those woodcutters will have productivity around 20-30%. But I need to test it to be sure what productivity is there face-wink.png

If you don't build those woodcutters, trees will stop your farms after few hours of gameplay.

About vineyards: they can contain up to 5 fields. 3 is still acepttable to me. Less- no. But this is my style of game. Wine for Empire is something very expensive. You don't have much vineyards, because they need some space & lots of marble. And marble is from mines that consume... wine. So in my opininon wine is expensive, what indicates that place around vineyards is quite important. 3 vines at least face-wink.png

einstein13
calculations & maps packages: http://wuatek.no-ip.org/~rak/widelands/
backup website files: http://kartezjusz.ddns.net/upload/widelands/

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2015-06-15, 09:40

I'm away from my development machine and won't be able to implement anything before the end of July. So, it would be great if those of you who can compile and have the time would test it and tweak the values in the conf files to something that works. Try 20 for 1 field, 30 for 2 fields. I haven't tried what % you would need for 3 fields or for woodcutters. We should also pay with the Barbarian Hunter's Hut and the Wells.

Edited: 2015-06-15, 09:40

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote
DragonAtma
Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2015-06-15, 13:53

einstein13 wrote:

DragonAtma wrote:

I disagree. For most woodcutters- yes, but when the map is big enough and have very good soil everywhere (or almost everywhere), the trees are spamming all around, but slowly. So you should have some foresters in one place and few woodcutters around to basic wood prodcution. A bit far away from that place you will build some other woodcutters (1 or 2 for each side: N, S, E, W, where is good soil). And those woodcutters will have productivity around 20-30%. But I need to test it to be sure what productivity is there face-wink.png

If you don't build those woodcutters, trees will stop your farms after few hours of gameplay.

About vineyards: they can contain up to 5 fields. 3 is still acepttable to me. Less- no. But this is my style of game. Wine for Empire is something very expensive. You don't have much vineyards, because they need some space & lots of marble. And marble is from mines that consume... wine. So in my opininon wine is expensive, what indicates that place around vineyards is quite important. 3 vines at least face-wink.png

Well, different people have different ways of playing Widelands. I generally cluster four or so foresters together, with five or so woodcutters in a loose ring around them. That way, I've got a steady logs supply with no risk of the trees slipping out. If I get big enough, I may need to repeat the same thing elsewhere to produce more logs. Any other woodcutters are only temporary, as they'd only be used top remove spare trees (possibly from a clueless AI who has too many foresters and not enough woodcutters!)

Top Quote