Latest Posts

Topic: Out of fields

king_of_nowhere
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2015-05-14, 20:31

described like that, it would seem that mines would ggive the exhausted message if they lack food. in general, I think the old system was good for quarries and mines, i.e. buidings whose resources are static (ot sure if fisheriies are included, i read people proposing to work on fish migration). if they cannot find resources in their working radius, those resources are not going to appear, and the buildings are exhausted. instead while a farmer may wait a bit and a field may be ready for harvesting, or a tree that blocked it may be cut. therefore, it makes sense to use two different ways to determine when the building should give a message

Top Quote
einstein13
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2015-05-14, 21:42

king_of_nowhere wrote:

Instead while a farmer may wait a bit and a field may be ready for harvesting, or a tree that blocked it may be cut.

In my opinion it should be messaged as exhausted. If there is not enough place for farm, because the forester is right next to the farm, you should have exhausted message. Also if there is not enough place for fields, but not above 90% - that amount can be spot with current planting model with full of place for fields.

einstein13
calculations & maps packages: http://wuatek.no-ip.org/~rak/widelands/
backup website files: http://kartezjusz.ddns.net/upload/widelands/

Top Quote
Tibor

Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2015-05-14, 21:56

king had good point - there are two types of buildings - with "renewable" and "non-renewable" resources. Message is shown when count of failures reaches 10. My idea was to just zero the counter when search for a field is successful. No change for mines and similar, but the difference for farms and rangers and alike.

But also GunChleoc's idea will do.

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2015-05-15, 08:49

This new mechanic is only for buildings with renewable resources. Nothing has changed for mines, quarries and fisher's huts - if you don't specify a productivity percentage, Widelands will send the message at once, just like always, because it will trigger at 100% productivity and falling. There might be a delay of 1 production cycle at the most.

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2015-05-16, 09:47

I have created a second branch which implements Tibor's suggestion. It sets the delay counter to 0 every time the worker finds what he's looking for.

I have set the counters to 2 in all conf files, so the message gets triggered when the worker is unable to find an empty field or something to harvest twice in a row. Again, this will need testing to see which values we need here. So far, I have only verified that the message gets triggered when a Reed Yard has only 1 space for fields available.

So, both solutions will work. I have no opinion at the moment on which solution is better - I guess it all depends on how easy it will be to find good values for the parameters.

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2015-06-07, 10:40

Any opinions on which solution is better? productivity threshold or resetting the counter?

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote
king_of_nowhere
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2015-06-07, 21:33

i think productivity threshold is better for farms, wineyards, and reef yards. resetting the counter is better for buildings that use non-renewable resources and woodcutters (you may want to keep a woodcutter to chop trees that spawn spontaneously,, even if it doesn't get much work).

Also, I would like a button to stop a building from giving the "out of resources" message. barbarians don't need much reeds, so a reed yard with only one field is enough, but it has low productivity and will give the message all the time. or you may want to fill an empty space with a farm, even if there isn't much room for it, but you don't need any other building and a low-producing farm is better than nothing. in those cases i would like to stop getting messages from those buildings.

Top Quote
Tibor

Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2015-06-07, 22:42

king_of_nowhere wrote:

resetting the counter is better for buildings that use non-renewable resources

if non-renewable resource (like mine) the counter will be never reseted (there will be never a success after a fail), resetting could take place only if renewable resource, like farm with shortage of empty fields...

Top Quote
DragonAtma
Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2015-06-08, 02:10

For truly non-renewable resources (rocks), it'd lock at either 100% or 0% productivity.

Top Quote
kaputtnik
Topic Opener
Version: current master
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2015-06-08, 07:55

I couldn't imagine what solution would do while game play, so may i find this week some time for testing face-smile.png

Related to farms i just want this message if a farm has really not enough space to seed one field. As king_of_nowhere says a farm with low productivity (with only one field) is better than no farm.

Related to quarrys and foresters the old behavior was good i think.

Fight simulator for Widelands:
https://wide-fighter.netlify.app/

Top Quote