Latest Posts

Topic: Forum navigation back arrow

fuchur

Topic Opener
Ranking
Widelands-Forum-Junkie
Posted at: 2015-03-26, 22:04

I read new posts just the same way as wl-zocker explained it for himself. Most of the times the 5 entries of the "Latest posts" section are sufficient. So I rarley use the forum view for a special forum. For me this is more helpful for searching a older topic.

Now I think of a little problem with changing computers. For example there is a long topic with several pages. I would have read most of them using the same computer. Now I'm somewhere else and I don't log in. Then the forum software has no way to identify me. The change of the behaviour mentioned above would mean a click on the link in the "Latest posts" brings me to the first post in the topic.

In that case I'd prefer it if I get the last post. Maybe the software can decide to create a link to the last post if the user is unknown.

(Let me add a off-topic question here addressed to the native english speakers: is it "a older topic" or "an older topic"? I remember at school I was taught that it's "an" if the next word starts with a vowel.)

Top Quote
wl-zocker

Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2015-03-26, 23:01

I would be fine with the rule "not logged in = last post", but for me that is not so often necessary (I do not change the computer that often).

Btw, I sometimes search for an older topic, too, but I am no native speaker.

"Only few people know how much one has to know in order to know how little one knows." - Werner Heisenberg

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2015-03-26, 23:11

Yes, it's "an" before vowels. Note that some words will be spelled with a consonant but pronounced as a vowel, e.g. "it is an hono(u)r" (blame the French :P). And vice versa: "A user", because "u" is pronounced like "you" (can't blame this one on the French). So, it's the pronunciation that counts, and not the spelling. Confused yet? *lol

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote
fuchur

Topic Opener
Ranking
Widelands-Forum-Junkie
Posted at: 2015-03-27, 00:05

Thanks, GunChleoc, for clarification. I didn't think of the pronunciation, but only of the notation. Maybe some times it is not clear for a non-english speaker if it sounds like a vowel or not. But at least that's a rule I can remember (hopefully) face-smile.png

Confused? Maybe a little bit. But more confused as I looked at the difference of "pronounce" and pronunciation (no "o" before the "u"). I wasn't aware of that. face-wink.png

Top Quote
wl-zocker

Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2015-03-27, 08:11

I think the only u (umbrella/user) and h (honour/house) can cause problems, and eu is always pronounced like you at the beginning of a word (e.g. Europe). I think French with their "aspirated h" (h aspiré) is much more unpredictable. And I never noticed that pronunciation is spelled (and therefore pronounced) different from pronounce. Thanks for pointing this out, fuchur.

"Only few people know how much one has to know in order to know how little one knows." - Werner Heisenberg

Top Quote
kaputtnik
Version: current master
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2015-03-27, 08:37

fuchur, could you please write a bug report on the bug tracker and describe the behavior you want?

I will try that, but it could take a long time... summer is coming, i have to work and could not spend as much time as in winter season.

Fight simulator for Widelands:
https://wide-fighter.netlify.app/

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2015-03-27, 10:19

fuchur wrote:

I didn't think of the pronunciation, but only of the notation.

Sadly, this is a common problem with how languages are often taught: they explain everything to you EXCEPT for pronunciation. So, people end up with bad accents and no learning strategies face-sad.png

Was Du schwarz auf weiß besitzt, kannst du getrost nach Hause tragen...

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote
einstein13
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2015-03-27, 11:13

GunChleoc wrote:

EXCEPT for pronunciation.

Hehe face-smile.png

In Polish pronauciation used to be very clear. Only new, foregin words are unclear for us (not pronouced as it should be in Polish). face-wink.png

einstein13
calculations & maps packages: http://wuatek.no-ip.org/~rak/widelands/
backup website files: http://kartezjusz.ddns.net/upload/widelands/

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2015-03-27, 15:20

Polish has a nice, clear spelling system too. Niemcy still have to practice all the cz and si though, otherwise we won't understand how it works face-grin.png

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote
fuchur

Topic Opener
Ranking
Widelands-Forum-Junkie
Posted at: 2015-03-27, 22:23

I filed the bug report: https://bugs.launchpad.net/widelands-website/+bug/1437493

Hopefully the explanation how it should work is understandable. And hopefully I didn't miss any side effects. face-wink.png

Top Quote