Latest Posts

Topic: To all map creators; Terrain menu

einstein13
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2015-02-16, 11:38

staustelladam wrote:

(...) and each time I download an unofficial Tino build (that is compatible with Win 32) I can't get it to install.

What do you mean? Now there is no compatibile Win32 builds, all are Win 64-bit, so you have to have 64-bit system and processor. But if you ask Tino, he can compile 32-bit version for you.

einstein13
calculations & maps packages: http://wuatek.no-ip.org/~rak/widelands/
backup website files: http://kartezjusz.ddns.net/upload/widelands/

Top Quote
SirVer

Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2015-02-16, 18:44

A 18.5 would be just as much work as a 19 and have the same implications (i.e. promises to keep savegames working). Besides they would have the exact same behavior as the nighlies (i.e. give you trouble installing) as they are build by Tino as well using the same process.

However, I think the nightlies will probably work for you. We know that installing can take a loooooooong time at 99% due to the many PNG files being written. Did you try letting the install run for say, 2 hours?

Top Quote
king_of_nowhere
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2015-03-27, 01:35

I have to say, the chance to use all terrains is very nice. I needed something resembling a rocky ground, but one over which you could still make regular buildings, and I found that wasteland hard ground is perfect for that. while desert has many hues for beaches.

However, there is some drawback: now all kind of trees can grow on a mmap, so sometimes trees that do not fit thematically will grow. I've seen wasteland trees growing on desert steppe that was conceived to be treeless. I am making a map inspired to the archipelago sea (between finland and sweded; google it if you don't know it), and it really does not fit that wasteland trees or palms could grow on it.

the editor would be even better if there was some option to artificially restrict the trees that can grow on a map.

Top Quote
kaputtnik
Topic Opener
Version: current master
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2015-03-27, 07:29

king_of_nowhere wrote:

However, there is some drawback: now all kind of trees can grow on a mmap, so sometimes trees that do not fit thematically will grow.

The main problem here is the depending terrain type <-> tree. This brings back the old differences between the worlds, which are currently not there anymore.

the editor would be even better if there was some option to artificially restrict the trees that can grow on a map.

What about placing "tree-ressources"? f.e. Placing "palm" resources on a map will let only grow palms there.

But this discussion should be discussed in a new thread.

Fight simulator for Widelands:
https://wide-fighter.netlify.app/

Top Quote
staustelladam

Ranking
Likes to be here
Posted at: 2015-03-27, 07:31

einstein13 wrote: What do you mean? Now there is no compatibile Win32 builds, all are Win 64-bit, so you have to have 64-bit system and processor. But if you ask Tino, he can compile 32-bit version for you.

I am still using Win XP ... so reluctant to migrate upwards until there really really is no other option.

I read a different thread about Tino deciding to only compile nightlies in 64-bit ... I understand his reasons, and who am I to complain. But I am sure that I'm not the only remaining 32-bit player around ... perhaps a compromise that once a week, in amongst all the other builds, one 32-bit build is implemented (for the stubborn sods like me) face-smile.png

Top Quote
kaputtnik
Topic Opener
Version: current master
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2015-03-27, 07:49

@ staustelladam: Could you please discuss your problem in another, possibly new, thread? Thanks face-smile.png

Fight simulator for Widelands:
https://wide-fighter.netlify.app/

Top Quote
fk
Ranking
At home in WL-forums
Posted at: 2015-03-27, 08:34

kaputtnik wrote:

What about placing "tree-ressources"? f.e. Placing "palm" resources on a map will let only grow palms there.

My guess about the unification of worlds is that its purpose was the ability to have f.e. a green island and a lava island on the same map. But of course editors are going to forget which tiles belong to which world.

Top Quote
king_of_nowhere
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2015-03-27, 17:59

fk wrote:

kaputtnik wrote:

My guess about the unification of worlds is that its purpose was the ability to have f.e. a green island and a lava island on the same map. But of course editors are going to forget which tiles belong to which world.

Yes, that was the purpose and I think it is definitely a good purpose. however, that would have the accidental drawback of having my map of the archipelago sea grow palms, which really doesn't fit thematically with a place with three to four months of frost every year.

Top Quote
SirVer

Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2015-03-27, 18:26

I read a different thread about Tino deciding to only compile nightlies in 64-bit ... I understand his reasons, and who am I to complain. But I am sure that I'm not the only remaining 32-bit player around ... perhaps a compromise that once a week, in amongst all the other builds, one 32-bit build is implemented (for the stubborn sods like me) face-smile.png

You misunderstand the problem here - running a build is cheap and could be done on a daily basis. The two hard things here are a) Fixing the code to compile on win32 and b) setting up a build pipeline on a windows machine that will actually do a clean compile. a) and b) are both big one time investments (days of work) and medium sized maintenance investments going forward that are not worth the cost anymore. sorry.

Top Quote
fk
Ranking
At home in WL-forums
Posted at: 2015-03-28, 09:51

king_of_nowhere wrote:

Yes, that was the purpose and I think it is definitely a good purpose. however, that would have the accidental drawback of having my map of the archipelago sea grow palms, which really doesn't fit thematically with a place with three to four months of frost every year.

It looks as if trees were forgotten when the decision was made.

Top Quote