Topic: Load map/ Save Map UI

GunChleoc
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2015-03-01, 13:06

kaputtnik wrote:

GunChleoc wrote:

I think it should rather show the properties of the map that is currently being edited, and a button to let you edit those properties. Good idea/bad idea?

In General a good idea. But as i understand you would use the same menu for loading and saving a map. Don't know if editing the properties is possible if you just want to load a map.

No, but we could make them different, no problem. I like to have things as uniform as possible, but we can have differences where it makes sense.

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote
einstein13
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2015-03-01, 19:14

From my point of view, both map name and map filename is needed. Sometimes I had lots of trouble when wanted to find a map I've played (Polish and English names can differ and then I have lots of troubles to find the correct name). Also there should be added sorting: by names, by filenames and by number of players.

About description of the map- I don't have any good idea if it is needed or not face-smile.png

einstein13
calculations & maps packages: http://wuatek.no-ip.org/~rak/widelands/
backup website files: http://kartezjusz.ddns.net/upload/widelands/

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2015-03-02, 08:56

OK, so we will want the following columns:

• Number of players
  • File name
  • Map name
  • Map size

I could add a checkbox to switch between English and translated map names, just like we have in the "New Game" menu - we won't have space for another column.

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2015-03-04, 16:55

New screenshot - the user can now toggle between filenames and map names (filenames is default) and unlocalize the map names.

In the save map screen, the details shown are always for the map to be saved. Added a button for editing these.

Save screen is on top, a localized load screen on the bottom.

Comments and ideas are welcome face-smile.png

Editor Save and Load Map Screens

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote
kaputtnik
Version: current master
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2015-03-04, 18:07

Looks great face-smile.png

The only thing i am not satisfied are some optical reasons:

In General: The background of the content of "Author", "Description" and so on should be the same as in the table (darken wood). The Headers themselve could be as now. I think this would bring more optical sorting... just an idea.

Save Map: The Field with the File name should be left adjusted. So it is related to the content of the table. Maybe the string "Filename" shold then be on top of the input field.

Load map: The buttons should be left adjusted too. Or put only the left button to the left and make the right button centric to the right side.

Maybe it is a good idea to make a horizontal rule between the button/input section on the bottom and the table/rightside section. Making it this way would seperate the buttons section and placing the buttons is regardless of the above sections.

Just to make clear of what sections i wrote... The human eye automatically searches for geometrical objects in an image. Related on the save map menu it order the menus in something like this:

save_map_sections

The blueish and yellowish sections are well to distinguish because of the scrollbar. For the greenish section there is no optical separator related to the bluish and yellowish sections. The content of this section (buttons/input field) looks somehow misplaced.

So either we can adjust the content of the greenish section to the above sections, or make it optical clear that this section stands alone by making a horizontal rule between the above sections and the bottom section (greenish).

Edit: Image updated (press F5 to reload)

Edited: 2015-03-05, 08:39

Fight simulator for Widelands:
https://wide-fighter.netlify.app/

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2015-03-05, 09:20

Thank you for your input - I will see what I can do about coloured backgrounds and/or shifting the stuff on the bottom around.

kaputtnik wrote:

Load map: The buttons should be left adjusted too. Or put only the left button to the left and make the right button centric to the right side.

I am not sure that this is a good idea. I am thinking haptic memory here - if the buttons are in the same position as in the save map dialog, then there should be less misclicks. In big screens, we always have the OK button on the right and the cancel or back button to its left.

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2015-03-05, 18:51

Next try - what do you think?

The "Map Options" and "Make Directory" buttons are broad on purpose, for other languages.

I also noticed that the Suggested Teams icons are a bit cropped, I will look into that.

Editor Save Map

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote
kaputtnik
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2015-03-05, 19:23

Great thumbsup

It's clear and structured face-smile.png

SirVer wrote:

... The okay button should be green.

I think this too.

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2015-03-05, 22:27

Glad you like - your feedback was very helpful. I will adjust the OK/Cancel buttons for the Loading screen as well face-smile.png

I did try the green button, but I thought it didn't look good. The green button isn't used in the editor at all so far, and it is to bright for the light background. So, I'd rather stick with what we have for now. However, the two button colors look very similar - we should probably do something about that.

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote
kaputtnik
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2015-03-05, 23:33

GunChleoc wrote:

I did try the green button, but I thought it didn't look good. The green button isn't used in the editor at all so far, and it is to bright for the light background. So, I'd rather stick with what we have for now. However, the two button colors look very similar - we should probably do something about that.

Than we should use the same background color for each button. A red button tells "attention" but OK is more like "Yes, all is good". Green is something like "all is good", but if green dosn't look good to the background, we shouldn't use an "attention" color for OK and use the brownish button for this.

Another thing i was stumbled is the tooltip for the description. I think it isn't needed here because the header do allways tell the user what is shown here. So the tooltip confuses more as it is helpfull. Somewhen less things are more usefull than to many. things... I noticed those tooltips on the current trunk as well in different menus (here for "Choose a map" for gameplay):

useless_toolitp

A tooltip which shows something on a place which do not show anything is confusing. So better leave it ... especially if the header do allways tell what is shown. Just my opinion face-smile.png

Edited: 2015-03-06, 00:00

Top Quote