Latest Posts

Topic: New Barbarian Lime_kiln Model

chuckw
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2015-02-26, 15:15

I have started work on the new model for the barbarian lime_kiln.

The old graphic: o and where the model stands at the moment: n

My search for references uncovered many examples from around the world. Here are links to two that inspired me the most: kiln1 kiln2

In fact, I used kiln2 to create the stone texture of the kiln's exterior. I included the intput (stone, coal and water) and output (mortar) wares and attempt to at least hint at the process of production. You can probably figure out where I plan to put the house. face-smile.png

The house will come along shortly, but I wanted to flesh out the details of the kiln first.

What do you think?

I see little people.

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2015-02-26, 16:04

It looks very unique face-smile.png

Does the picture you took as the texture have a GPL compatible license?

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote
chuckw
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2015-02-26, 17:19

GunChleoc wrote:

It looks very unique face-smile.png

That is a very good question. I will double-check and if I cannot determine that it does, I will change it.

I see little people.

Top Quote
wl-zocker

Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2015-02-26, 18:32

It looks very unique

Indeed. That will help to distinguish the building from others and adds some variety. I like it.

output (mortar)

Currently, the output is named grout. If you think that should be changed, please speak up (you're a native speaker).

"Only few people know how much one has to know in order to know how little one knows." - Werner Heisenberg

Top Quote
chuckw
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2015-02-26, 19:32

wl-zocker wrote:

It looks very unique

Indeed. That will help to distinguish the building from others and adds some variety. I like it.

Thanks.

output (mortar)

Currently, the output is named grout. If you think that should be changed, please speak up (you're a native speaker).

My use of "mortar" vs. "grout" came unconsciously. face-smile.png It is what I called the color of the material in the buckets.

According to the Masonry Advisory Council of the U.S. grout, mortar and concrete are all pretty much the same thing, i.e. cement combined with water and some kind of aggregate (sand, gravel, etc.) How they mainly differ is in the ratio of water to cement and aggregate, what is called "slump".

"Grout is a material used in reinforced masonry that is quite misunderstood. Grout is not mortar and grout is not concrete. It is somewhere in between. For a rapid visual concept of what grout is, let's call it "soupy concrete". Soupy concrete may give the proper connotation and understanding because it is made up of a cement/water combination which is the paste that binds together the aggregate, which may be sand only or sand and gravel. These are the same ingredients that make up concrete: cement, water, sand and gravel. This is even similar to mortar, which is cement, water, sand and instead of gravel, lime." - Masonry Advisory Council of the U.S.

The key to Widelands use of the product from the lime_kiln lays in limestone's role in the making of cement. "Cement is manufactured through a closely controlled chemical combination of calcium, silicon, aluminum, iron and other ingredients. Common materials used to manufacture cement include limestone, shells, and chalk or marl combined with shale, clay, slate, blast furnace slag, silica sand, and iron ore." - from the Portland Cement Association

So I say let's continue to call the output "grout". It is perfectly fitting. face-smile.png

I see little people.

Top Quote
wl-zocker

Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2015-02-26, 19:44

My use of "mortar" vs. "grout" came unconsciously. face-smile.png

If a native speaker uses words unconsciously, that word could be the better choice. I merely asked because GunChleoc is planning some renaming, so we could have done that in one go. However, that is not necessary. Thanks for looking up the definitions.

"Only few people know how much one has to know in order to know how little one knows." - Werner Heisenberg

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2015-02-26, 20:12

Yes, thanks for double-checking face-smile.png

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote
kaputtnik
Version: current master
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2015-02-26, 22:15

LGTM face-smile.png

Because of threshold of originality this isn't really relevant i think.... but i am not an advocat. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Threshold_of_originality

Fight simulator for Widelands:
https://wide-fighter.netlify.app/

Top Quote
chuckw
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2015-02-26, 22:27

The old graphic: o and where the model stands at the moment, limekiln1: 1

I checked on the photo that I had used for the original texture of the kiln and I could not determine what licensing, if any, that it has. Therefore, It now uses a known GPL graphic for its texture. Thanks for the reminder, Gun. face-smile.png

My intended working animation, as already suggested in the graphic, will be the smoke from the house and the kiln (which is completed) and a flickering fire glow in the top of the kiln (still to be done.) Sorry, but no visible workers this time around. That animation will have to wait until I get models for the rest of the buildings that currently have none. The good news is that list is getting shorter. face-wink.png

So any comments on what I've presented? It looks a little different at the size it will be in the game, doesn't it? face-smile.png

I see little people.

Top Quote
wl-zocker

Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2015-02-26, 22:38

Are you already in a state where you can post screenshots from the building inside the game? It looks very nice so far, but I'd like to see it in comparison with other buildings, espicially to see how the hill looks in the Widelands world.

Top Quote