Latest Posts

Topic: German translation issues

GunChleoc
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2015-02-23, 10:06

Venatrix wrote:

GunChleoc wrote:

All the "official" entries have comments on them, so if you see something without a comment, it's up to you if you wish to fill the entry or not. I also recommend that if you add a new entry or see one without comment, that you add a comment.

Yeah, about that: I don’t know what categories are used there. For example I have added „food“ and don’t know, what I should write in the comment.

I think "Ware category" would make sense here.

You can get an overview of the comments I used if you export the glossary to a csv file.

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote
Venatrix
Topic Opener
Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2015-02-23, 10:36

GunChleoc wrote:

• Host = Host, es geht hier ums Netzwerk im Glossareintrag. Ich hab das mal im Kommentar ergänzt.

Ok, Host klingt vernünftig; ist komplett ersetzt.

• metaserver → Metaserver: Richtig.

Ist im Glossar eingetragen.

• tab = Tab oder Reiter. Kategorie paßt definitiv nicht.

Kategorie aus dem Kommentar entfernt.

Edited: 2015-02-23, 10:50

Two is the oddest prime.

Top Quote
millimarg
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2015-02-23, 11:47

To come back on our “ancient issue”:

Venatrix wrote:

How about “seltsam”, “sonderbar”, “fremd” or “fremdartig”?

If we don't take something like “geheimnisvoll”, either “sonderbar” or “fremdartig” seems to be a good solution to me. Maybe rather “fremdartig”, since it is an atlantean building. What do you think?

Top Quote
millimarg
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2015-02-23, 11:50

And about quotation marks:

As Venatrix and wl-zocker said before, they use „ “. If this is OK for all, we could document this in the wiki and change the last “wrong translated” strings.

Top Quote
Venatrix
Topic Opener
Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2015-02-23, 15:20

millimarg wrote:

Maybe rather “fremdartig”, since it is an atlantean building. What do you think?

Sounds good to me.

Two is the oddest prime.

Top Quote
Venatrix
Topic Opener
Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2015-02-23, 20:23

I added a section about the quotation marks „“ in the wiki and exchanged them at Transifex. So I mark this topic as solved.

Edited: 2015-02-23, 21:02

Two is the oddest prime.

Top Quote
Venatrix
Topic Opener
Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2015-02-24, 20:18

Back to the discussion about words in the glossary: "tab" and "watch tab" (where the comment refers to "tab").

I had a look, where "watch tab" is used and how it’s translated. It’s not used that often, but most of the cases (2 of 3) translated with "Beobachtungsfenster", in the last case with "Beobachtungsreiter". I could live with both but we should make it consistent.

"tab" is another topic. In most cases it’s translated as "Tab", though there are "Reiter" translations, too. As I’m sometimes a bit old school, I prefer "Reiter".

What are your opinions?

Two is the oddest prime.

Top Quote
Venatrix
Topic Opener
Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2015-02-24, 20:31

And again another topic: the translation of "scout" as "Erkunder" always seemed a bit odd to me. I think there was a discussion about that a long while back, but I’m not sure about that.

Either way, as duden.de doesn’t know the word, I’m even more inclined to change that worker’s name completely. Suitable translations in my opinion are "Kundschafter" (as used in the Barbarian campaign for the scouts giving Thron messages about the war), "Aufklärer" or "Späher". I lean to the first one.

Of course that would mean to change three glossary entries and some (surprisingly not that many) translations. The verb could stay "erkunden". I’m not fond of the synonyms, duden.de tells me. face-wink.png

Two is the oddest prime.

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2015-02-25, 07:11

I think "Späher" might be more appropriate

Wikipedia link

http://dict.leo.org/#/search=scout&searchLoc=0&resultOrder=basic&multiwordShowSingle=on

Edited: 2015-02-26, 09:37

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote
wl-zocker

Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2015-02-25, 18:35

I do not like "Späher", it implies that the main task is to spy the enemy (cf. "Spähturm"). Since Widelands's focus is building up an economy and not attacking the enemy, I prefer "Kundschafter". Scouts can also be used to find mountains or the sea and should therefore not be reduced to the military task.

@GunChleoc: Could you make sure your links work before sending your post? Otherwise, everyone will have to correct them manually.

"Only few people know how much one has to know in order to know how little one knows." - Werner Heisenberg

Top Quote