Latest Posts

Topic: [German] du, Sie, Ihr

Venatrix
Topic Opener
Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2015-02-20, 13:15

So… I don’t have any trouble with being addressed to with ”du“ as a player. And it’s alright that it’s not capitalized.

But: In the scenarios most people talk to their leader and still address them with ”du“? That doesn’t sound right. In most cases I would expect an ”Ihr“ or at least a ”Sie“, depending on the relationship to the leader. Let’s take a look:

Barbarian campaigns
Boldreth is a close friend of Thron, so he probably has the right, to say ”du“.
Khantrukh acts more respectful and should use ”Ihr“ in my opinion.

Empire campaigns
Saledus calls Lutius ”Sire“ (at the beginning at least, he becomes more intimate at the end of chapter one already), so I guess, ”Ihr“ is appropriate?
Amalea on the other hand… She talks, as if he’s her brother or fiancée or something, though that is never explained in detail, he only told us, that he took his family with him. On the other hand does she call him ”dear friend“ in the second chapter… I don’t think, the campaign programmers thought too much about the relationships of the characters.

Atlantean campaign
The people talk to each other in a very polite way. I’d suggest to let Jundlina call everyone ”Sie“ and the others call her ”Ihr“ (or ”Sie“, too?)

Two is the oddest prime.

Top Quote
millimarg
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2015-02-20, 13:28

Since Widelands is set in earlier ages I would prefer using “Ihr” instead of “Sie”. The capitalised version of “du” should IMHO never be used, since it is neither a letter nor any other “message” (hope you understand ...).

If you begin thinking about relationships and so on, IMHO we would need a complete rework of all the scenarios. So this way, I think we should consider getting as much consistency as possible in the German translations by “setting the relationships on our own”.

Boldreth is a close friend of Thron, so he probably has the right, to say ”du“.

Khantrukh acts more respectful and should use ”Ihr“ in my opinion.

Saledus calls Lutius ”Sire“ ... so I guess, ”Ihr“ is appropriate?

Agreed.

Amalea on the other hand…

IMHO she could call him “du” ...

The people talk to each other in a very polite way. I’d suggest to let Jundlina call everyone ”Sie“ and the others call her ”Ihr“ (or ”Sie“, too?)

I think they should all call each other “Ihr”.

Top Quote
wl-zocker

Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2015-02-20, 16:25

I have not read through the campaign texts, but from what I remember and from what you wrote, I agree with you in all points. Are there any sources when "Sie" was used first?

About the character relationships: You could file a bug report on Launchpad (or create a branch yourself, if should not be that big) when you have a complete overview over where are inconsistencies?

"Only few people know how much one has to know in order to know how little one knows." - Werner Heisenberg

Top Quote
Venatrix
Topic Opener
Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2015-02-23, 21:44

wl-zocker wrote:

I have not read through the campaign texts, but from what I remember and from what you wrote, I agree with you in all points. Are there any sources when "Sie" was used first?

It has not been used at all, on the contrary, only "du" seems to be used in all texts.

About the character relationships: You could file a bug report on Launchpad (or create a branch yourself, if should not be that big) when you have a complete overview over where are inconsistencies?

Uh… Well, I guess, I could make an overview and file a report… I had hoped for less work. face-wink.png

First check: The Barbarian campaign is consistent in regard to relationships. It changes the style in the second chapter, but that’s acceptable. So it’s "du" for Boldreth and "Ihr" for Khanthruk.
The Atlantean campaign is consistent too, so they all shall use "Ihr".

I have updated the wiki page for those campaigns.

Edited: 2015-02-23, 22:50

Two is the oddest prime.

Top Quote
wl-zocker

Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2015-02-24, 07:55

Uh… Well, I guess, I could make an overview and file a report… I had hoped for less work.

You already sorted two campaigns out, so only one left to go. If you do not want to create a branch, you do not have to - when we have an overview, this will be quite easy to fix.

I have updated the wiki page for those campaigns.

Thanks. Such a wiki page was needed badly.

"Only few people know how much one has to know in order to know how little one knows." - Werner Heisenberg

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2015-02-24, 08:56

If you should note inconsistencies in characters' behaviour in the English source strings, please do let us know so we can fix it.

Thanks for keeping things organized face-smile.png

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote
Venatrix
Topic Opener
Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2015-02-24, 09:23

I just did a report: https://bugs.launchpad.net/widelands/+bug/1424950

Two is the oddest prime.

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2015-02-24, 10:04

And I just found this: https://wl.widelands.org/wiki/EmpireStoryEmpireProtagonists/ - maybe it can help with rewriting the English texts. Any volunteers? Maybe we should set up a new thread in Game Suggestions.

ETA: Collected them all: https://wl.widelands.org/wiki/DevelopmentgameContent/ - can somebody please make "Main Page" back links?

Edited: 2015-02-24, 10:09

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote
Venatrix
Topic Opener
Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2015-02-24, 10:39

GunChleoc wrote:

And I just found this: https://wl.widelands.org/wiki/EmpireStoryEmpireProtagonists/ - maybe it can help with rewriting the English texts. Any volunteers? Maybe we should set up a new thread in Game Suggestions.

Nice finding. Though the description is different from the observations I made when reading the talks. face-wink.png Maybe we should slightly change the description in the wiki? Is there a way to contact Nasenbaer somehow? He seems to be away from the project…

ETA: Collected them all: https://wl.widelands.org/wiki/DevelopmentgameContent/ - can somebody please make "Main Page" back links?

Ugh, you really need to dig through the pages to get there…

Two is the oddest prime.

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2015-02-24, 11:29

Venatrix wrote: Nice finding. Though the description is different from the observations I made when reading the talks. face-wink.png Maybe we should slightly change the description in the wiki? Is there a way to contact Nasenbaer somehow? He seems to be away from the project…

I think he would be fine with an update. wl-zocker also reworked the Barbarians, so this kind of thing isn't a problem.

Venatrix wrote:

Ugh, you really need to dig through the pages to get there…

Yep. I added a link in the translation help face-smile.png

Edited: 2015-02-24, 11:30

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote