Topic: Barbarian Scouts_hut Remodel

chuckw
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2015-02-15, 22:48

GunChleoc wrote:

wl-zocker wrote:

The scout would have to be a quantum particle to achieve that.

My thoughts exactly. You could still try to localize him by interference.

Wait a second, localization is our job here, not his face-tongue.png

Doppelgänger

I see, you learn face-smile.png How do you make the ä on an English keyboard?

You can get "international" layouts for the English keyboard. The average English speaker won't notice the difference, but it does allow you to type a lot more stuff. Of course, they won't be installed by default...

On another note, confusing ei and ie happens a lot to English speakers, because they would pronounce both the same. In German "ei" is pronounced "aye" (as in Albert Einstein) and "ie" is pronounced "ee" (as in Spiel).

I do know the difference in the German pronunciation of ei and ie, I just have a terrible memory of proper spelling. face-grin.png

I see little people.

Top Quote
chuckw
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2015-02-15, 23:17

wl-zocker wrote:

they would pronounce both the same

How would an English speaker pronounce ei and ie without context and how in Giebel? I ask because in English, the pronounciation in unpredictable (at least to me). Just four words that cam to my mind: ceiling, weird, die, fierce. If you want more, search for the poem "The Chaos" (can you pronounce everything correctly in the first try? face-tongue.png ).

I certainly agree that pronunciation of many English words is most inconsistent, e.g. the number "eight" (ayt), the measurement "height" (hite), the conjunction "either" (ee-thur) and hundreds of other examples to add to the confusion. It is what happens when a language gets assaulted over hundreds of years by invading cultures (Norse, Saxons, Celts, Romans, etc.) But all languages evolve, especially nowadays with the internet shrinking the planet down to a global community.

If nothing else, it keeps translators occupied. face-smile.png

I believe German has its idiosyncrasies, also. The practice of combining descriptive words with their subject into long, unbroken strings of text, like "Rindfleischetikettierungsüberwachungsaufgabenübertragungsgesetz", is one example. Okay. I know that word has been officially dropped from the German language, but you get my point. face-grin.png

I see little people.

Top Quote
wl-zocker

Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2015-02-15, 23:36

I believe German has its idiosyncrasies, also. The practice of combining descriptive words with their subject into long, unbroken strings of text, like "Rindfleischetikettierungsüberwachungsaufgabenübertragungsgesetz", is one example. Okay. I know that word has been officially dropped from the German language, but you get my point.

I agree. But in German, you can use hyphens almost whenever you want, and "Rindfleisch-Etikettierungs-Überwachungsaufgaben-Übertragungs-Gesetz" already looks nicer, doesn't it? And in English, I sometimes fail to find the end of the composite noun and the beginning of the verb. Now combine that with a relative sentence starting without a copula and I have to read a sentence three or four times.

It is what happens when a language gets assaulted over hundreds of years by invading cultures (Norse, Saxons, Celts, Romans, etc.)

German was also exposed to many foreign languages (which language was not?), especially Latin and French. The main difference is that German has always reformed its orthography so that the pronounciation and the spelling have never diverged too much.

"Only few people know how much one has to know in order to know how little one knows." - Werner Heisenberg

Top Quote
chuckw
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2015-02-17, 18:24

Now back to the original topic of this thread. face-grin.png

After some tweaking here and there, the new model looks like this in comparison to the original.

The tower is now free-standing and a little bit larger. I haven't yet done anything with animation.

Comments?

I see little people.

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2015-02-17, 18:28

Nice face-smile.png

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote
Tibor

Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2015-02-17, 18:42

Great, do you have some screenshots from a game yet?

But is not the building bit big - for a smal building?

Top Quote
chuckw
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2015-02-17, 18:48

Tibor wrote:

Great, do you have some screenshots from a game yet?

Not yet, but I'll post some shortly.

But is not the building bit big - for a smal building?

I kept the hut itself similar in size to the original hut and amusing space that is available in the "small building" plot on the map. Scale of the graphics is always a balancing act. Let's see how the scouts_hut looks in a game with other buildings around it.

I see little people.

Top Quote
chuckw
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2015-02-17, 19:20

I did have to shrink the graphic and, though the base of the tower is not on the road in this image, we are still exposed to the z-layering problem with the tower on the left side of the hut.

I'll try it on the right side.

I see little people.

Top Quote
Tibor

Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2015-02-17, 19:35

When I compare donjon and scout's tower - the proportion does not look good to me.

Top Quote
chuckw
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2015-02-17, 19:41

This seems to work better with regard to the z-layering issue with road traffic. Probably because the entire tower is north of the building's hot spot. I didn't bother with a player color mask for this trial.

Comments?

I see little people.

Top Quote